Which aircraft who does have wifi?

Old Feb 18, 17, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Which aircraft who does have wifi?

Is that ready? Which aircraft who does have wifi for long-hauls or short-hauls flight? If they have wifi on entire triple 777-200ER aircraft or not. If they installed it. I'm flying out PHL-LHR-BSL on British Airways. Can I used wifi or not? Also, coming back home from BSL-LHR-PHX, too. Do they have wifi on 747-400 aircraft or not.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 18, 17, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Wifi has not been officially launched on BA yet, although it is coming to all shorthaul Airbus aircraft later this year IIRC.

I believe the refurbished 747 fleet (which is about half of the total 747 fleet) have been fitted with wifi, but this has not been activated yet. One 747 aircraft was trialled with it last year.

I would prepare not to have wifi on your flights.
Old Feb 18, 17, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Wifi has not been officially launched on BA yet, although it is coming to all shorthaul Airbus aircraft later this year IIRC.

I believe the refurbished 747 fleet (which is about half of the total 747 fleet) have been fitted with wifi, but this has not been activated yet. One 747 aircraft was trialled with it last year.

I would prepare not to have wifi on your flights.
Unfortunately, I won't able used wifi during my flights. Oh well! I have wait when I landed in LHR and then I can used a free wifi at Heathrow Airport. I have to keep it touch with my friends, family and etc.
Old Feb 18, 17, 8:41 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Is that ready? Which aircraft who does have wifi for long-hauls or short-hauls flight? If they have wifi on entire triple 777-200ER aircraft or not. If they installed it. I'm flying out PHL-LHR-BSL on British Airways. Can I used wifi or not? Also, coming back home from BSL-LHR-PHX, too. Do they have wifi on 747-400 aircraft or not.

Any suggestions?
You asked the same question almost exactly one year ago. Nothing has changed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...have-wifi.html
Old Feb 19, 17, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post

Yes and no...

The SH fleet, as you rightly pointed out, is being fitted with Inmarsat down-pointing antennae, which are basically going to leverage on the existing ground infrastructure (cellular mast) to offer wi-fi on-board. The work is starting now in London and Glasgow as the airplanes are going through their check schedule, but I'm not aware on when it's going to officially be rolled out.

For LH things are different; they'll have two antennae pointing upwards, using go-go 2ku system. I understand a 747 is now fitted with it and is running tests, but it's not open to the public yet. This isn't the one that had wi-fi fitted earlier, that trial wasn't deemed successful (it had one antenna and apparently it wasn't good enough). I believe that it's going to be late 2017, early 2018 before the system is widely available. The refreshed 747s don't have wi-fi already in-built (the project wasn't approved when they were re-done), but I seem to remember that new aircrafts - 787-10, perhaps some 787-8 or -9 if we've got any left to receive, and 350s will be delivered with everything installed.

My 2p is that the Inmarsat solution will be out there a lot sooner than the 2ku solution. I'm no expert in this field - 9 times out of 10 I fail to even log on to the Heathrow Wifi! - but from conversations with friends in the business I seem to gather that the whole long-haul wi-fi business is relying on technology that is far from being mature. More than one told me it's a Betamax vs VHS situation at the moment, for those old enough to remember, and obviously BA doesn't want to be left with the Betamax.

All this is my opinion, not my employer's.
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by 13900 View Post
The refreshed 747s don't have wi-fi already in-built (the project wasn't approved when they were re-done)
Thanks for the clarification, I must have been recalling that it was at least considered! Seems a little short-sighted of BA, but not exactly surprising.
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post

Any suggestions?
A colleague of mine travelled LHR-AUS on BA191 a few weeks ago. Apparently it had wifi. Maybe its just one 787-900.
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrL View Post
A colleague of mine travelled LHR-AUS on BA191 a few weeks ago. Apparently it had wifi. Maybe its just one 787-900.
The 789 have wifi on board but the networks are internal to the plane rather than for public use.
Old Feb 19, 17, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
G-CIVV has the aerial fitted but not sure if any others do.
Old Feb 19, 17, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
I remember many years ago when I worked in IFE content my boss came back from a meeting with BA. She said that they were talking about the potential for delivery of IFE by satellite. Looking back on it that seems so long ago and that technology has moved by leaps and bounds since then. Wifi will be interesting.
Old Feb 19, 17, 1:34 pm

Rollout is scheduled to be complete by end of 2018.
BA see on-board wifi as a profit opportunity and will be charging for in-flight wifi.
There will be some adjustments to on-board IFE programming when wifi is fully live.
Old Feb 19, 17, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by scillyisles View Post
Rollout is scheduled to be complete by end of 2018.
BA see on-board wifi as a profit opportunity and will be charging for in-flight wifi.
There will be some adjustments to on-board IFE programming when wifi is fully live.
Will this be like WestJet where you can stream IFE to your device?
Old Feb 19, 17, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ChrL View Post
The plane hooks up to Wi-Fi on the ground for the download of maintenance and operational data, but nothing - as far as I'm aware - off the ground. In facts drilling a hole through the carbon fiber fuselage will be, well, "interesting" to say the least.
Old Feb 19, 17, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You should have stuck to AA, their 77Ws have wifi and it works pretty well most of the time. I even got a pro-active refund on the cost a couple of days after the one recent occasion when it wasn't working well during part of the flight.

If your inflight addiction is wine, fly BA. If it's Facebook, fly AA.
Old Feb 19, 17, 5:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Will this be like WestJet where you can stream IFE to your device?
Yes, they are building some sort of add on to the BA App, so that you can watch some content streamed through that. So on shorthaul there may be a few television programmes, and perhaps the news available. Also the moving map, which for LGW and LCY travellers is good news. If I was to take a guess, maybe the option of premium content, such as recent movies or sports events for a fee. This is already the system they have on IB Express (somewhat clunkily) and on many Asian airlines.

Search this Thread