Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Going to DEN with parents using GUF and exEU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG

Hi FT,

I'd like to make a booking to go to Denver visiting family somewhere in September or early October with the parents (in their 70ies).

For them BRU,DUS,AMS,RTM,CDG would all work.
We would join them from the start. As they are getting a bit older we'd like to limit the number of flights in a day so we're thinking of doing the first leg in the evening. They can then stay overnight with us in London and we would then go early to the airport, enjoy the lounges and take the direct flight from LHR to DEN on the 747. Seeing as I'd like to use some GUF vouchers and possibly miles I have some questions.

I currently have a GUF(1) GUF(2) and enough avios to upgrade 4 persons one class on the outbound leg. Preferably we'd like to do the LHR-DEN leg in F as it's a nice time to enjoy F on the 747 on a day flight enjoying the service and CCR as well, coming back the upper deck CW would be perfectly ok.

- Seeing good ex RTM/AMS WT+ fares. Can you use the GUF1/GUF2 to do a double upgrade? Once to CW and then to F (CW would be the 4 vouchers and then F another 2 vouchers). I see they say it's limited to 2 per booking. Is that 2 per voucher per booking of 2 per booking in general?

- If we all book CW, can we upgrade 4 persons on the same booking to F (A fare)?

- If we would book CW, is it sufficient to see that there is A availability and then go through a TA such as Propeller?

- Are there any other airports near the ones posted above we should take into consideration?

- F award availability is nearly non-existent to DEN, besides the GUF approach, any other tips that I might be missing? Potentially WT+ on the return and upgrade to CW using avios?

- How would one go about using Propeller as a TA? Would they arrange all the bookings ,ticketing and upgrades and we would pay over the phone? Any experiences?

- A US layover on the return wouldn't be too bad if it helps with keeping the price low. On the outbound LHR-DEN is a must.

As mentioned the dates are flexible in September and October so that might potentially help.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can't stack GUFs (or combine a UuA and GUF). One GUF only per booking.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can't stack GUFs (or combine a UuA and GUF). One GUF only per booking.
Thanks KARFA for the quick reply.
If we make two separate bookings (2+2), can I "gift" the other GUF even though I'm not on the booking personally? Free seat assignment would work through the gold perk for travelling companions in same cabin on same flight I'd assume.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Thanks KARFA for the quick reply.
If we make two separate bookings (2+2), can I "gift" the other GUF even though I'm not on the booking personally? Free seat assignment would work through the gold perk for travelling companions in same cabin on same flight I'd assume.
you can make both bookings and use your gufs on both, even though you wouldn't be on one booking. Why not make it as one booking though? You can use multiple GUFs per booking, just not use them to do a double upgrade.

your status seat selection would only apply to you and anyone on your booking. It wouldn't apply to people on another booking even if you paid for it.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
you can make both bookings and use your gufs on both, even though you wouldn't be on one booking. Why not make it as one booking though? You can use multiple GUFs per booking, just not use them to do a double upgrade.

your status seat selection would only apply to you and anyone on your booking. It wouldn't apply to people on another booking even if you paid for it.
I'm a bit confused now. If we make it one booking, wouldn't it be impossible to upgrade 4 persons (2 GUF needed) to the next cabin?

If we need to make 2 bookings I can work around with the seat assignment as I can book one of the parents on my booking (gold) and the other on Miss AAtticus (silver) and would also be a bit safer in worst case scenario's (rerouting etc..).
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:19 am

With split bookings you will get free seat selection on both due the gold perk you mention. I have used this myself once when my girlfriend was on the same flight but separate booking and she was only bronze at the time.
It is pretty manual however, it doesn't open up seat selection via MMB, I had to specify the seat for her to the Gold Line and they had to send it to a backoffice team to be actioned, it had been assigned by later the same day though.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
I'm a bit confused now. If we make it one booking, wouldn't it be impossible to upgrade 4 persons (2 GUF needed) to the next cabin?.
That's fine. What i said wasn't ok was a double/stacked upgrade using two GUFs to go WTP->CW->F.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
You won't get access to CCR outbound as LHR to DEN leaves from T3.

September/ early Oct is a great time to visit Denver ( I do it every year) but is very popular and the flights are busy. There is usually no reward flight availability in CW/F.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Sorry, GF that is, with the 4 of us, otherwise I can only guest in one person.
And otherwise the Cathay lounge is a good alternative I think.
And yes, that's my preferred time as well, everything calms a bit down after Labor Day and driving through the rockies with the changing colors is amazing!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
- How would one go about using Propeller as a TA? Would they arrange all the bookings ,ticketing and upgrades and we would pay over the phone? Any experiences?
Phone or email. They can sort the booking, including GUF usage. I found it all very straightforward and they were very helpful. I paid over the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.