What time does Heathrow open?

Old Feb 13, 17, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
What time does Heathrow open?

Sort of silly question (I've just never thought about it).

I know the lounges open from 5am. Is this the same with security to get airside too?

Have a 6am-ish flight and don't want to get stuck in a backlog of queues. No bags to drop.
Old Feb 13, 17, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What queues are you expecting at 5am?

I think security is open a little before 5am, probably around 0445 from memory. Earliest flight is the 0615 to IST so if that is what you are on heading to security by 0500 would be fine.
Old Feb 13, 17, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
4.45am sounds about right, I know when I've taken the first flight to Madrid security has been open before 5am.
Old Feb 13, 17, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Also don't want to book a cab and end up hanging around unnecessarily, so all good info. Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 17, 5:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They are sometimes a few minutes late opening security, assuming this is T5 that is. I wouldn't plan on being there until 05:00, and if you really want to avoid queues, get there for 05:20. Though Flight Connections is handled separately, clearly from a resourcing point of view there are some implications if the SINs and HKGs arrive early (not unusual) or late, so not all of this is predictable in advance.
Old Feb 13, 17, 6:15 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Was there for the 6:15 IST flight last week, and check out/bag drop and security was open at 4:45.
Old Feb 13, 17, 6:51 am

There can be queues early in the morning, especially at North security with the connecting passengers from the Asian services. 5AM is actually quite busy at Ready to Fly and upstairs. It gets worse at 6AM, but if HAL isn't quick with the manning of security lanes and the first shift isn't quick in getting into position it can be hectic.
Old Feb 14, 17, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

All good info.
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:51 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, Hotels.com Gold
Data point if required: I arrived by bus to LHR T5 today at 4.55am and I was through North security (HBO so no check-in) by 5.10am. Very quick.

Search this Thread