Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice Required [transfer of Citi card reward points to Avios]

Advice Required [transfer of Citi card reward points to Avios]

Old Feb 12, 17, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, British Airways
Smile Advice Required [transfer of Citi card reward points to Avios]

Hi Folks
I have 60'000 reward points with my Citi Card which I can convert to Miles (1:1). I have Senator Status with M&M but unfortunately the miles cannot be converted to M&M. My options are either BA or Emirates.
I have Silver status on BA. I have often redeemed my miles on M&M. Never done it on BA and wondering which one is better. Would you rate BA the same as M&M in which case I would transfer it to BA. Else push it to Emirates.
Many thanks
Rahul
Old Feb 12, 17, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not leave the points on the Citi card until you have a specific redemption in mind and then push to the FFP that offers most value.
Old Feb 12, 17, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, British Airways
Thanks

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Why not leave the points on the Citi card until you have a specific redemption in mind and then push to the FFP that offers most value.
Good point. Challenge is that I dont use this card and plan to cancel it. Ahead of cancelling it, I wanted to use the points.... )
Old Feb 12, 17, 8:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Rahul Sharma View Post
Good point. Challenge is that I dont use this card and plan to cancel it. Ahead of cancelling it, I wanted to use the points.... )
Suggest you read: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-edition.html
Old Feb 12, 17, 9:14 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Welcome to FT.

Same burn plan would still apply though.

I used my M&M points for a 1st class redemption a while back but appears Lufty are cutting back on those cabins.

EK are expensive on tax imo.

I get more value from my Avios but there again I have GGL which helps.
Old Feb 12, 17, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have Silver status on BA. I have often redeemed my miles on M&M. Never done it on BA and wondering which one is better. Would you rate BA the same as M&M in which case I would transfer it to BA. Else push it to Emirates.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Rahul Sharma. It's good to see you here, and I hope we will see more of you too. And yes, check out the stickies for some basic information about BA, and perhaps the Dashboard too.

I'm also a LH Senator (though I only just scrape over the qualification these days). The two systems are quite similar really, similar costs involved too, and various weak and strong points. There are more things you can do online with Avios (e.g. not having to ring up to book redemptions on Air India, for example), amd the earning process is more consistent, you don't get the A3/TK fault line down the middle of the programme. Availability is somewhat better on LH than BA, but BA has various rules about availability which make it easier to get popular flights, so long as you plan ahead.

As indicated above, a lot will depend on where you are redeeming. If it's East Europe then it's LH/Star you need to use, if it's southern half of the USA then it's BA/oneworld.

If this is being done in comparison to EK, well EK is much more limited as a scheme, not very useful for short and medium distance trips, which are broadly the most expensive revenue tickets per mile; on the other hand nothing beats the global reach of EK outside North America.

Search this Thread