Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it always possible to change your FF number in the lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Hello all, collective wisdom please.

Doing some calculations, I think I can earn Qantas Platinum status easier than I can BA Gold this year if I credit all my BA/CX and of course QF flights to their scheme instead of BA.

With a permanent move to Oz on the cards in the next couple of years, this make sense to me to switch now and of course gives me the same OWE status as I have today.

The issue is I currently hold no status with QF at all (because I currently always credit to BA).

So my question is, can I easily follow the routine of starting off with my BA number in the booking, getting all the perks of seat choice, priority check-in, fast track security and lounge, then once in the lounge ask at them to apply my QF number instead?

Is this pretty much guaranteed to work or can it be a bit flaky?

I'm thinking if successful the only thing I'd potentially miss out on (until I reach QF Gold at least) was priority boarding as my BP would no longer reflect my BA Gold status by that point?

Appreciate any insight before I test this out on a couple of flights I have upcoming. Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
When doing this in the past I've used RJ.com MMB whilst in the lounge - that way the BP remains unchanged. It's always worked but maybe I was lucky.

But wouldn't carrying your OWE card be enough for priority boarding anyway?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:15 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It can be flaky. The agent may print a new boarding pass with your QFF number, but the flight may still credit to BAEC. I believe this is caused by Fly, and once you are checked in the FF number is fixed. You can request the flight is de-credited from BAEC and retro claim with QFF, but this can be time consuming.

Also, some agents have been known to refuse changing FF numbers after you enter a lounge with a FF number that allows eligibility, and change it to one that does not allow it.

I would suggest selecting seats using your BAEC number, then changing to QFF using Finnair/RJ prior to OLCI. Show your BAEC card for lounge access.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks both

If I do that prior to OLCI, will I still be able to get the additional baggage allowance and the lounge access even though though my BP says no but the OWE card I'm holding says yes?

I've often wondered about these 2 perks, is it the fact I hold this status or the fact they're on my BP that's important?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.