Which Hong Kong Lounge

Old Feb 24, 17, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
Which Hong Kong Lounge

Hello all

Thanks to some excellent advice from this forum, myself and my wife enjoyed our first First with BA to Hong Kong last week. The overall experience was absolutely excellent.

Sadly we are departing from Asia on Sunday night to head home. Given the 2330 departure we felt it was not worth the extra avios for First as we are likely to go straight to sleep, so we are flying home Club World.

I have a question regarding which Hong Kong lounge people would recommend? We have a 6 hour layover so may nip into the city but most likely will stay at the airport.

As I say, we are flying in CW and my Mrs ScotInAfrica is BA Gold

Thanks in advance

ScotInAfrica
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:02 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
For me, Head to Cathay Pacific "The Pier" by far the best if not one of the best lounges in the OneWorld network, Full table service dining, treatments, Showers and good drink selection,

Usually then head to the Qantas lounge nearer boarding time as its above the gate the A380 usually leaves from.

One important note is that if you have checked luggage use the Luggage Service (In Town Check In) at the Hong Kong Station the night before or later in the day as the BA Checkin does not open till 3 hours before departure (Strictly)
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, BA GfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
The QF lounge is spacious but has limited drinks and poor food, but is as cgtechuk states, close to the gates which BA uses. The CX Pier maybe a great lounge but its a long-way from the BA gates. There is of course the CX Wing, which is much closer to the BA gates (5-10 minute walk) than the Pier. Doc Copper

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Feb 24, 17 at 7:15 am
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
Hello

Fantastic, thanks for the info.

We have plenty time and will welcome a stretch of the legs after our 3 hour hop from Bangkok so will definitely check out The Pier

Thanks

ScotInAfrica
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I've also got a four hour layover in HKG in a few weeks. I'm Gold, partner is Silver, we'll both be arriving on BA travelling First, onward connection is Y in DragonAir. Similar question to ScotInAfrica... can we get in to any of the lounges, and is there a hierarchy as I'm a bit confused between all the choices at HKG e.g. Pier, Wing, Cabin, Bridge etc.?
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:20 am

Programs: OZ*G, LA/Emerald, StarbucksHK Lifetime Gold
If you have some time (6 hours is quite a lot) and are willing to do the leg work, why not lounge hop your way through HKIA to experience some of the best lounges in the OW network. Personally I would recommend the following route: The Wing -> QF Lounge -> The Pier but it all depends on where your arrival gate is from Bangkok as there are several transfer security areas in HKIA.

The Wing has the stunning Cabana for relaxation and a nice bath before a long flight, the QF lounge (although a business class lounge) have modern decor just to balance out the CX atmosphere. If you have time then head to The Pier at the 60-70 area as its more intimate and the dayroom are beautiful. Just note that you will need to walk back as there is no return train back to the low gates.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lucanesque View Post
I've also got a four hour layover in HKG in a few weeks. I'm Gold, partner is Silver, we'll both be arriving on BA travelling First, onward connection is Y in DragonAir. Similar question to ScotInAfrica... can we get in to any of the lounges, and is there a hierarchy as I'm a bit confused between all the choices at HKG e.g. Pier, Wing, Cabin, Bridge etc.?
As gold you can get into all Lounges

Wing/Pier - First Class Lounges
Bridge/Cabin - Business Class Lounges (Also the Wing has a business class section)
xmrbrightside89 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:25 am

The CX Pier and CX Wing each have separate first and business class sections. As far as I recall, at the Pier these are two separate areas. For the Wing, first is on the upper level and business on the lower level. The Bridge is for first & business class pax in one lounge. Dragonair (or Cathay Dragon as it is now known) has its own lounge. Gold should get you access into the CX first lounge but unsure about guesting rights. I have never been into the Cathay Dragon lounge. Doc Copper
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
I'd also recommend going to the Pier F lounge (which is by gate 63) first for dinner/drinks/massage then head down to the QF lounge to wait for boarding. The Pier is an absolutely amazing lounge and in my opinion (and out of the lounges I've visited) the second best oneworld lounge after the QF SYD Flounge.

It is quite a long walk from gate 63 (where the Pier is) to where the BA flights usually depart from and the transit system won't be available as departing passengers can only travel in the opposite direction.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This thread has a lot of good material in it, including links to 4 other threads essentially asking similar things.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hong-kong.html

If you are Gold then the Pier is a great experience, however from personal experience if you get to the Qantas lounge in the slipstream of the Qantas departures, the range of fresh food is better there, and arguably the drink too. Certainly there's more salads, fruit and vegetables over there.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lucanesque View Post
I can answer some of this.

Ask BA to check your bag onto your final destination. Will save you hassle at HKG. Also see if you can get the boarding pass - this way you will have no need to go through immigration.

Given you have 4 hours I would go to the wing F lounge guesting your wife. I would then use a cabana (note vastly superior to the BA LHR one) where you can have a bath or shower. Also a nice place to relax after a long flight.

Then if you can find out the gate for your next flight, I would decide whether the Pier is an option. If gate is higher than 50 (I think) off you go to the pier for food and drinks. If not I would remain in the Wing and have something to eat.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
. Certainly there's more salads, fruit and vegetables over there.
They had deep-fried jalapeno poppers on the go in the Bridge lounge last night at HKG. Does that not count?
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond
This thread has a lot of good material in it, including links to 4 other threads essentially asking similar things.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hong-kong.html

If you are Gold then the Pier is a great experience, however from personal experience if you get to the Qantas lounge in the slipstream of the Qantas departures, the range of fresh food is better there, and arguably the drink too. Certainly there's more salads, fruit and vegetables over there.
Agree with CWS that QF lounge is a great choice if caught at the right time of the day.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Ask BA to check your bag onto your final destination. Will save you hassle at HKG. Also see if you can get the boarding pass - this way you will have no need to go through immigration.

I would then use a cabana (note vastly superior to the BA LHR one) where you can have a bath or shower. Also a nice place to relax after a long flight.

Then if you can find out the gate for your next flight, I would decide whether the Pier is an option. If gate is higher than 50 (I think) off you go to the pier for food and drinks. If not I would remain in the Wing and have something to eat.
Great tips - thanks stevie

This thread has a lot of good material in it
Thanks c-w-s

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper View Post
The CX Pier and CX Wing each have separate first and business class sections. As far as I recall, at the Pier these are two separate areas. For the Wing, first is on the upper level and business on the lower level. The Bridge is for first & business class pax in one lounge.
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle View Post
As gold you can get into all Lounges
Wing/Pier - First Class Lounges
Bridge/Cabin - Business Class Lounges (Also the Wing has a business class section)
Thanks DoctorCopper & Forever in Seattle, that explains the lounge choice

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
They had deep-fried jalapeno poppers on the go in the Bridge lounge last night at HKG. Does that not count?
Yes, it's one of your five a day
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
They had deep-fried jalapeno poppers on the go in the Bridge lounge...

Search this Thread