Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx travel insurance and exEU

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
AmEx travel insurance and exEU

You and yours on BBC Radio 4 just had piece on Amex travel refusing to pay out for a flight -> flight missed connection on a return to the UK. Allegedly they stated they would have paid out for the same missed connection on an outbound journey, just not on a return leg.

I’ve switched away from Amex insurance to HSBC, need to get reading the small print for that policy which I forgot to do at the time of signing.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:28 am

Travel insurance is a nightmare. There's so much variation in cover, and even reading the small print doesn't always give a clear indication of what they will cover.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Travel insurance is a nightmare. There's so much variation in cover, and even reading the small print doesn't always give a clear indication of what they will cover.
In this case with Amex case it's pretty clear: if you look through the policies here the most basic only cover the outbound but the higher grades cover return. https://insurance.americanexpress.co...nd-conditions/
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem is that people use the word "connection" for transfers across multiple tickets. Then they look at their insurance policy and it states that they are covered for a "missed connection".

However, if they have a ticket JFK-LHR-DUB and then a second ticket DUB-LHR, and they no show for the DUB-LHR, they have not missed a "connection" and it is not likely that any travel insurance other than an "all perils" will cover it.

There is no such thing as small or fine print. Insurance is a contract just like any other. It is simply a contract which one hopes never to be required to exercise.

For purposes of hidden city ticket, politely referred to as xEU, consider the second ticket as no different than having your train or auto break down on the way to the airport and that causing you to miss your flight.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The problem is that people use the word "connection" for transfers across multiple tickets. Then they look at their insurance policy and it states that they are covered for a "missed connection".

However, if they have a ticket JFK-LHR-DUB and then a second ticket DUB-LHR, and they no show for the DUB-LHR, they have not missed a "connection" and it is not likely that any travel insurance other than an "all perils" will cover it.

There is no such thing as small or fine print. Insurance is a contract just like any other. It is simply a contract which one hopes never to be required to exercise.

For purposes of hidden city ticket, politely referred to as xEU, consider the second ticket as no different than having your train or auto break down on the way to the airport and that causing you to miss your flight.
My insurance protects two separate tickets as long as the period between each flight is sufficient. Believe it is 4 or 5 hours.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
True enough.

I only heard part of the broadcast but heard the bit about the policy having 76 or so pages of terms and conditions. A trifle heavy.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I find it very hard to accept that argument. If the travel insurer wants to limit their cover to a "connection" by the airline industry's technical definition, they would have to specify that definition/restriction more clearly. The Amex policies make no distinction between connections involving road, rail, sea or air, and mixing those up will hardly ever be ticketed together.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
My insurance protects two separate tickets as long as the period between each flight is sufficient. Believe it is 4 or 5 hours.
What policy is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

Sorry, but this really annoys me !!

Can we be clear that "exEU' (arbitraging EU/EEA airfare market variation) is NOT per se hidden city ticket fraud.

Any "fraud" can occur only when a passenger intentionally does not complete their journey - missing it accidentally or through force majeure doesn't count; completing the journey as booked certainly doesn't count

Sloppy use of the terms "hidden city" and "fraud" just play into the airlines' hands
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Fitch

Can we be clear that "exEU' (arbitraging EU/EEA airfare market variation) is NOT per se hidden city ticket fraud.

Any "fraud" can occur only when a passenger intentionally does not complete their journey - missing it accidentally or through force majeure doesn't count; completing the journey as booked certainly doesn't count

Sloppy use of the terms "hidden city" and "fraud" just play into the airlines' hands
Often1 does not appear to have used the word "fraud".

ex-EU on BA is hidden city ticketing if one decides to disembark in London.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Fitch

Fraud is a bit heavy isn't it? I never saw that word used...

And surely a booking going AMS-LHR-JFK-LHR-AMS is a hidden city ticket, IF the AMS-LON flight is dropped?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:01 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I previously held the Amex Prestige travel policy. Following a lengthy discussion with them about coverage for ex-EU flights, they advised that I would not be covered for such arrangements.

This was because their "Trip" definition requires that it "starts and ends in the United Kingdom". So for instance, an ex-DUB routing would not be covered, because it is a standalone ticket starting and ending outside the UK. I pointed out that I would have another ticket from the UK to connect with that one, but they said that would not make any difference. I am sure this one has potential for arguing over if the need arose, but I do think it is important for people to consider whether they are covered by their travel insurance should things go wrong. I suspect too many people just make big assumptions.

It's important to note that they acknowledged that other elements (e.g. medical coverage) would still be valid.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once submitted an Amex Platinum insurance claim for a trip that involved seven separate tickets (a mixture of redemptions, back-to-backs within EU, and a cancelled ticket). At the time I remember, they did not define "trip = 1 ticket" but maybe that has changed. If it has changed it would make the insurance policy useless to me. The trip therefore started and ended in the UK but not on one ticket.

Duly sent them in the paper work including a print out of all the booking receipts and it was paid within a few days.

This was not for a missed connection but an unfortunate incident down route.

---

Given what has been posted here I shall write to them to find out what they have to say.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I too have never had any difficulty here ... my understanding is that the purpose of the clause and definitions around a trip/journey is that in the event of having to make a claim you can prove that you were not living out of the country at the time and were just on a relatively short duration trip.

e.g. I guess you can say its to stop people buying travel insurance to cover their (medical) insurance needs when resident in a different country

I am sure I have claimed in the past on complex itineraries and never had any difficulty here - they just want something that shows when you left the UK and when you returned ( or plan to return )
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:43 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
I once submitted an Amex Platinum insurance claim for a trip that involved seven separate tickets (a mixture of redemptions, back-to-backs within EU, and a cancelled ticket). At the time I remember, they did not define "trip = 1 ticket" but maybe that has changed. If it has changed it would make the insurance policy useless to me. The trip therefore started and ended in the UK but not on one ticket.

Duly sent them in the paper work including a print out of all the booking receipts and it was paid within a few days.

This was not for a missed connection but an unfortunate incident down route.

---

Given what has been posted here I shall write to them to find out what they have to say.
Do let us know what they say to you. I personally don't think their detailed terms are specific enough to actually prevent a payout in the scenario you describe.

At the time I enquired I was undertaking a lot of travel to and from the Middle East. Sometimes these were ex-EU tickets to save cash, sometimes nested tickets. A further scenario I discussed related to side-trips - for instance working in the Middle East for 3 weeks, I might decide to take a weekend trip to visit another city, such as Muscat. Again they told me those flights would not be covered (but medical, personal belongings, etc. would be).

I suspect that you could ask several different agents at Amex and get slightly different answers, given this is probably not something they will be asked too regularly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.