Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Amex BA Premium Plus - new fee policy or a mistake???

Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
I received a slightly different letter.

[BAPP holder for 10 years, on a £0 annual fee, despite no longer having Platinum charge card.. assume it was a grandfathering thing.
Downgraded to blue card in February after receiving letter that fee would now be £195.]

Have phoned up today to return to BAPP with no fee - has been actioned.

Last edited by McCoy; Jun 26, 2017 at 5:25 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I still get my Premium Plus card for free. This is due to having a Amex Platinum Charge card.
I have both and have been paying a fee for 8 years....can i ask for this to be free?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by McCoy
I received a slightly different letter.
FWIW, it looks like this is the same letter as that received by baggageinhall, posted to this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...olte-face.html
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kaveh96
I have both and have been paying a fee for 8 years....can i ask for this to be free?
The grandfathering ended long before then, so no, I'm afraid.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Roger
Today's post brought the apology letter, dated 23 March.

I admit to being confused. Having received 2 online messages giving 100% different info, today's snailmail letter, in addition to offering sincere apologies (yeah, right) says inter alia:

So all's OK, then - my BAPP continues at £0 annual fee?

Well, no. Given that BA told me my PRG card was not a qualifying companion card, I was faced with paying £140 + £195 = £335 p.a. for the 2 cards. Not worth it for me, so I cancelled the PRG, received almost a year's fee refund and diarised cancellation of the BAPP for next February's renewal date.

I'm invited to call AmEx if I have any questions. Yes, I'd like the BAPP @ £0 p.a. and would like to renew the PRG to secure it. Do I do this now? I suppose it would be a new application. Or do I try in September (over 6 months since cancellation) and hope for a bonus?

Decisions, decisions! I'm inclined not to ask AmEx since their previous info was total bowlocks.
Well, I rang. They said they were opening a file and would call me back.

Three or so months later, I'm still waiting for the call and don't expect it.

Based on AmEx's admittedly curious first responses, I had cancelled my PRG and now do not feel like applying for another qualifying companion card. It looks like I'll be living without the BAPP in the future. It was nice while it lasted - over 24 years, can it be? - but the card and benefits are no longer what they were.

Perhaps I'll sleep on it ...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I received a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill for all the promised calls. The whole system is farcical and I firmly believe that anyone who downgrades, due to the fee, will get a 'please return to PP card after a short lapse.

If I change my 2-4-1 requirements, I may try the downgrade route.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've read through this thread with interest, trying to map it to my own situation

I currently pay £0 for my BAPP, having held a Plat Charge Card continuously since 2003 (I converted from the fee-free BA card to the BAPP at the same time). Having suffered the £300-->£450 fee increase for the Plat Charge Card a couple of years back coupled with scaling back the benefits (particularly insurance) I am considering downgrading to Green or Gold to keep my MR balance (>400k) alive. Obviously whether that would impact my £0 fee BAPP is a concern. I value the BAPP enough to want to keep it - doubling up on 2-for-1 vouchers most particularly.

I called Amex in the Philippines who said any change in the charge card account would result in the whole £195 fee being payable. Has anyone done this and had that experience?

If that is indeed the case i'm looking at £450 decreasing to £335 if I drop to Gold (£140+£195, though just £195 first year assuming £140 fee is waived). If I drop to Green it's £255 (£60+£195). Alternatively I've got a corporate Green via my employer I think I can pay a £30 fee to earn MRs through which might be the best option at £225.

Any advice or relevant experiences?

[EDIT: Raffles to the rescue making me aware of the [url=https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/09/25/how-to-keep-your-membership-rewards-points-when-cancelling-amex-gold-or-platinum/]Amex Rewards Credit Card]

Last edited by BA97; Dec 15, 2017 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Are there any other Platinum credit card holders reading this thread who were moved off the £30 fee onto the £150 fee back in 2011?
I have noticed that the Financial Ombudsman has published a decision rejecting a complaint from someone in this position, on the basis that those who were "accidentally" (according to Amex) kept on £30 a year after 2011 simply got lucky; and that despite the 2017 decisions to abolish and then retain the £30 level for the lucky ones, Amex has no obligation to treat all of the original group consistently: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.u...?FileID=161412.

That would appear to signal the end to my complaint.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I have noticed that the Financial Ombudsman has published a decision rejecting a complaint from someone in this position, on the basis that those who were "accidentally" (according to Amex) kept on £30 a year after 2011 simply got lucky; and that despite the 2017 decisions to abolish and then retain the £30 level for the lucky ones, Amex has no obligation to treat all of the original group consistently: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.u...?FileID=161412.

That would appear to signal the end to my complaint.
I did not realise that B A Baracus held a BA Amex Premium Plus cars. Clearly the Ombudsman must Pity the Fool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.