[Redeeming for Hawaii] Intra-island flight

Old Feb 12, 17, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

[Redeeming for Hawaii] Intra-island flight

Hi - is it possible to do HNL-KOA for 4500 avios each way? If so, what is the process for booking? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that you mean an inter-island flight

Taking a quick look at flights between the 2 points , not sure what flights would be eligible for an Avios award
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The issue is that AA does not fly inter-island. The flight will be on Hawaiian Airlines or some other regional airline.

The question is whether you can buy an AA codeshare ticket on Hawaiian Airlines with Avios, even if you ring up.

If paying cash, I know you cannot earn TPs since it is a AA codeshare flight with a non-OW alliance airlines.
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:38 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No oneworld or BA partner fly inter-island in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
The question is whether you can buy an AA codeshare ticket on Hawaiian Airlines with Avios, even if you ring up.
No you can't.
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am pretty sure that there is no opportunity to book AA codeshare awards.
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Ok - thanks for the feedback. For UR points, I think United might be offering the best deal at 6k each way on a saver.

Virgin America does 3k, but looks like SPG ended their transfer partnership.
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
Interisland flights are a waste of miles. I'm on Hawaiian's own frequent flyer program and see no reason to pay 15K miles for HNL-KOA round trip when I can pay 35K for HNL-JFK round trip.

Last edited by Kumulani; Feb 12, 17 at 7:58 pm
Old Feb 13, 17, 1:51 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Cash fares on Hawaiian or any of the smaller island hoppers are usually quite inexpensive.

Else UA you can redeem with, and I believe Hawaiian and AA have some cooperation- not bookable using avios though!
Old Sep 25, 17, 10:13 am

UA seems the best use of miles, if I choose to not buy it outright. But then I've got a few UA miles that need to be used, this is a great use!
Old Sep 25, 17, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Far better to take one of the smaller local airlines and turn the journey into a sightseeing trip as well. I can recommend Mokulele Airlines, it was a great experience.
Old Sep 25, 17, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Far better to take one of the smaller local airlines and turn the journey into a sightseeing trip as well. I can recommend Mokulele Airlines, it was a great experience.
Indeed, Mokulele is fun and you get great views of the islands due to the low altitude. The other great part: you get to skip TSA flying from Maui and the Big Island!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: