Proper printed ticket

Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Proper printed ticket

Flying to Newcastle in a few weeks but wondered about something.

Is it possible to check in on your phone to day before, and then go to the airport to print off your ticket? I don't want to use my phone because I need to save my battery as much as possible on the day I fly. I also don't want to use the self service machines because the tickets are basically paper and always end up torn in my pocket.

How do I go about getting a proper printed ticket like a few years ago, despite checking in on my phone the day before?

​​​​​​​Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You mean your Boarding Pass?

Yes you can check in on your phone and then get a printed one at the airport.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Yep you can print one off easily just ask for it.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:40 am

Do make sure you ask for your boarding pass. Asking for a print-out of the ticket could cause confusion.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
there all paper now i think, i dont think BA hold any card stock, but i cannot be certain.

Someone with more knowledge will confirm soon
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The boarding pass issued at check in desks at T5 (i.e. not those issued at the self service machine) is still the card version.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Do make sure you ask for your boarding pass. Asking for a print-out of the ticket could cause confusion.
What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jamestg
What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing?
No - a ticket is what entitles you to get a boarding pass. Historically tickets were issued on paper but they are now (virtually) all e-tickets. You should have your e-ticket receipt in your email inbox somewhere.

Your boarding pass nowadays shows your ticket number, but it is not in itself your ticket.

Also note that your ticket can cover multiple flights, whereas (on BA anyway) you get a separate boarding pass for each flight.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
A paper ticket is from the old days...

Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Also note that your ticket can cover multiple flights, whereas (on BA anyway) you get a separate boarding pass for each flight.
Whereas AB can print multiple flights, including BA flights, on one boarding pass

Sometimes BA want to exchange this for separate boarding passes, sometimes they accept the multiple flights passes on one document
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jamestg
Flying to Newcastle in a few weeks but wondered about something.

Is it possible to check in on your phone to day before, and then go to the airport to print off your ticket? I don't want to use my phone because I need to save my battery as much as possible on the day I fly. I also don't want to use the self service machines because the tickets are basically paper and always end up torn in my pocket.

How do I go about getting a proper printed ticket like a few years ago, despite checking in on my phone the day before?

​​​​​​​Thanks.
I frequently do this.

you can get a boarding pass issued from one of the machines or from a checkin deskdesk. if you are checking in luggage you usually get issued a paper/card boarding pass
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:44 am

What you're looking for is really a printout of the e-ticket on the boarding card stock.

They sometimes do this if you're rebooked onto different flights where they'll give you a printout showing what changes have been made.

It's obviously not a paper ticket - so no good for travel.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Newcastle definitely use the card type boarding passes at the desk, they used to also use the card type in the machines too (the machines have now been enhanced).

Manchester used to be an oddity (not sure if it still is - always HBO with mobile boarding passes). The machines had card boarding passes and the desk had the flimsy paper ones.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
A paper ticket is from the old days...

Henkybaby, that's not really a ticket from the old days! Back in the 1960s / 1970s and 1980s (?) tickets were printed on flimsy paper with (I seem to recall) each sector on a separate tear-out sheet, with up to about six sectors max per 'book'. If more than six sectors the additional sectors were in another 'book' and the 'books' were stapled together. Doc Copper
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I frequently do this.

you can get a boarding pass issued from one of the machines or from a checkin deskdesk. if you are checking in luggage you usually get issued a paper/card boarding pass
Do you need to be going business or have a high FF status to use the check in desks? I'm only a mere blue D:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.