FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Help needed- passport validity for Hong kong (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1822068-help-needed-passport-validity-hong-kong.html)

aflyer111 Feb 14, 2017 2:10 am

Help needed- passport validity for Hong kong

Hi Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster!

Hopefully your collective wisdom can help me!

Im due to travel to Hong Kong on 1/3/17. I'm a British citizen, however my passport is set to expire on 21/07/17.

When i tried to enter it onto the Cathay site, (flying via BA connecting flight from ARN to LHR) it said 'passport must be valid for 6 months'.

Checked the FCO site, it simply states, passport must be valid one month after leaving HKG.

Should i apply for an emergency passport?

Thanks!

sammyg901 Feb 14, 2017 2:24 am

Timantic which is what they use to check at the airport states

Passport
Passport required.
Passport Exemptions:
Passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card.
Passengers with an emergency or a temporary passport.
Document Validity:
Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 1 month beyond the period of intended stay.

so you'll be fine, probably just bad hard coding in their online process

aflyer111 Feb 14, 2017 2:28 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 27906643)
Timantic which is what they use to check at the airport states

Passport
Passport required.
Passport Exemptions:
Passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card.
Passengers with an emergency or a temporary passport.
Document Validity:
Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 1 month beyond the period of intended stay.

so you'll be fine, probably just bad hard coding in their online process

Thank you for the quick reply and knowledge share!

Do you think it is worth calling Cathay contact center (as the tickets are CX stock) and having them manually enter the API data?

i don't want to have any issues at the airport during check in (flying J- doubt this helps).

Thanks!

Tobias-UK Feb 14, 2017 2:32 am

aflyer111, welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the BA branch. As you've found, we are a resourceful bunch. Stay around and join in the fun.

On a practical point, if your travel plans permit, perhaps it's time to replace your passport? It only takes a couple of weeks (often shorter) to replace a UK passport and any unused validity (up to 9 months) will be added to your new passport. You're going to have to replace it soon, why not get it over with?

PETER01 Feb 14, 2017 2:35 am

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board aflyer111

Yes a call will probably sort it for a manual input I think as you seem to meet all the requirements according to the FCO site and what's been posted already. It's not that far away until your flight so personally I'd get this done ASAP.

ETA: Just seen Tobias-UK post. Good advice there from a very knowledgable frequent flyer ^

LTN Phobia Feb 14, 2017 2:41 am

Generally, you could have your UK passport renewed on the same day in London, for instance. Would that be an option for you even if you can't wait a couple of weeks?

aflyer111 Feb 14, 2017 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27906661)
aflyer111, welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the BA branch. As you've found, we are a resourceful bunch. Stay around and join in the fun.

On a practical point, if your travel plans permit, perhaps it's time to replace your passport? It only takes a couple of weeks (often shorter) to replace a UK passport and any unused validity (up to 9 months) will be added to your new passport. You're going to have to replace it soon, why not get it over with?

Completely agree! i've checked and can book an appointment for a 1 week renewal emergency application if required.

i'll call CX today and see what happens.

Thank you all for your help! will keep you guys posted as it may come in handy for any future poster.

PETER01 Feb 14, 2017 3:00 am

Yes please post back if you can as it's good to hear how things end or what the reason actually was. :)

GTRtripper Feb 14, 2017 3:05 am

You will be able to go through HK immigration with no problem, I have done the same with less than 6 months remaining without issue multiple times. If you are registered as a HK frequent traveler you can't use the electronic gates if your passport has less than 6 months remaining but you can definitely go through the regular counter with up to 1 month left.

philthegreek Feb 14, 2017 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27906661)
aflyer111,

I put my passport for renewal through the Post Office checking service on 28 December and the new one was with me on 6 January. No need for same day service if done at the right time

aflyer111 Feb 14, 2017 3:57 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 27906712)
Yes please post back if you can as it's good to hear how things end or what the reason actually was. :)

Update: Spoken to a helpful CX agent who was able to put in my API data and he had no issues. To be 100% sure, checked my booking info online and i can see it in there, so all is well!

Mods: feel free to move to CX forum if more appropriate.

Thank you all for your speedy replies!

PETER01 Feb 14, 2017 7:18 am

Thanks for reporting back ^

navylad Feb 14, 2017 10:20 am

May I also welcome you Aflyer111 to the BAEC forum (or branch or board or whatever else the ambassadors like to call it).

It sounds like you meet all the requirements, but it is also worth noting that you can transfer 6 months onto your next passport (i.e. it will then be valid for 10.5 years rather than just 10). The week long service is good for standard renewals as is the 4 hour service if required, but sometimes you have to travel outside for an appointment (I combined it with a trip to visit friends in Liverpool as there were more appointments there).

Guy Betsy Feb 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by aflyer111 (Post 27906833)
Update: Spoken to a helpful CX agent who was able to put in my API data and he had no issues. To be 100% sure, checked my booking info online and i can see it in there, so all is well!

Mods: feel free to move to CX forum if more appropriate.

Thank you all for your speedy replies!

Putting in the API even with one day left on your passport will not 'trigger' anything. But checking in at the airport will !

Even if all printed documentation says otherwise, CX can refuse passage to you should they choose to. Best to get a new passport when you have the chance.