Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I must be a minority; preferred aircraft in F

I must be a minority; preferred aircraft in F

Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by perthflyer
The 747 F is the only one missing for me although I have been in row 1 in the nose for a QF JFK-LAX (albeit in J) and enjoyed the privacy. Even though the configuration was 2-2 there was still just 14 seats, so the same capacity as BA F.
I did QF F on the 747 when it had 14 seats in the nose but there were four window seats on each side with three middle pairs. I found it much worse then BA's configuration. The window seats were much more align with the fuselage.

On one flight I was in 1K and so had my bags in the overhead locker above 2K, but because of the position of the front middle pair getting the bags out from the overhead was a bit of a bugger, particularly when those people were sleeping.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
789/380 tie > 747 1AK > 777 > 747 any other seat
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:58 am

I'm missing the 789, and unlikely to get it any time soon.

The A380 is the only one that feels like a 'real' F cabin. The seat isn't huge with acres of wasted plastic but the cabin makes you feel like you have plenty of space to yourself and the last time i flew one the tasting menu was a pleasant experience.

The 777 is a very, very good business seat, whilst the 747 is an average business seat. Other than being in the nose of a jumbo i don't see anything else going for it.

The 789 looks very business like to me too.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Fraser
I did QF F on the 747 when it had 14 seats in the nose but there were four window seats on each side with three middle pairs. I found it much worse then BA's configuration. The window seats were much more align with the fuselage.
Yes, the old QF 747 F was similar to BA old F, but instead of the window seats angling out towards the window for privacy, they angled in/were more flush to the fuselage. I thought it made the cabin seem a bit more friendly, though each seat less private. Seats were marginally more comfortable, as I recall, though a bit less storage space (especially if you compared with OF 5AK or 4AK)...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Not done A380
For me 789 window> 747 2 or 3 window > 777 1or 2 window
Still not totally sure re 789 going to give it another try; my memory of it was that your personal space is very busy amd complicated but I give it makes for being innovative
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Yes, the old QF 747 F was similar to BA old F, but instead of the window seats angling out towards the window for privacy, they angled in/were more flush to the fuselage. I thought it made the cabin seem a bit more friendly, though each seat less private. Seats were marginally more comfortable, as I recall, though a bit less storage space (especially if you compared with OF 5AK or 4AK)...
the 747 in F is an average business seat. That made me chuckle.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
Maybe it's emotional or nostalgic, IDK.
But having tried F on the 777, 747 and recently the 380 I still rate the nose of the 747 highest, despite the more cramped space.

I found the 380 quite underwhelming. Huge space compared to 747. But it lacks warmth and feels cheapish. All that unused grey plastic on your side.

777 cabin feels slick, I really like it and seats are bigger than 747 but same design and feeling.

But, with the 747, nothing beats turning left into the nose. There is no galley upfront. It has a special feeling.
I kind of agree with you, especially your comments on the A380 being underwhelming with lots of grey plastic. However, I would always take the A380 over the 747 on a night flight and maybe the other way round on a day flight. Also, I love the 789 and think the cabin is very nicely done. Not a fan of the 777.

I have a flight to MIA next month on the 747 and can't wait!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
789/380 tie > 747 1AK > 777 > 747 any other seat
+1

Although never tried the 380 and not in a rush too, quiet aircraft but just looks like a waste of space and a little bland. They missed a trick when creating the suite/seats
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Petrus
Maybe it's emotional or nostalgic, IDK.
But having tried F on the 777, 747 and recently the 380 I still rate the nose of the 747 highest, despite the more cramped space.

I found the 380 quite underwhelming. Huge space compared to 747. But it lacks warmth and feels cheapish. All that unused grey plastic on your side.

777 cabin feels slick, I really like it and seats are bigger than 747 but same design and feeling.

But, with the 747, nothing beats turning left into the nose. There is no galley upfront. It has a special feeling.
How dare you!

