FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to fly from BHX and BRS. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1820737-ba-fly-bhx-brs.html)

monkeytennis Feb 9, 2017 3:48 am

BA to fly from BHX and BRS.

Similar format to STN and MAN. Good for some I suppose.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_featu...etreg&region=2

corporate-wage-slave Feb 9, 2017 3:56 am

Well a few FTers may be somewhat impressed. Here is the official version from British Airways, reproduced below for those on mobiles:

http://mediacentre.britishairways.co.../8244?ref=News

Originally Posted by British Airways
British Airways is to start flying from Birmingham and Bristol airports again with the launch of four new summer-only routes to popular European sunspots.

From May the airline will begin direct flights from both Birmingham and Bristol to the popular Spanish destinations of Malaga, Ibiza and Palma and to the Italian city of Florence. They will operate on modern Embraer 190 jet aircraft, with spacious cabins and two abreast seating so every customer can have an aisle or window seat.

The new return flights from both airports will operate once a week at weekends. British Airways last flew from Birmingham and Bristol in 2007 when the regional airline business was sold to Flybe.

Since then Vueling and Iberia Express, subsidiaries of British Airways’ parent company, International Airlines Group (IAG), have started up services to Barcelona, Malaga, Alicante, Tenerife, Paris Orly and Madrid from Birmingham, while Aer Lingus has continued to operate to Dublin from Birmingham since 1984.

Aer Lingus Regional operate from Bristol to Dublin.

The news comes just a week after British Airways announced it is to resume European flights from Manchester Airport and increase destinations and frequencies from both London City and Stansted airports this summer.

Luke Hayhoe, British Airways’ general manager commercial and customer, said: “We are very excited to be returning to Birmingham and Bristol with four very popular routes. Customers can once again enjoy competitively priced flights to the sun direct from their doorstep with British Airways to those destinations they tell us they want to fly to. We look forward to a busy summer at both airports.”

David Winstanley, Chief Operating Officer for Birmingham Airport, said, “Having British Airways return to Birmingham is not only great news for the airport but also the Midlands region and we are confident this is the beginning of a long-term growth plan with the airline. Launching these four routes, of which Florence is currently unserved, means British Airways and Avios card holders as well as leisure travellers looking for a two-class cabin product can travel from their more convenient airport than those further afield. We look forward to welcoming one of the world’s most recognisable and trusted brands back to Birmingham in May.”

Robert Sinclair, Chief Executive Officer, Bristol Airport said: “We are delighted with today’s announcement which will see the iconic British Airways brand returning to Bristol Airport. It will be the first time an airline has operated a scheduled service between Bristol and the Italian historic city of Florence which we are sure will prove very popular. These additional flights to Palma, Florence, Ibiza and Malaga offers passengers in the South West and Wales region further choice of scheduled flights for the summer season. We look forward to working with British Airways on the new routes and further enhancing the services available from Bristol. “

ENDS

Notes to editors:
Basic each way fares from Bristol to Palma from £45, to Florence and Ibiza from £49 and to Malaga from £59 are available to book on www.ba.com
Basic each way fares from Birmingham to Ibiza from £45 and to Florence, Malaga and Palma from £49 are available to book on www.ba.com

Schedule:

Route

Bristol-Florence
1.10pm 4.25pm
Florence- Bristol
11.05am 12.25pm
Bristol-Ibiza
3.25pm 6.50pm
Ibiza- Bristol
1.10pm 2.40pm
Bristol-Malaga
4pm 7.40pm
Malaga-Bristol
1.30pm 3.15pm
Bristol-Palma
4.30pm 7.55pm
Palma-Bristol
2.15pm 3.45pm

--
Birmingham-Florence
7.30pm 10.40pm
Florence-Birmingham
5.10pm 6.35pm
Birmingham-Ibiza
10.10pm 1.45am
Ibiza-Birmingham
7.50pm 9.25pm
Birmingham-Malaga
11.05pm 2.55am
Malaga-Birmingham
8.25pm 10.20pm
Birmingham-Palma
11pm 2.30am
Palma-Birmingham
8.40pm 10.15pm

