Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 1 needs a Tom Tom [10 Feb, stuck in Shannon, navigation equipment issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 1 needs a Tom Tom [10 Feb, stuck in Shannon, navigation equipment issues]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've never noticed it going over but maybe it misses my (the west) end of the island.
I thought they were looking for rhymes for Nantucket? I can think of at least one!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by madfish
I thought they were looking for rhymes for Nantucket? I can think of at least one!

Bucket?

Suck it?

Puppet?

Muppet (as in which muppet didn't load the right maps?)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
This thread should be nominated as thread-of-the-year or something like that. I don't see how we can beat this.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
From what I can remember there is 3 or 4 FT on that flight.
Wow - over 10% of (CW) PAX were FTers on this flight? <Stores data point for use in future thread on relevance of opinions posted here>

On a flight to New York with BA,
Suddenly one pilot did say,
"The computer say no!,
Tell Alex no-go,
In Limerick, he'll just have to stay"
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Charlie26r
BA4452 on the 10th? We're overnighting in RTM on 9th.
Enjoy RTM - my favourite Dutch city ^ I am biased, I admit, having used to live there
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
As one of the token Irishmen around can I please point out Shannon is in Clare, not Limerick
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by stifle
As one of the token Irishmen around can I please point out Shannon is in Clare, not Limerick
Why let geographic facts get in the way of some great limericks. Isn't SNN only 10-20 miles from Limerick?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
And now arrived at JFK. Hopefully all those on board had a good flight.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, KLM Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Platinium
And now arrived at JFK. Hopefully all those on board had a good flight.

Was ok. They manage to get some catering and where awfully apologetic

Last little twist. We are stuck taxiing because our gate needed to be cleaned up of the snow.... it just never ends..

Now it's on to compensation
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by McG
It sounds like the wrong ARINC Nav Database was loaded into the Flight Management Computer. Every 28 days a new database is released. The databases include all of the navaids, airports, departure procedures, approach procedures and waypoints that are then displayed on the pilots navigation display. I'm not sure how they're uploaded to the Flight Management Computer - memory card or USB transfer or if there is some sort of fancy device.

If the ARINC changeover occurred while the aircraft was on the ground at LHR, I could quite easily see how the European database got loaded rather than the European and North American.
On the right track, McG - unlike BA1 !

At risk of the thread going off track by not including a limerick ....

Worldwide, Navigation data is changed on what is known as the AIRAC cycle and it's always on a Thursday. The last one was 02-Feb and the next one is 02-Mar.
If the aircraft had been in the hangar at LHR it probably wouldn't have been updated until it went back to the line. That's probably where the error occurred. Engineering service used to be undertaken at LGW on the A318's and they probably had a procedure in place to load the correct Database for N.Atlantic Ops.

How is the data uploaded to the FMC ? .... would you believe from a 3.5 inch floppy disk ! (and they cause no end of problems (more the loading machines rather than the disks)). Why not USB or Memory Cards ? Because of the cost. Modifying the aircraft, certification etc.

Back to the limericks
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Oh okay, I was genuinely looking forward to seeing one of these overhead heading down towards JFK or back to LCY.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Snafu_again
Why not USB or Memory Cards ? Because of the cost. Modifying the aircraft, certification etc.

Back to the limericks
That won't be a problem in the U.S. very soon
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Time to read up on wikitravel for Limerick, you're staying the night. They will have another go at 10:00 hrs on Saturday.
People, get this right. The antecedent transatlantic stop off point (Foynes) was in Limerick, Shannon is in Clare. Time to take advantage of Mr Trump's hospitality in Doonbeg rather than grim Limerick ("Stab City" as it is known).
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
TomTom isn't necessarily what you want. In my experience TomTom will tell the captain to fly South to Morocco before turning right towards New York because there is "less" traffic. If you don't obey the man/woman and fly the shortest and quickest route, it will get all German and order you to make u-turns before recalculating the route shortly before arriving.
Retard, retard, retard.
You have arrived at your destination on the left.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by stifle
Ah sure it is, but if we had done a limerick about Alex being stuck in Clare we would have been moved to Omni quicker than you could say Moderator!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.