Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Match.com and eHarmony subscriptions via Gate365’s US portal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Match.com and eHarmony subscriptions via Gate365’s US portal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I had the basic subscription fee track, but not the add-on's. Unfortunately, given it probably wouldn't have worked to do a partial cancellation, I called Match.com to cancel the whole thing. It took about 3 mins and received an email confirmation from the immediately. No pain involved and no need to do a chargeback. If I had only done the basic subscription, I probably would have let it ride.
Per the Match.com contract (#24) one can cancel within three business days for a full refund. I called and after a two minute conversation, canceled my membership and received an email informing me of my pending refund of $584.27.

Like others, I only received a pending notice from BA of 30,000 Avios.

You, the buyer, may cancel this agreement, without penalty or obligation, at any time prior to midnight of the third business day following the original date of this contract, excluding Sundays and holidays. To cancel this agreement, mail or deliver a signed and dated notice which states that you, the buyer, are canceling this agreement, or words of similar effect. This notice shall be sent to: Match.com, Attn: Cancellations, P.O. Box 25472, Dallas, Texas 75225, USA (in addition, Ohio users may email us by clicking here or send a facsimile to 214-853-4309). Please include your match.com username and email address in any correspondence or your refund may be delayed. If you cancel, Match.com will return, within ten days of the date on which you give notice of cancellation, any payments you have made. If you send or deliver the notice to cancel your subscription agreement within such three day period, we will refund the full amount of your subscription.
http://www.match.com/registration/membagr.aspx
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Eharmony account closed with no refund given...

I went for both the Match.com and the eharmony deal. The match.com points are showing up as pending, but my eharmony points haven't yet.

To make matters worse, I just got an email from eharmony saying that my account has been canceled based on "a review of account information and activity" and that no refund will be issued.

I wasn't planning on using the account (I'm married), but I'm angry at the prospect of the thing (cancelling an account after 1 day with no refund whatsoever - and not being able to tell me why they canceled it.)

This all begs the question - shouldn't I get my eharmony avios, even if my account is closed? (no refund offered) What should I do?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ron187
I went for both the Match.com and the eharmony deal. The match.com points are showing up as pending, but my eharmony points haven't yet.

To make matters worse, I just got an email from eharmony saying that my account has been canceled based on "a review of account information and activity" and that no refund will be issued.

I wasn't planning on using the account (I'm married), but I'm angry at the prospect of the thing (cancelling an account after 1 day with no refund whatsoever - and not being able to tell me why they canceled it.)

This all begs the question - shouldn't I get my eharmony avios, even if my account is closed? (no refund offered) What should I do?
In all honesty, I don't think you have cause to get angry, you were trying to cheat a company to get a service you didn't want by your own admission in order to get Avios.

That having been said, not here to judge, I'd speak to your card provider and ask for a charge back.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
In all honesty, I don't think you have cause to get angry, you were trying to cheat a company to get a service you didn't want by your own admission in order to get Avios.
How is he cheating the company if he paid for the product/service using an offer the company made on conjunction with BA? He paid for the service why should the company care if he uses it or not and why is it unethical to pay for some service or product you don't want? If I buy a chocolate bar and then don't eat it have I cheated the grocery store? If I buy cable TV and don't watch TV have I cheated the cable company?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:33 pm

How was I cheating the company? I paid them money for their most expensive service, filled out their questionnaires and a profile. Whether or not I choose to go online and login to use the service is my business not theirs. I didn't steal anything from them and I was not planning on asking for a refund.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
How is he cheating the company if he paid for the product/service using an offer the company made on conjunction with BA? He paid for the service why should the company care if he uses it or not and why is it unethical to pay for some service or product you don't want? If I buy a chocolate bar and then don't eat it have I cheated the grocery store? If I buy cable TV and don't watch TV have I cheated the cable company?
Leaving the morality issue aside (which is pretty obvious if you actually think about it), but he is clearly breaking eHarmony's terms and conditions.

Marital Status. By registering to use or using the Singles Service, you represent and warrant that you are single or (if legally married) separated. If you are married and not separated, you may not register to use or use the Singles Service.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:41 pm

Leaving the morality issue aside (which is pretty obvious if you actually think about it).
It isn't to me but there is no point arguing we will just agree to disagree here.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:42 pm

Definitely didn't see the marital status terms or conditions. (However, I do think that the marital status portion is put in there for eharmony's legal status - they don't want to be facilitating cheating in marriages, which was completely different than my situation.)

You would still think that they would issue a refund - it seems like a pretty good deal for them to take my money and run. Guess I'll have to make a call to Chase to have them cancel the transaction.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
It isn't to me but there is no point arguing we will just agree to disagree here.
Fair enough, happy to disagree; morality is an individual decision essentially as to whether it is morally right or wrong, something may be legal but not moral.

Equally, eHarmony are within their rights to cancel without refund when the contract has been broken as in this case. It is item 1b (the second paragraph) in the terms and conditions so hardly hidden. As I suggested, speak to your card company and ask for a charge-back.

Last edited by navylad; Mar 3, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Fair enough, happy to disagree; morality is an individual decision essentially as to whether it is morally right or wrong, something may be legal but not moral.

Equally, eHarmony are within their rights to cancel without refund when the contract has been broken as in this case. It is item 1b (the second paragraph) in the terms and conditions so hardly hidden. As I suggested, speak to your card company and ask for a charge-back.
On what grounds?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Holy crap let's talk about the promotion itself and the social justice warriors get over themselves.

I want my avios. All 70,000 of them :-(
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
On what grounds?
do you mean on what grounds it is a breach of contract or on what grounds to request a charge-back?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the deal dead? I can't see it (but logging in from outside the US), i do see eharmony, but being marreid don't think eharmony would let me sign up.

Was on the phone to cancel a reservation that won't cancel online and the agent was promoting avois estore and the name change. Call took a while so i started shopping.

Ended up buying a ton of magazine at 70 avois / dollar. The 80 avois / dollar site just won't run any of my credit cards - and the 70 avois site did have a better selection. A few travel magazines, but no airline magazines that would be a hit with this crowd. Some train magazines- but not the same appeal. Using a mailforwarder that scans my mail, and i can trash the ones i don't want. The electronic version of the economist is pricey and low hassle - but i think i would actually gift that to my wife.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by ron187

same thing happened to my sister. she legit-ly was planning on signing up for a site and i thought the timing couldn't have been better. told her about the offer and she went through the gazillion eharmony questions and opted for a measly basic 3 month package. the price was high so i found her a coupon code (legit - i can still see it advertised from an eharmony site) to apply to the order. she tried signing on tonight when i told her no british airways tracking information had appeared yet (unlike the early match.com orders people have been reporting) only to find her account closed - no email, notification or explanation given. she called and was told to contact risk management and said the rep told her the decision for a refund would be made with a higher up team. risk management replied w a generic form letter. we both think eharmony is super shady. just tried calling and they're closed for the day; will try to call eharmony myself tomorrow to see if the charge will be refunded or if we'll need to do a chargeback. from OMAAT it seems there are more reports of cancelled accounts now. urgh.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Very, very shady practices. Essentially stealing money. And all you lawyers trying to say it's OK for eHarmony or match to close accounts without a refund need to get their head checked for reality.

Both my accounts are closed without any explanation. I am us resident who is obviously single.

​​​​​In this case I'm all for the bloggers to cause a shitstorm. It's one thing to provide a refund another to close accounts and steal money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.