Whilst I accept your point on the decor, yes it is rather bland (and I do miss the blue window blinds as you board), I still find the A380 my favourite. I like the space, the quietness, the improved privacy, the buddy seat (when travelling with family) and the better air quality. I also feel the bed is better and (perhaps physiologically) a little bigger.

My favorite aircraft in order of preference (and it all really comes down to space): A388, B772, B773, B744. The B744 used to be my favourite (especially in OF days) but over time it's gradually lost its mojo. I find I always have a very decent sleep on the A380, far more so than the B744.

I've not yet flown on the B789 so can't compare/comment on that aircraft, although I have recently received notice of an aircraft change to B789 from B772 on both sectors of an imminent trip to YYZ. I have mixed feelings on the substitution (I choose the outbound flight to avoid the B744!), my dear friend morges1 is not a fan of that aircraft and he doesn't moan about his travel experiences without good cause.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
How dare you!

Whilst I accept your point on the decor, yes it is rather bland (and I do miss the blue window blinds as you board), I still find the A380 my favourite. I like the space, the quietness, the improved privacy, the buddy seat (when travelling with family) and the better air quality. I also feel the bed is better and (perhaps physiologically) a little bigger.

My favorite aircraft in order of preference (and it all really comes down to space): A388, B772, B773, B744. The B744 used to be my favourite (especially in OF days) but over time it's gradually lost its mojo. I find I always have a very decent sleep on the A380, far more so than the B744.

I've not yet flown on the B789 so can't compare/comment on that aircraft, although I have recently received notice of an aircraft change to B789 from B772 on both sectors of an imminent trip to YYZ. I have mixed feeling on it, my dear friend morges1 is not a fan of that aircraft and he doesn't moan about his travel experiences without good cause.
Hope you enjoy the 789 flight to YYZ. If stuck in 2K I do hope they fixed the sliding tray (G-ZBKC)

My one regret is not flying to the 388 to IAD when the 7 course taster menu was in place. Sadly this is now toast along with flowers in the LAV etc

What were your friends gripes with the 789?? I really enjoyed the 8 seat cabin experience, there were only 2 other pax in F with me though.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by tynmar
... What were your friends gripes with the 789?? I really enjoyed the 8 seat cabin experience, there were only 2 other pax in F with me though.
Have a look at these two posts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post26482812
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post26536847
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:23 am

Thanks for that, had a read of your friends honest comments. Have seen similar notes about the lights on the 789, I nearly broke mine before working out all the functions of the new new new seat (NNNF?)

And my hat is off to you Sir, cake in the CCR? impressive
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by tynmar
... And my hat is off to you Sir, cake in the CCR? impressive
The first time I'd blushed in many, many years - the whole of the CCR staff, the Lounge Angels and one of the Specials surrounded my chair and sang Happy Birthday at me. It was very sweet of them, and I was greatly touched ... but I did blush!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

The first time I'd blushed in many, many years - the whole of the CCR staff, the Lounge Angels and one of the Specials surrounded my chair and sang Happy Birthday at me. It was very sweet of them, and I was greatly touched ... but I did blush!
Do they do that as routine for all 60th birthdays?

It's been 2 years since I was in F but my preference is

380, 777-300, 747, 777-200. Still to try the 789 which will hopefully be May.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've not yet flown on the B789 so can't compare/comment on that aircraft, although I have recently received notice of an aircraft change to B789 from B772 on both sectors of an imminent trip to YYZ. I have mixed feelings on the substitution (I choose the outbound flight to avoid the B744!), my dear friend morges1 is not a fan of that aircraft and he doesn't moan about his travel experiences without good cause.
Indeed he is not a moaner but certainly doesn't like the 787. I think the difference is, on the whole, whether you are travelling as a couple or not. The 789 has no buddy seat, the cabin isn't big, and the seats along the side are staggered. So not so couple friendly, except perhaps the centre pair.

As a single traveller mainly, and someone who has travelled First in all of BA fleet (without ever paying for it!), my ranking is:
787-9 then A380, then B747 if I'm in row 1. If not in row 1 then 777 is better than the 747, other than the 17 seater, which is too many.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.