Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can you be upgrade If you have a domestic connection first?

Can you be upgrade If you have a domestic connection first?

Old Feb 11, 17, 11:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Exclamation Can you be upgrade If you have a domestic connection first?

If I was to go from UK > LHR and then LAX for example, would you ever be upgraded at the first UK point?
If you are going to be upgraded (If you're that lucky, would it just happen at the gate in LHR) as you are not allow to check into the domestic flight only?

If you could do this and you had to re-collect luggage should this increase the chances?
Old Feb 11, 17, 11:29 am

Starting from, say, Manchester does not prevent you from being upgraded on a flight from Heathrow. On the few occasions that I have received an upgrade it has never been on checking in from Manchester (whether at the airport or on-line), but either at the gate or in the lounge at Heathrow.
Old Feb 11, 17, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Would they know If I naively asked someone at a ticketing desk in LHR what seat I am on?
I'd like to maybe If possible go for an airport upgrade If it is available. However I would not want to pay If I have one anyway.

I know it's unlikely I get a free upgrade but there's a chance. Live in hope.
Old Feb 11, 17, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think if you refresh your app any upgrade which has been done prior to boarding should show.
Old Feb 11, 17, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Where you start makes no difference. If you ask to pay for an upgrade and you have already been op'up'ed for free, the staff members will just tell you that you have already been upgraded. There is no mystery/tricking game/risk people will 'cancel' your free upgrade to make you pay for it, and for that matter no guarantee AUPs will be available. As for opups they are extremely rare.

If I may, I think you are making all this far too complicated. If you would like to try and buy an AUP anyway, ask about it and there is no risk associated with doing that.
Old Feb 11, 17, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The app will show any seat change. I have seen my last to opups when in the lounge. Unlikely man would know anything as it would likely happen close to or after checkin closes
Old Feb 11, 17, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I think if you refresh your app any upgrade which has been done prior to boarding should show.
That's correct, the App will at some point shown an upgrade, whether paid for or an involuntary upgrade. It often comes the night before (from out stations) or as late as after boarding. Connections make no difference either way. I had one nice moment when I was sat in my seat soon after boarding in CW, with a Theoretical Seating block next to me, when a couple moved up and looked mystified. I knew the flight to be busy, refreshed the App, and said "oops, I seem to be in the wrong place", without going into the specifics with them! And then up the aisle like the proverbial.

Some people get upgraded well before travel, months before in some cases. But let's not exaggerate this, upgrades are rare, some frequent flyers never get them and it's done for the airline's benefit rather than the passenger's.
Old Feb 11, 17, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I had one nice moment when I was sat in my seat soon after boarding in CW, with a Theoretical Seating block next to me, when a couple moved up and looked mystified. I knew the flight to be busy, refreshed the App, and said "oops, I seem to be in the wrong place", without going into the specifics with them! And then up the aisle like the proverbial.
Thanks for mentioning the experience! I'll admit I had absolutely no idea that you could be upgraded after boarding through the regular system.

I did have onboard upgrades a few years ago (part of a well-known and discussed initiative) but I believe that was at the initiative of the SCCM and not based on the upgrade software.
Old Feb 11, 17, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
I had it happen in reverse - i.e. I flew BOS-JFK-LHR-MAN. At JFK I was randomly upgraded to W for the run to LHR.

Y must have been pretty rammed if they were op-upping Blues on ex-OSL O-Class fares!

Search this Thread