The BA Champagne & Wine thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 23, 18, 12:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Wiki Link
First Cabin:
Bubbles: LPGS, Jacquart Rosé Mosaïque NV, Bolney Estate Vintage Blanc de Blancs

Reds: Chateau Cantemerle 2008 Cru Classe Haut Medoc. 2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. Geol 2014 Bodegas Tomas Cusine Costers, Spain. Ch teau Rouget 2008 Pomerol, Sileni Estate The Plateau Pinot Noir 2014. Acústic Celler Ritme 2014

Whites: 2014 Meursault Bouchard Pere et Fils. Cheninsolite 2014 Anjou Blanc (sweet). 2015 Pinot Gris, Oregon USA. Saint-Aubin Premier Cru La Chateniere 2014. Pouilly-Fumé 2015, Domaine des Cassiers. Tellurian Heathcote Fiano 2015

CCR:

Bubbles: LPGS
Reds: 2009 Chateau Olivier, Pessac-Leognan; 2014 Shannon Rockview Ridge; 2014 REX HILL Willamette Valley
Whites: 2013 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Cru Vaulorent; 2015 Paul Culver Elgin; 2015 Fox Gordon Princess Fiano

Galleries First T5:
Duval LeRoy 2006

Club World:

Club Europe:
Champagne de Castelnau
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by noFODplease View Post
What are the current champagnes on offer on Club World? Has it changed from Henriot?

Thank you!
Canard-Duchene is the main one now IIRC.
Old Feb 22, 19, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In the same way that many good wines improve with age, I'm glad to see that the "2017" vintage of this thread is still alive and well.

Those who are able to may want to read Jancis Robinson's FT article on airline wine:-
Jancis Robinson on the best airline wine lists

While a lot of airlines have cut their wine budget, it’s not all doom and gloom for oenophiles

In 1995, I was invited to join the team responsible for choosing the wine on British Airways. I felt very grown-up.

Other team members were Hugh Johnson, the world’s best-selling wine author, Michael Broadbent, head of Christie’s wine department, and Colin Anderson, another Master of Wine who was once responsible for buying so much wine for Allied Lyons that his nose was insured with Lloyd’s.

It will come as no surprise to those who know the subsequent history that Jancis Robinson is particularly scathing about what has happened at BA, nor that she refers to (this) FT in relation to the Villa Maria episode (although I'm not convinced that the correct wine has been identified); but the article also contains a lot of interesting background information about how things are done by many airlines.

Also notable in the article are a couple of quoted observations from Charles Metcalfe:-
  • Airlines still haven’t cottoned on that we prefer having something that we might enjoy to a smart name. We judge blind, so we can’t be impressed by labels.
  • Squeezed budgets aren’t a problem because we know you can find very good wines at lower prices. Most airline buyers are still selecting “famous” names, even though these won’t always give the most pleasure.
Yet so much commentary here on FT is based on name and price rather than how good the wine was - particularly what the wine tastes like at altitude, which is notably different from what it tastes like at sea level.
Tobias-UK and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 2:52 am

Hello I am flying next month to Bom in first does anybody know what wines will be served or if they are the same as mentioned earlier? Many thanks
Old Feb 25, 19, 12:41 pm

Programs: Air: QR Platinum. BA, Emirates, AB. Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum.
So now BA's First class can''t even be considered the best business class in the sky !!!

How far the airline has fallen :-(

This airline is now more embarrassing that the lack of Brexit planning.
Old Feb 25, 19, 12:44 pm

Programs: Air: QR Platinum. BA, Emirates, AB. Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by CharlotteC View Post
Hello I am flying next month to Bom in first does anybody know what wines will be served or if they are the same as mentioned earlier? Many thanks
Probably whatever LIDL have on special offer that week !!
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus View Post
Probably whatever LIDL have on special offer that week !!
HeeHee - obviously plus the LP champagne...
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Loyalty lobby website is discussing less than 6 euro bottles in first class
Old Apr 7, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In a very crowded T5 GF at the moment. Pleased to find Chateau La Dominique St Emilion Grand Cru Classe 2008 which is drinking very well but only available in some of the red wine locations
Old Apr 7, 19, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Even more of a treat now. Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste 2006. They must know it is my birthday. 😎😎
Old Apr 9, 19, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
Even more of a treat now. Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste 2006. They must know it is my birthday. 😎😎
That is a lucky find! I was in GF for a couple of hours on the evening of the 6th and there was certainly none of it then although the St Emilion Grand Cru was there.
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Mixed bag in GF today. The heavily promoted standard champagne is Canard-Duchene Cuvee Leonie (same as served in CW, avail for £22). No sign of the Charles VII. A shame to see the loss of vintage bubbles in the F lounge. Hopefully temporary.

Somewhat compensated by a 2009 Chateau Lynch-Moussas.
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver Hilton Diamond
Current CE champagne?

Flying LGW-MLA this weekend. Any idea what champagne is currently on offer at Gatwick Galleries Club and zone 4 CE?
Old Apr 17, 19, 4:09 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
GC was Castelnau but last time I was in GC it was on self pour!
Old Yesterday, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie View Post
Flying LGW-MLA this weekend. Any idea what champagne is currently on offer at Gatwick Galleries Club and zone 4 CE?
The CE Champagne is generally single serve bottles of Castelnau Brut Reserve NV these days although the occasional mini bottle of Pommery does appear sometimes instead (although from my records the last time that happened to me was BA0379 TLS-LHR on 6th December 2018 - yes sadly I do keep records of all my CE meals!!!).

As the previous poster mentioned the GC Champagne at Gatwick is 75cl bottles of Castelnau Brut Reserve NV. Sometimes it is on request but at Gatwick they do often put it on self pour during busier times and also in the evenings I have noticed it after the GF lounge has closed.