Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should I waste my time? - F redemption LAX-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I waste my time? - F redemption LAX-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
Should I waste my time checking constantly? - F redemption LAX-LHR

Hi all

I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but I hoped to call on collective wisdom of FT.

I did try and do a search but to get specific enough, the search function excludes most of the words as they are "too common"!

I have an Avios booking made with a 2-4-1 in early May flying LHR-LAS and LAX-LHR. I managed to bag First on the LHR-LAS (this will be our first First - thank you FT!). Despite booking on the release date, I could only get J on the LAX-LHR leg. The key question - Should I waste my time constantly checking for availability to upgrade my ticket to F?

Since May I have been checking every couple of days to see if F availability opened up but alas no luck. I should mention that a friend checked the numbers on our flight and F cabin is still almost totally unsold (i.e. 9+ available).

I am wondering if, on that route and with your experience, you would suggest not bothering and just being happy with Club? Does F redemption availability ever open up on LAX-LHR (we need 2 tickets)? If so, is there a pattern to it?

Of course, I am not turning my nose up at F one way and J return (on the A380) but F both ways would make it even more special - it's a big anniversary trip!

On a related, but very separate, note (sorry for hijacking my own post! ) - since we fly out of LHR T3, there shall be no CCR experience for us . I have heard that the new CX First lounge in T3 is worth checking out - any other tips for maximising a first First out of T3 specifically??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by A406toHeathrow; Feb 20, 2017 at 8:44 am Reason: Grammar and additional point re. loads
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Leaving aside the issue of availability and opportunity cost of Avios, I'd say definitely yes.

My own 2p is that a JFK-LHR o/n leg in J is not worth upgrading but LAX-LHR definitely is, every time. If it's a special trip, all the more reason IMO. Good luck.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My opinion... absolutely take F when on a 2-4-1. The tiny uplift of 30,000 (?) for both of you to come home in F on A380 is a no brainer, even on overnight.

It's a decent length to appreciate dinner, sleep & breakfast

There's loads more space than J - and you can then compare the two (747 out vs 380 home) !

I don't think there's too much chance of two seats coming up on your date, but if it does don't hesitate !

Last edited by mikeyfly; Feb 20, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
F for that length of flight and on the A380 is definitely worth it IMO
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by A406toHeathrow
Should I waste my time constantly checking for availability to upgrade my ticket to F?
Why not just get an ExpertFlyer account and set an alert?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's somewhat annoying on the 2-4-1 is if one F seat comes up, you will not be able to grab.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
Thanks for the advice so far - I should note that my main question is whether availability ever opens up on LAX-LHR. I am definitely not questioning if I should bother if it does!

On a humorous aside, I had originally entitled this thread "Will I ever get lucky on F LAX-LHR?" and then realised before I submitted that it might attract some very different responses. I had visions of tawdry experiences being retold a la @PUCCI GALORE - hmmm on second thoughts maybe I missed a trick not leaving the original title intact
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, availability does open up, at any random time between now and departure, but it is a tough route to get it, there are some full price First passengers on that sector! Just check every morning, the release is just after midnight GMT. Best period is 2 or 3 days before departure.....
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:47 am

Definitely go to the Cathay Pacific First lounge in T3 - it's far superior to anything else there and feels nicer than the Concorde Room, with better service - the only thing lacking is the LPGS.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BA silver
You might consider other departure points from the west coast. Don't rule out PHX, SJC, SAN or SFO for example. I managed a 241 in first out to SJC and back from PHX for October in the last couple of weeks just by looking every day. Remember there's a change fee of Ł35 too but well worth it
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Why not just get an ExpertFlyer account and set an alert?
I am finding quite a discrepancy between what Expert Flyer finds and what is available doing an actual search on BA. EF shows "no availability" yet there is when performing a manual search on BA ( Looking at YYC-LHR Business Class Award/Upgrade). Thus doing a Seat Alert on EF may not pick up the availability.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I am finding quite a discrepancy between what Expert Flyer finds and what is available doing an actual search on BA. EF shows "no availability" yet there is when performing a manual search on BA ( Looking at YYC-LHR Business Class Award/Upgrade). Thus doing a Seat Alert on EF may not pick up the availability.
That's odd. I think that most of us who use EF find that it's extremely accurate for BA awards.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's odd. I think that most of us who use EF find that it's extremely accurate for BA awards.
I don't want to de-rail this thread but I can send you some examples. Perhaps I am doing something wrong on EF?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:49 pm

Slightly back-to-basics question here but can you actually upgrade a single leg of a 2-4-1 using Avios?
When I tried it, the website said you can't upgrade a redemption flight using Avios.
I guess you have to get the call centre to do it?
Is there then no fee, given that it can't be done online?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You call and it's a change fee of Ł35 pp - different to an off line service fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.