Defer TP into next collection year?

Old Feb 17, 17, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Defer TP into next collection year?

My collection year ends on 8th March.
In the week before it, I will earn a decent chunk of TPs (but nowhere near enough to get me to gold, and I'm not about to do a major TP run to get there).

I've read of the collection year being extended (to 54 weeks) to allow status to be achieved through flights in the last 2 week window - but has there ever been a case where TPs earned through flying just before the start of a new TP collection have been allowed to be deferred to earn towards the following year instead?

Thanks,
Tom
Old Feb 17, 17, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
No, not that I'm aware of
Old Feb 17, 17, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Can you not fly somewhere without your BAEC number entered, and keep the boarding passes?

Then once new year comes in, submit them. I assume those will count against the day you fly rather than the current year, but could also imagine could be a loophole...
Old Feb 17, 17, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
no, as layz mentioned, its been asked before and the general consensus is no. I am in the same boat as you and have to live with it
Old Feb 17, 17, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Then once new year comes in, submit them. I assume those will count against the day you fly rather than the current year, but could also imagine could be a loophole...
You assume correctly - this won't work.
Old Feb 17, 17, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Similar to you, a couple of my flights did not track recently. I will wait until after my march 8th year end before putting in my claim as i dont need the TP this year but may need them next..

I cant see it working but as Delboy says so well "he who dares".....
Old Feb 17, 17, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
probably against the t's and c's and you'd forfeit the avios tier bonus, but you could sign up for a brand new BAEC account....
Old Feb 17, 17, 7:01 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Can you not fly somewhere without your BAEC number entered, and keep the boarding passes?

You will see them credited and then removed, as you're in your next year.

They will count towards your lifetime TP's though.
Old Feb 17, 17, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Similar to you, a couple of my flights did not track recently. I will wait until after my march 8th year end before putting in my claim as i dont need the TP this year but may need them next..

I cant see it working but as Delboy says so well "he who dares".....
It definitely won't work. The reason that your status expires the end of the month after the end of your collection year is so you don't drop status while you wait for flights to credit that posted late or need manual intervention.

The rule is that the date of the flight counts, not the date of posting.
Old Feb 17, 17, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks all - it wasn't something I'd heard about, but thought it worth checking just in case it was possible.

Search this Thread