Europe flights

Old Feb 25, 17, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Europe flights

So, I've already booked tickets from the US to MAN this summer. We need to book some flights within Europe and back to MAN for our return flight to the US. I am new to the points game and have seen mutilple posts about the short haul redemption being good on BA. However when I checked it didn't seem that good and with the surcharges it's even worse. Am I missing something or does anyone have other recommendations for where to use points for flights within Europe ?
Old Feb 25, 17, 12:14 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
I imagine you're thinking about RFS (Reward Flight Saver) redemptions, which can indeed be extremely good value in some circumstances.

For many short European flights, they're available for 4,500 Avios on peak dates (less on off-peak) and a fixed cash fee of 17.50 - that's for one-way, in economy. For last minute bookings, or for those on extremely popular days, they can be a lifesaver when revenue prices are high.

At other times, when prices are lower, you may well be better off just buying a normal fare.

Of course, the one thing you will need is an Avios based account - and as you're in the US, perhaps you don't and this is why the value doesn't seem as good?
Old Feb 25, 17, 1:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Manchester has a very limited range of flights to Europe, without connecting via London. Connecting flights double your price.
Old Feb 25, 17, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
I imagine you're thinking about RFS (Reward Flight Saver) redemptions, which can indeed be extremely good value in some circumstances.

For many short European flights, they're available for 4,500 Avios on peak dates (less on off-peak) and a fixed cash fee of 17.50 - that's for one-way, in economy. For last minute bookings, or for those on extremely popular days, they can be a lifesaver when revenue prices are high.

At other times, when prices are lower, you may well be better off just buying a normal fare.

Of course, the one thing you will need is an Avios based account - and as you're in the US, perhaps you don't and this is why the value doesn't seem as good?
In addition you need to have activity within the last year to be able to access RFS flights.
Old Feb 25, 17, 2:09 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Whereabouts are you going?
Old Feb 25, 17, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters View Post
Manchester has a very limited range of flights to Europe, without connecting via London. Connecting flights double your price.
+1. BA short haul redemptions are only good value on point to point, preferably off peak, definitely Y only, and conditional to your having access to RFS. Oh and of course subject to availability which is often good but less so on heavy days such as summer weekends to desirable destinations.
Old Feb 25, 17, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad View Post
Whereabouts are you going?
Probably first to krakow, I see that I would have to go to London first which is fine. I'm flying business to Europe but I'm totally ok with economy within Europe. I have an avios account but I have never flown BA. I have MR and UR available for redemption. So it seems like to get avios redemption I have to at least flown them once in the past?
Old Feb 25, 17, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
Probably first to krakow, I see that I would have to go to London first which is fine. I'm flying business to Europe but I'm totally ok with economy within Europe. I have an avios account but I have never flown BA. I have MR and UR available for redemption. So it seems like to get avios redemption I have to at least flown them once in the past?
Ryanair, EasyJet and Jet2 all fly direct from MAN-KRK. One of those would likely be your best bet, unless you specifically want to spend time in London.

Remember redeeming avios would cost 35 each way in cash alone for MAN-LHR-KRK, plus 9,000 avios. You may well find the direct flights cost a similar amount with no avios needed.
Old Feb 25, 17, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Ryanair, EasyJet and Jet2 all fly direct from MAN-KRK. One of those would likely be your best bet, unless you specifically want to spend time in London.

Remember redeeming avios would cost 35 each way in cash alone for MAN-LHR-KRK, plus 9,000 avios. You may well find the direct flights cost a similar amount with no avios needed.
exactly
Old Feb 25, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
added that the connection options on the KRK flight can be limited. in the winter timetable there is not flight to MAN you can catch after the flight from KRK arrives.

In the summer timetable its a bit of a mixed bag, some days you make connections some days you do not
Old Feb 25, 17, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I will check these other airlines and see what I come up with. I appreciate all the input.
Old Feb 27, 17, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by choff5507 View Post
So it seems like to get avios redemption I have to at least flown them once in the past?
No, as long as you have Avios you can redeem them for short-haul flights, at the same number of Avios as are being posted in this thread.

However, the benefit of Reward Flight Saver is that instead of paying the full amount of the taxes, fees and charges on the award ticket, you pay an RFS flat fee of 17.50 per sector (if redeeming in economy). To qualify for this benefit, you must have collected at least one Avios in the past year. But this affects only the cash amount; the number of Avios required is the same as if you don't qualify for RFS.

Search this Thread