Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Offers to Upgrade to Club Europe - Do Prices Go Down?

Old Feb 15, 17, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

I'm flying into LHR in June on VS UC, mostly for a 10-day vacation in London to see Queen's Club tennis tournament (Wimbledon tickets are outrageous) and well, because I love London. At the same time, I am taking delivery of a Mercedes GLC300 in Stuttgart through their heavily discounted and individually customized European delivery program. Since I bought the LHR tickets first, and I wanted to fly VS UC with my Skymiles anyway. I then bought tickets on BA from LHR to STR for basically 28 hours to physically pick-up my car (which is required to lower customs/duties/taxes) and they do pay for a really nice hotel in STR that night which will be good for my jet lag. I will have 1 bag so I bought the BA ticket that includes a bag -- I paid 14 GBP more for "Plus" whilst Club Europe was nearly 300 GBP more each way which seemed ridiculous for 90 minutes.

When I arrive into LHR, I have 3-4 hours before my STR flight but I'm not worried about that time because I will have access to the VS Revivals lounge and then decent Priority Pass lounges in my new terminal (3 or 5). Coming back from STR, I'm going to be tired and probably have 4 or more hours to kill before my flight. I think I'm going to be too exhausted to tour in STR and will also have my bag. I wanted to head to the airport and relax, maybe catch up on work stuff before starting my vacation, etc. I can't use the Skyteam lounge (AF) because I'm not on a Skyteam ticket and my Delta Sky Club card is no good there. The Priority Pass lounge looks tiny, horrid and has really bad reviews ("Elli-Beinhorn Lounge").

So I was looking at the BA lounge. When I went into my booking, it is offering to upgrade me to Club Europe for 70 GBP on the outbound (which I don't need) and 352 GBP on the return. I'd like to upgrade return because of the lounge in STR. But not for 352 GBP. Have people see this historically decline in price? I'd really like it to be 70 GBP like they are offering on the return. Any strategies for this?

If it's unlikely to decrease, any recommendations on getting BA lounge access? I'd buy one but appears not to be an option based on my search of threads. I don't get many vacations so I'm being incredibly selfish about making sure everything is quite comfortable.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Silver; Avis P+; Global Entry
the 70 is a POUG offer the 352 is a normal upgrade quote.

You need to keep on checking, sometimes it will throw up the offer for your return flight, sometimes it wont.

But seeing when your due to fly there is a good chance of it but never 100% also the rate from STR would be approx 99, these can be found on the

Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2017 thread

EDIT: Linked in the correct thread now, not the one i was reading

Last edited by aidy; Feb 15, 17 at 11:39 am
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The 352 is a fare difference upgrade. You may be offered a discount online upgrade (POUG) or can request one at the airport (AUP), see the relevant theeads in the Dashboard.

You can only get BA Lounge access through class of service or BA/oneworld status.
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And you may want to see this and last years' POUG threads for more details on how they work. You can reach that via the Dashboard.

STR is T5. The Aspire lounge isn't that good, so you may view the POUG offer in that context.

And you would be mad to miss the Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart.
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks, very helpful. I will keep checking then.

I did see that LoungeBuddy sells $52 passes to the Lufthansa lounge at STR and the cancel period is 24 hours prior to arrival so if I can't get the return POUG down to $70 by OLCI for the outbound, then I'll buy the Lufthansa pass and buy a bottle of Heidsieck on-board since one of my goals this trip is to try as many sparklers as I can. Now how to ensure I don't get a middle seatmate
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriot Gold.
It has been a long long time since I've been in STR (circa 2000, on BA flight to Birmingham for instance), but can't you just go to one of the bars/restaurants after departures?

We focus a bit much on lounges, 70 gets you a lot of beer/coke/coffee, even at the crappy exchange rate of recent times...
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
Also... the STR lounge is really nothing special. Better than sitting in the terminal, but that's about it. If you just need a comfy seat, power and wifi with a few drinks, then you should be able to just use the PP lounge.

Note regarding the bags, check-in won't open until 2 hours or so before the flight.
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And you would be mad to miss the Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart.
There's a 13:30 tour that looks doable I just found out. No way I wanted to get up early for the morning one. Even if I do that and have a late lunch there, I will get to STR ~ 3 hours to kill.
Old Feb 15, 17, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Thai Gold, JetPriviledge
The lounge in STR is very small and basic with nothing in the way of food other than biscuits, crisps and nuts. it is also shared with Air Berlin and gets very busy at points of the late afternoon / evening. it is in no way a place to spend any more than 30 mins in as there is nothing to do and certainly not 4 hrs.

There is a hotel 200 mtrs from the airport (Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe) which would perhaps be a better place to have a drink / lunch and spend a few hrs. They may also be prepared to sell you a Day room. (worth a phone call).
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bergamini View Post

When I arrive into LHR, I have 3-4 hours before my STR flight but I'm not worried about that time because I will have access to the VS Revivals lounge and then decent Priority Pass lounges in my new terminal (3 or 5).
Just a reminder that the VS arrivals lounge is landside so you'll have to pass UK immigration, collect your bag and clear customs.

Also as your BA flight is on a separate ticket it won't be checked through so you'll need to check that in again with BA so be aware of the bag drop times.

BA flights to STR departs from T5 so factor the time taken to get from T3 to T5 as well.

..., any recommendations on getting BA lounge access? I'd buy one but appears not to be an option based on my search of threads
You can't buy access into BA operated lounges.
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Arrive LHR on VS20 @ 12:05 in Terminal 3
Depart LHR on BA920 @ 15:40 from Terminal 5

I'm on VS UC so I will have Fast Track at customs. I am debating carry-on only but 10 days is a long time. I'd rather use Revivals lounge and then head to Terminal 5 without including lounge time there. But Revivals closes at 13:30 so maybe.
Old Feb 15, 17, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
You'll have fast track for immigration (ask the cabin crew for the slip and keep your BP handy to show the queue minder)

There is no fast track for customs.

Jut be aware of the timings for bag drop and conformance at T5.
Old Feb 15, 17, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Nor should you really need fast track for customs, it isn't really a thing over here.
Old Feb 16, 17, 9:08 am
Original Poster

I love the BA forum! Really appreciate the replies. Over at DL, I'd get a post with links to 7 year old threads that are 30 pages long and one post references my scenario. Thanks y'all.
Old Feb 16, 17, 10:23 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I don't have a whole lot to add other than to say the museum is worth the effort.

On a side note, how are you getting the car home?

Search this Thread