Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do i never get an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In my experience booking WT+ on flights that have been oversold in WT has seen the wife and I both being upgraded to CW on two occasions.

It also helps being a nice person, having good looks and a Pro BA posting history on this forum.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I have only one upgrade WT+ to CW and that was my first ever flight on BA as a Blue about 50 flights ago my VS ratio is approx every other flight either Y to PE or PE to UC. And I never got above silver on VS. As a BA gold not one. And now as a sliver a upgrade on BA is very unlikely as I have no flights booked with them.
John
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I think the biggest chance of upgrade is from WT to WT or from WT+ to CW. I had 5 flights out of 6 upgraded from WT to WT+. Asian routes tend to be more busy and there's bigger chance of upgrade.
"Hi sir, we've just been informed you have been upgraded. Please stand up, move to the seat to your left and sit down again"
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Might be worth linking the 'I got an Upgrade' thread, just for balance.

I'm on mobile otherwise would do myself.

M
This one?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rade-week.html

I've been the beneficiary of many op-ups over the years, nearly all long haul (mixture of CW>F and WTP>CW). Less so in last couple of years, though still getting a few. Hard to tell if the strike rate has changed, as flight patterns have also changed.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:00 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have a 22% rate of upgrade W>J or J>F on BA longhauls, although my sample size is small since I try not to fly BA.

My upgrades were equally likely whether flying alone or with my wife (when we are both upgraded).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GfL
In the peak period of my BA flying career, about 16 years of which involved about 16-18 LH flights per year (PHL-LHR or LHR-India or LHR-South Africa) plus about the same number of SH flights, I tended to get upgraded about 2-3x a year, mostly from CW to F. I have been upgraded twice on the very rare occasions when I flew WT+, including once on an award flight, and I think only once got a double-bump from WT to CW.

These days, as I am no longer working and a shadow of my revenue-generating self, my BA flights are limited to the 4/year required to maintain EC membership, and I don't expect to ever hear that magic beep again. (Especially since I will be LTG by the end of October and probably won't even be flying 4 BA flights a year after that!)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Moving up to GGL will significantly increase your chances
Not in my case...never been upgraded at the gate or at check in so far in 3 years of GGL. Not to CE and never ever to F. However had a handful of onboard upgrades....

Still looking forward to hearing the "beep" at boarding...
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by :D!
I have a 22% rate of upgrade W>J or J>F on BA longhauls, although my sample size is small since I try not to fly BA.

My upgrades were equally likely whether flying alone or with my wife (when we are both upgraded).
There's gratitude for you!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've been upgraded on BA twice from Y to W on work travel back from large conferences in the USA -- if the event is large enough to book out a city's hotels then it's usually large enough to get the flights oversold too, especially the direct flights from US cities to LHR.

Though on one occasion I was upgraded from a Y aisle to a W window, and ended up feeling a bit ambivalent as my seatmate was a bit of a spreader.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm not complaining. I had about 6 upgrades to F in 2016, and one so far in 2017, plus some ET to CEs. I think DUT is still trying to entice me to buy First, which I've never done, nor redeemed into First. The biggest factor, overwhelmingly, is whether the flight is full or not. Travel to JFK on a Friday evening it may happen. CAI midweek rather less so.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 11, 2017 at 12:11 pm
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

C-w-s is your calendar a bit wonky?!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards
You're getting ahead of yourself, c-w-s!

Back in my corporate seagull days, late 90's to mid noughties I had a CW->F rate of about 50%. Always solo, always asked politely.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
C-w-s is your calendar a bit wonky?!
Sorry, duly corrected. I'm typing in the dark, for reasons I won't go into!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Not in my case...never been upgraded at the gate or at check in so far in 3 years of GGL. Not to CE and never ever to F. However had a handful of onboard upgrades....

Still looking forward to hearing the "beep" at boarding...
Do they actually come see you in your seat and upgrade you?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:03 pm

TBH I have never had any upgrades on any UK or European routes - and that's from probably 200-300 flights.

Long haul is different, with maybe 2 per year out of about 14-15 TATLs/TPACs, usually WT+ to CW.

(Of course, if 'one' always fly CE, CW (3-class) or F (4-class) you can never be upgraded anyway!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.