Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 'Long-Haul Hunger' - The Times

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You party with the sexy Qatar while the annoying sister BA sits at home, doing housework like cleaning the CCR cabanas?
What a coincidence you should mention QR. I've got four sectors with them coming up in the next ten days or so
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Surely some sectors (EZE, GRU, LAX??) would have had two full meals in Y at some point in time?
I have done all of these in F and J and they did not used to get two full meals (that is full - I don't count breakfast in that context) in F or J. I would be amazed if they did in Y.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was responding to BrunswickSq's existential question for BA. It isn't so much the safe aspect, more that the primary purpose of an airline is people transportation, and that BA do!
That is true enough but, then, IME, that tends to be true of airline carriers in general and I think that I am probably not going out on a wild limb by stating that most people are reasonably aware of that: to my knowledge, relatively few people go to their dentist or grocer with the expectation that they will provide them with transportation to the other end of the globe.*

So, yes, your statement does help us in determining why one would tend to go to BA rather than going to a corner shop or a BMW dealership. I am not entirely sure whether it tells anything as to whether one would go to BA rather than any other airline when looking for air transportation. I may be wrong but I have a sneaky suspicion that the post you were replying to had more to do with the latter question than the former.

*: although, admittedly, in some very rare instances, they might go to their electrical appliance store.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pa...0ff3996f224a92

News of BA's enhancements have even reached the Times. In today's issue regular columnist Janice Turner writes that she spent an 11 hour economy flight '[I]ravenous'[/I] concluding that [I'this penny-pinching will finish its status as a blue chip brand'.[/U][/U][/I]
Flying WTP to LAS in a few days, already know to stock up on Pret on the way. Pathetic really. Fly VS on the same route and there's a bountiful supply of food, right the way down to little ice cream tubs being handed out 'just because'

Massively noticeable.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You are confusing BA with an airline that cares!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You party with the sexy Qatar while the annoying sister BA sits at home, doing housework like cleaning the CCR cabanas?
I've never seen evidence that BA does any cleaning

Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You are confusing BA with an airline that cares!
Sad - you and I both used to work for an airline that cared!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not worried anymore!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I have done all of these in F and J and they did not used to get two full meals (that is full - I don't count breakfast in that context) in F or J. I would be amazed if they did in Y.
Why isn't breakfast a full meal? BA's WT+ TATL muffin is admittedly not a full meal, but I'd say the fruit, coffee, omelette, roll, orange juice etc that you get on CX J LHR-HKG is a full meal...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: If Easyjet gave status....
Originally Posted by Calchas
There was formerly a second meal service on certain routes. It was removed last year, see July's enhancements.

You are right in that it was not substantial, but it was better than one small chocolate bar.

KLM still offers two hot meals in Y on certain long routes, as far as I know.
Flew in Economy Comfort (more legroom, Y service) to Osaka recently. You couldn't possibly be hungry. Food service (from memory):

Drinks / pretzels
Meal (starter / salad / main / pudding)
Noodles / odds and ends available from the Galley at any time
Ice Cream / drinks run
Drinks
Meal (starter / main / puddling)

Appreciate it's a long flight, but KLM do at least seem to want to keep you fed and watered the whole time.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by NickB
That is true enough but, then, IME, that tends to be true of airline carriers in general and I think that I am probably not going out on a wild limb by stating that most people are reasonably aware of that: to my knowledge, relatively few people go to their dentist or grocer with the expectation that they will provide them with transportation to the other end of the globe.*

So, yes, your statement does help us in determining why one would tend to go to BA rather than going to a corner shop or a BMW dealership. I am not entirely sure whether it tells anything as to whether one would go to BA rather than any other airline when looking for air transportation. I may be wrong but I have a sneaky suspicion that the post you were replying to had more to do with the latter question than the former.

*: although, admittedly, in some very rare instances, they might go to their electrical appliance store.
I would never visit a BMW dealership

Sometimes I wonder if we become so focused on the experience around air travel (like the food) that we forget about its primary objective, so, in my opinion (), my context is relevant.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
Why isn't breakfast a full meal? BA's WT+ TATL muffin is admittedly not a full meal, but I'd say the fruit, coffee, omelette, roll, orange juice etc that you get on CX J LHR-HKG is a full meal...
In my view because it is a smaller lighter offering akin to afternoon tea. By full meal my definition would be at least three substantial courses. In this article the journalist mistakenly, and without explanation of the assumption, believed that she would get a full (i.e. multi-course) lunch and later in the flight another full multi-course dinner.

My point is BA have never offered two full meals in any cabin on even the longest routes - a point which could easily have been fact checked.

Some see inexactitude as unimportant; I personally find it colours my view of the whole piece. I am not convinced that BA's brand will be damaged by a journalist's criticism which arises partly from unrealistic assumptions.

I would also urge people to think why non-stories like this appear in newspapers. Is it as a service to readers or part of some hidden game between major corporations?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA

I would also urge people to think why non-stories like this appeal in newspapers. Is it as a service to readers or part of some hidden game between major corporations?
Ok.

I (for one) am now thoroughly convinced.

In the real world, I don't imagine anyone ever goes hungry on a BA l/h in Y (let alone J or F) ; or could possibly have any justified gripe about perceived degradation in BA catering standards/quality/choice/variety/quantity. And certainly not Times journalists. Off with their heads !!

Personally I'm blaming the 'major corporations' .......
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong, we serve two full two meals on many meals daylight flights from Asia.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Wrong, we serve two full two meals on many meals daylight flights from Asia.
As in three course starter/main/dessert? I was not aware of that and happy to admit I'm wrong.

I was however thinking of flights to the Americas and Africa where I for one have never seen a full second meal. The article was about a flight to Mexico City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.