Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I must be a minority; preferred aircraft in F

I must be a minority; preferred aircraft in F

Old Feb 9, 17, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
Apologies for OT. I (plus wife) are booked on BA6 NRT-LHR in seats 2E/F (middle) on 789.
However, when I use expertflyer to check cabin F seats allocation, I find 1A and 1K are blocked (as I would expect) and 2E/F are showing as available. All others (in 8 seat F cabin) are occupied. Can anyone explain whats going on for me please?
Old Feb 9, 17, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Maybe it's emotional or nostalgic, IDK.
But having tried F on the 777, 747 and recently the 380 I still rate the nose of the 747 highest, despite the more cramped space.

I found the 380 quite underwhelming. Huge space compared to 747. But it lacks warmth and feels cheapish. All that unused grey plastic on your side.

777 cabin feels slick, I really like it and seats are bigger than 747 but same design and feeling.

But, with the 747, nothing beats turning left into the nose. There is no galley upfront. It has a special feeling.
Haven't done the 380 yet (although when it hits BOS I may have no choice) but if it's a toss up between the 777 and the 747 I'm with you in that I much prefer the 747. There's something about snagging 1K and knowing that (along with 1A) you're seated the furthest forward on the plane, even further than the pilots. The fact that there's no need for the crew to come into the cabin except to help you to or with something (i.e. no thoroughfare) is another big plus. It might also be a subconscious reason for not liking the 777 as much. On one 777 flight I left my BlackBerry in the overhead locker when getting off and BOS Special Services had to go and retrieve it for me from the F cabin.
Old Feb 9, 17, 11:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
Do they do that as routine for all 60th birthdays? ...
Get lost you
Old Feb 9, 17, 11:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Indeed he is not a moaner but certainly doesn't like the 787. I think the difference is, on the whole, whether you are travelling as a couple or not. The 789 has no buddy seat, the cabin isn't big, and the seats along the side are staggered. So not so couple friendly, except perhaps the centre pair.

As a single traveller mainly, and someone who has travelled First in all of BA fleet (without ever paying for it!), my ranking is:
787-9 then A380, then B747 if I'm in row 1. If not in row 1 then 777 is better than the 747, other than the 17 seater, which is too many.
I'm pleased you have enjoyed the B789, and rate it so highly. I feel much happier about the substitution after reading this. I will be taking The Lady Tobias with me on the Toronto trip so on the upside at least I know I'll be able to enjoy a little peace and quiet on the flight!
Old Feb 9, 17, 2:35 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, gold; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Indeed he is not a moaner but certainly doesn't like the 787. I think the difference is, on the whole, whether you are travelling as a couple or not. The 789 has no buddy seat, the cabin isn't big, and the seats along the side are staggered. So not so couple friendly, except perhaps the centre pair.

As a single traveller mainly, and someone who has travelled First in all of BA fleet (without ever paying for it!), my ranking is:
787-9 then A380, then B747 if I'm in row 1. If not in row 1 then 777 is better than the 747, other than the 17 seater, which is too many.
Thanks, T-UK and c-w-s, I usually don't moan. It's just that I have had several flights with ripped out lamp holes covered in duct tape, a problem inflight entertainment system, coloured by the worst food I've ever had (but I can't blame the aircraft for that, rather Delhi catering). Now I'm travelling a lot less workwise, I am more likely to travel with Mme M1 and since we both like window seats, we do miss the buddy seat (as c-w-s pointed out). Will be doing HKG in a few weeks time on favourite A380 but will return a couple of weeks later on the famous 789 again out of Delhi, so stay tuned for any change of heart on both 789s and Delhi catering!
Old Feb 9, 17, 10:32 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by morges1 View Post
Will be doing HKG in a few weeks time on favourite A380 but will return a couple of weeks later on the famous 789 again out of Delhi, so stay tuned for any change of heart on both 789s and Delhi catering!
I can assure you - DEL catering is still woeful. My last DEL CW sector in late January, the starter was (genuinely) inedible and the desert was pure stodge. The only saving grace was the rotis served in the bread basket.

Annoying, because EK and QR seem to do better out of DEL than BA, catering wise.