FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How manual are BA's "systems" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1824937-how-manual-bas-systems.html)

OSIModel Feb 24, 2017 6:26 pm

How manual are BA's "systems"

When you call for a change to a flight and they need to re-calculate fairs, it actually sounds like they are manually adding up different data points. Is this correct?

It would sound much easier If they had a system were they could load the booking and automatically get the data it needed, a lot of time is taken to change details - how manual of a process is this, are they actually adding up different quires?

Surely a system that could generate this

PHP Code:

Booking  results for XYZ32DF

LEG A 

Upgrade to Club World cost 
$1200 (Change Fee is XFair Difference is Y and Taxes is XY)
Upgrade to First cost $4000 (Change Fee is XFair Difference is Y and Taxes is XY)

Enter date range to calculate booking change cost 

JAXBA Feb 24, 2017 6:59 pm

It's not quite there but they're not using an abacus either...

Currently the agent has to check availability, rebook the flight, run the booking through Amadeus Ticket Changer, which if it works, gives the answer. Want another option? Rebook again, run ATC again. Repeat.

If ATC doesn't work (previously reissued tkt, award booking, wrong time of month), then someone with more system access and training needs to get the calculator out. That was my job.

Anonba Feb 25, 2017 12:00 am

To add to the answer given by JAXBA, ATC when it works gives a nice neat popup that displays fare tax change fee and service fee (if applied).

If someone wanted to confirm a change this also allows the agent to take payment and reissues the ticket too.

There is a way to quote which is semi manual, as it requires someone to choose a date to backdate fare to if this is needed and it gives total fare and tax for itinerary.To get quote you need to then take the fare and tax figures quoted and compare them to figures on ticket and check the change fee to apply.

This method also requires the ticket sent to backoffice for reissue.

OSIModel Feb 25, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks both!

catandmouse Feb 25, 2017 10:03 am

I must admit it seems laborious. Not quite the same thing, but yesterday I had to change flights at flight connections due to a late incoming flight. BA had apparently rebooked us on a later flight, but the amount of typing on the keyboard to get me, my wife and our bags on to the later flight was impressive. Indeed I got the impression that the segment was re-ticketed (presumably with BA absorbing the costs). I certainly spent more than 5 minutes with the agent (who looked as though she knew what she was doing), when I simply expected 2 new boarding passes to be printed and handed to me.

OSIModel Feb 25, 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse (Post 27956973)
I must admit it seems laborious. Not quite the same thing, but yesterday I had to change flights at flight connections due to a late incoming flight. BA had apparently rebooked us on a later flight, but the amount of typing on the keyboard to get me, my wife and our bags on to the later flight was impressive. Indeed I got the impression that the segment was re-ticketed (presumably with BA absorbing the costs). I certainly spent more than 5 minutes with the agent (who looked as though she knew what she was doing), when I simply expected 2 new boarding passes to be printed and handed to me.

Maybe If they invest in better systems they wont need to spend as much on keyboards!