Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:57 am

If ABZ was to become a contract lounge, I wonder how this would affect the little known eligibility for GCH's lounge access when flying to the islands on 125 ticketed Loganair BA Codeshare flights? Do contract lounges follow the same eligibility guidelines?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jonrross
If ABZ was to become a contract lounge, I wonder how this would affect the little known eligibility for GCH's lounge access when flying to the islands on 125 ticketed Loganair BA Codeshare flights? Do contract lounges follow the same eligibility guidelines?
Third Party lounges don't follow this guideline. I guess if (e.g.) ABZ temporarily used the new Swissport lounge pending other arrangements then something could be arranged for the interim. Also LGW North did offer this codeshare arrangement for Vueling via the No. 1 Lounge, when given that BA was leaving North and leaving Vueling's loungeless anyway it would have seemed sensible to end it before the move to No. 1.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Please note I was quite specific when I said the domestic lounges were under review. That is simply in the context of the ongoing BA cost cutting agenda. The current BA ABZ lounge WILL be closed by Aug 6th due to terminal redevelopment. Hopefully the earmarked area in the new complex will indeed open under a BA banner, but it is at risk.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:26 am

Seems to be largely conjecture then.

The existing lounge closing - already known. New BA lounge may or may not be part of a larger serviced facility - we will see. BA may or may not be doing a review of domestic lounge provision - we will see (airlines always keep costs under review so it would be surprising if they didn't have different options for evaluation).

So what is news here?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:34 am

..... the news is that 'domestic' (pleural) lounges are being reviewed, not just ABZ. Regardless of conjecture, this is something we need to be aware of whether it happens or not.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by simons1
Seems to be largely conjecture then.

The existing lounge closing - already known. New BA lounge may or may not be part of a larger serviced facility - we will see. BA may or may not be doing a review of domestic lounge provision - we will see (airlines always keep costs under review so it would be surprising if they didn't have different options for evaluation).
That would be my evaluation of it, from what little I know, subject to the usual temporary infrastructure teething problems that are well understood in this forum. I've checked with a BaxterStorey and a BA marketing staffer and neither knew anything about it. The latter pointed out that if you look at EDI, with the largest Gold and Prem membership outside London, you would be hard pressed to configure anything other than the existing arrangement or something fairly similar. So there isn't any big money to be saved, there isn't the space in the other EDI lounges, but potentially a huge amount of revenue that could be lost. ABZ oil money still counts for something, BA sell quite a lot of ABZ-IAH for example.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by gw76
..... the news is that 'domestic' (pleural) lounges are being reviewed, not just ABZ. Regardless of conjecture, this is something we need to be aware of whether it happens or not.
Really.

Well the OP actually says "apparently BA are now asking the question on why they are maintaining separate lounges in the domestic out-stations (ABZ, MAN, NCL, GLA, EDI) given their current cost focus". No mention of a review at all. Of course it wouldn't be FT if this doesn't get interpreted as a review is underway and the end is nigh, however when I read things caveated along the lines of "apparently", and the source is a friend working for the airport, I tend to let it all drift by.

Apparently BA are now asking the question on why they are maintaining separate lounges in the domestic out-stations (ABZ, MAN, NCL, GLA, EDI) given their current cost focus.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Does the definition of "review" not including asking questions?

Given the relentless (and appropriate) focus on "delivering a cost competitive platform" and the challenge to all staff to identify cost saving opportiunutues it is a safe assumption that questions have been asked about all service and operational elements.

Perhaps this is not news and discussion here will probably not make much difference to BA's plans in any case but I think sharing snippets of insight should be encouraged here, not frowned on.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
Perhaps this is not news and discussion here will probably not make much difference to BA's plans in any case but I think sharing snippets of insight should be encouraged here, not frowned on.
^
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Unless there's a named source or documentary evidence to substantiate, I'll consider this just another rumour.

Move along, nothing new to see here...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
Unless there's a named source or documentary evidence to substantiate, I'll consider this just another rumour.

Move along, nothing new to see here...
Since when were named sources or documentary evidence requirements to post an observation, comment or question on FT? I must have missed a change to the posting rules.

Moot point I guess - since there is nothing to see here you won't see this post either I assume.

As as a point of real data - I happened to be in the pre flight dining area in the ORD lounge last year following the IAG takeover of EI while some of the BA and EI senior teams were discussing integration of operations at ORD. This included the migration of EI pax to use of the BA lounge, a debate around optimization (i.e. reduction) of office space for the combined team and a comment that IAG leadership we're looking at all outstation and contracted services with an eye to cost cutting.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have a high level contact at the airport. I will ask and try to verify the OP's post.
I spoke with my contact at the airport today who confirmed that the existing lounge is being demolished and that there would be a new - relocated - BA lounge. I see this is as a positive and not a negative.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I beg to differ. Given wider current concerns about fake news and 'alternative facts', I am frankly surprised that this thread, based as it is on pretty much nothing, and blessed as it is with a grossly misleading title made even more ludicrous by an inappropriately hysterical use of a blood red thumbs down sign, has been allowed to meander along for so long. Since there seems to be no evidence that the provision of lounges at domestic locations is any more 'under review' by BA than is the provision of flights from LHR to New York City, wouldn't it be better for everyone to give up on this thread and focus on those that contain at least some element of non-fiction?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by CCayley
I beg to differ. Given wider current concerns about fake news and 'alternative facts', I am frankly surprised that this thread, based as it is on pretty much nothing, and blessed as it is with a grossly misleading title made even more ludicrous by an inappropriately hysterical use of a blood red thumbs down sign, has been allowed to meander along for so long. Since there seems to be no evidence that the provision of lounges at domestic locations is any more 'under review' by BA than is the provision of flights from LHR to New York City, wouldn't it be better for everyone to give up on this thread and focus on those that contain at least some element of non-fiction?
The problem with the thread title is that is seems to imply that there's a link between the Aberdeen lounge closing and some review of the viability of lounges in general. In reality the Aberdeen lounge is being demolished (and replaced) as part of an investment plan and the suggested 'review' is really nothing more than speculation at this point.

Oh, the joys of FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:19 pm

Does the definition of "review" not including asking questions?

Given the relentless (and appropriate) focus on "delivering a cost competitive platform" and the challenge to all staff to identify cost saving opportiunutues it is a safe assumption that questions have been asked about all service and operational elements.

No problems sharing information, but I think it's important to separate fact from rumour and conjecture.

But as we are at it I'll let you into a secret. BA are continually reviewing all aspects of their business both in the air (routes) and on the ground. Inevitably that includes lounges which are a major overhead. I didn't even need some gofer in Aberdeen airport to tell me that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.