Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways -refusing to refund prebooked seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways -refusing to refund prebooked seat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:08 am

I have a slightly different problem with BA and it not refunding a seat reservation.

My husband who has no status was flying in Club last November and reserved a 'normal' seat for £22. A few days before the flight he noticed 2D on the Embraer 190 was available which many will know is a seat that has lots of legroom, the cost of that seat was £28.

He moved to 2D but instead of being charged the difference in seat costs of £6, he was charged the full £28.

Here we are 3 months down the line and we have still not had the original £22 refunded despite completing the online claim form and calling 3 times.

I'm writing it off now because £22 is simply not worth the effort but I'm not happy about this on principle. I wonder how many others have given up on getting similar refunds...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ReadystEDIgo
He moved to 2D but instead of being charged the difference in seat costs of £6, he was charged the full £28.

Here we are 3 months down the line and we have still not had the original £22 refunded despite completing the online claim form and calling 3 times.
It that situation you best call up and pay the £6 rather than adding to the problem with another payment, but 3 months is too long. Make one last call to BA, note down all the details, including the agent's name, and then ask your credit or debit card company to recall the money. For debit cards this may not always work. But 3 months is too long to be waiting on this, given that manual refunds are apparently taking about 3 weeks at the moment.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by navylad
I won't pile in on the OP, but do understand his frustration. Hopefully, you can resolve your lack of IFE with BA. I think I would have taken the less leg-room for the IFE (and then you would have a case for a refund), but then I'm only 5ft 10.

Do they still have the tablets loaded with the IFE they could have used CIHY? It is certainly worth ensuring that you have options for alternative entertainment (I download a couple of films to my phone for this eventuallity, but a good book, magazines or the like may be useful), IFE can fail on any airline with no options to relocate you if it doesn't work throughout the plane. That having been said, the onus shouldn't be on the individual providing their own entertainment when they have paid for IFE, hence the offer of Avios.
We haven't had the preloaded iPads onboard for a couple of years now, they were onboard when we had the 18 channel video system in First.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

So glad that I was referred to this site and for joining.

Many thanks all of you for taking the time to respond to my query. I'm going to take your advice and move my Avios and use them on other airlines etc.

A really great informative site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.