About Birmingham Airport:
Birmingham Airport is the UK’s third largest airport outside London, and the UK’s seventh largest overall, handling 12m passengers a year. It serves more than 140 direct routes and offers an additional 300 possible connections worldwide. Find out more about Birmingham Airport at www.birminghamairport.co.uk or on Twitter at bhx_official

About Bristol Airport:
Bristol Airport is the UK’s fifth largest airport outside London with direct flights to 117 destinations across 30 countries. It is ranked number one in the world in OAG’s punctuality league table measuring on-time performance across 4,000 airports worldwide in 2014, and top in the UK in 2015. In 2016 the airport handled 7.5m passengers, forecast to handle 8m in 2017. Planning permission in place to develop and enhance facilities to enable Bristol Airport to handle 10 million passengers per annum.

bhbloke Feb 9, 2017 3:58 am

Notice they're not selling the positioning flight to/from LCY on these 2.

A shame, might have been a nice cheap run for a few extra TP's ! :cool:

Worcester Feb 9, 2017 4:02 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 27885609)

They may not have thought there is any demand, write and ask.

Good news anyway that BA is taking more notice of the regions, lets hope they build on this.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 9, 2017 4:05 am

The thing I don't see in the press release is the precise days of the week involved, though one can guess. They aren't in BA.com at the moment, that typically happens within a day or two.

MHendo84 Feb 9, 2017 4:06 am

LCY-BRS would be extremely convenient for me!

layz Feb 9, 2017 4:06 am

bmi regional are also expanding to BHX (they've been in BRS for a while). I noticed yesterday they were promoting a partnership with Virgin Trains to get people to BHX (Birmingham International station is connected to the airport and is a major stop on the WCML). Turns out the partnership just seems to be a tab on their website saying 'trains' that links to the Virgin Trains website via an affiliate link!

It's a shame they're not selling LCY-BHX and BRS (or will they and just not widely promote it?) but anyone wanting to try the flights from BHX it does have good rail connections from London so it's not too much of a problem.

bhbloke Feb 9, 2017 4:12 am

Originally Posted by MHendo84 (Post 27885629)

Just the once a week though? ;)

Swiss Tony Feb 9, 2017 4:14 am

Are they doing the same format though? All the flights are med->UK->med, rather than the other way round, so presumably LCY-FLR-BRS-FLR-LCY etc.
This should make them less prone to cascading delays, however.

DYKWIA Feb 9, 2017 4:16 am

Those times look strange... I assume there are 2 planes zig-zagging between Bristol & Brum?

florens Feb 9, 2017 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 27885645)
Are they doing the same format though? All the flights are med->UK->med, rather than the other way round, so presumably LCY-FLR-BRS-FLR-LCY etc.
This should make them less prone to cascading delays, however.

Or actually even FLR-BRS-FLR-BHX-FLR, no?

Swiss Tony Feb 9, 2017 4:20 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 27885655)
Or actually even FLR-BRS-FLR-BHX-FLR, no?

Quite possibly - but either way it mitigates the need to position a plane on a Friday afternoon.

DrBernardo Feb 9, 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by MHendo84 (Post 27885629)

Look more closely at the schedules - the outbound sector from the UK is always after the inbound.

It looks to my mind as though these are either going to operate

LCY-XXX-BRS-XXX-BHX-XXX (nightstop) LCY

or LCY-XXX-BRS-XXX-LCY plus LCY-XXX-BHX-XXX (nightstop) LCY

I reckon the former.

Which, incidentally, given the quite short turnaround times, may prove a bit of a nightmare for creeping delays. Plus I really don't fancy some of those BHX outbound flight timings to Spain! Nevertheless, given BHX, LHR and BRS are more or less equidistant from me, this is an interesting sign of things to come.

ian001 Feb 9, 2017 4:28 am

Looking at the timetable these are all Saturday services so there'll be no positioning flights from LCY:

http://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/all-...wsummerroutes/

One point of note is that BHX and BRS are both owned in whole or in part by the Ontario Teachers Fund so like MAN and STN announcements seem to be made by common airport owner.

SaraJH Feb 9, 2017 4:31 am

Good news for me being near BHX but those flight timings don't look great!