Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I was just chuckling to myself about posting photos on FT. I always only seem to get early shots of the lounge. This one as a building site, last time it was Nairobi after the fire
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22049037-post18.html
BHD on opening day was ok though
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
BA ABZ Lounge

There have been plenty of previous posts on the ridiculous BA situation of only giving Silver Economy flyers a 5 voucher (tea and a bacon roll = 6.90) while they refurbish their own lounge, but this morning there wasnt an agent in sight to even get the voucher from prior to the flight boarding, making a silly situation even worse.

Come on BA, get it together.
hugolover and redpalmetto like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by antichef
I went past on Thursday morning and took these snaps though the windows from the corridor
Thanks for the photos; looks to be the new lounge concept like FCO judging by the bar.

A pretty messy site though; the contractor needs to do better!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by antichef
I went past on Thursday morning and took these snaps though the windows from the corridor
Looking good and on schedule; I hear that the opening date is now Tuesday 15th May.....we'll see!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
And I fly to Lagos on the 13th and still not quite gold yet.... argh 😂
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
Love the new functional furniture, though they are almost out of Coke, I hope they top it up soon.
Alright you made me laugh out loud.

You may redeem your free beer at any lounge.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Been to Aberdeen yesterday.

If you're worried about not getting your voucher, you can get one at check-in, too.

The PP lounge is ok-ish. Brew dog beer, full-sized Irn Bru bottles to pilfer for the flight, decent cake, crisps, and sweets, but the food was stale when I got there.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass

The spoilsports have now put plastic film over the windows to keep us in suspense!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
Been to Aberdeen yesterday.

If you're worried about not getting your voucher, you can get one at check-in, too.

The PP lounge is ok-ish. Brew dog beer, full-sized Irn Bru bottles to pilfer for the flight, decent cake, crisps, and sweets, but the food was stale when I got there.
Didnt help me last week when I went hand luggage only and bypassed the check in desk altogether expecting to see somebody through in departures lol.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It would surely seem odd to introduce a new policy of closing domestic lounges just when they are re-introducing domestic CE.
Unco-ordinated service delivery decisions, by BA, surely not </sarcasm>
Old May 7, 2018, 11:18 pm

Ok so yesterday I had to make a last minute booking to London for a visa appointment, down and back from ABZ on the same day.

no space on this mornings BA Flight so heading to LCY with FlyBe (Operated now by Eastern Airways), returning BA from LHR this evening.

check in this morning and Get the Sir, you may use FastTrack and you can access the Eastern Airways lounge before your journey....

Officially now treated better by an airline I rarely fly than by BA who get 90% of my business when departing from ABZ....

Oh and i should still get some Avios since its before Avios programme shuts down. Just missing the few TPs.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Whats the T3 lounge like?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:56 am

Well the eastern airways lounge in ABZ is a bit of a non event, but got a coffee and a seat :-).
Old May 8, 2018, 4:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by duncgor
Oh and i should still get some Avios since its before Avios programme shuts down. Just missing the few TPs.
The Avios programme on Flybe will be continuing, they will have their own standalone mini site like Vueling.

In a way Flybe are doing the same as BA - pay for the cheapest ticket and you get no lounge access. Buy an "All In" fare from Flybe and yes it includes lounge access (where they have them, which isn't many places) and Fast Track. Buy the much cheaper "Just Fly" and you will get neither. On BA it's exactly the same, lounge access and fast track with Club Europe, and if status free neither on a Basic fare. And spookily enough, CE costs about the same as "All In", (305 and 299 respectively). You can also get POUGs and AUPs on BA fares, at 65 a shot, which may well bring the fare cost down.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:12 am

My point was though that with the BA lounge being closed for refurb my lowly Silver status doesnt get me lounge access at the moment on an economy flex ticket. It gets me a ridiculous 5 voucher which buys virtually nothing from the available outlets.

economy flex with Flybe got me the lounge etc. Problem will go away when the new BA lounge opens or I hit Gold whichever comes first, but the point remains that silver FFs with BA flying economy have been getting a raw deal for months now despite their loyalty.
hugolover likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.