Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA codeshare - limited seat selection options on AA

Old Feb 17, 17, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Hi all,

I've booked an itinerary through BA, including a JFK-Vegas leg operated by AA (BA flight number).

Booking is 2 people, one BA Gold and one no status.

When I try to select seats, BA MMB directs me to the AA site. However I can only see 7 seats available for selection, in addition to the two we have been allocated. They are random seats in rows 19-22 which are marked by AA as "For elite members".

When I look at expert flyer, there are very few seats occupied on the plane. I would have thought as OWE I should be able to have more choice, including MCE and exit rows.

It seems that the only seats I can choose through AA are what expert flyer marks as "Premium Only". The "Paid" or "Paid and Premium" options are not available.

Am I just being too optimistic? For reference, flight is BA8665 / AA1263 on 22-Jun.

Many thanks
Old Feb 18, 17, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
In case anybody has a similar problem in future. I spoke to AA, who said they could give me my chosen exit row seats, but because it's a BA ticket they would have to charge an external seat reservation fee of 30 per person. This is waived for EXP but not other OWE.

I could have tried through BA, who I'm sure wouldn't have wanted a fee, but the AA guy wasn't sure that would work technically.

In the end he waived the fee as a gesture of goodwill for OWE. Seems like a bit of a odd rule, but grateful he sorted it for me. It didn't seem easy - spent about 10 mins on hold while they tried to make the reservation stick.
Old Feb 19, 17, 5:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sometimes I've had to wait 24hrs for AAs system to catch up with my OWE status. Originally hardly any seats available. 24hrs later exit rows and MCE seats available at no extra cost (this is months in advance of the flight). This is for internal flights. Might be different for international. But was BA codeshare run by AA.
Old Feb 19, 17, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Various glitches can insert themselves in the BA - AA linkages.
If, as OP, I'm on a BA ticket (125-) and BA codeshare I find out the AA PNR and go in and enter my BAEC number direct into the aa.com side of affairs (plus contact details too, which occasionally comes in handy).
That then allows the full range of seat picks, once aa.com catches up to me being OWE.
Not so sure how this plays out with a 2nd person on the PNR who is not OWE.
Old Feb 20, 17, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree with littlefish. Most of our AA travel is booked through BA on 125- tickets. We then manage everything [BAEC #, seats, pre-ordered meals etc.] on aa.com, without difficulty. The only challenge is finding the AA Record Locator!*

* I find that by searching my aa.com account for 'My Trips" [which it usually doesn't show] and then going to the AA Advantage tab [where it also doesn't show!] and forcing 'Find reservation' using the BA PNR ... which eventually comes up with the AA details and equivalent of MMB.

Search this Thread