Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Open 05:15 to the last flight daily, for Silver/Sapphire and Club passengers, plus guest(s) where applicable, usual oneworld rules apply.

For the Gatwick South BA User Guide, click here.
Details on the First lounge can be found here:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...st-lounge.html

Review: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ub-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Horatio
Was surprised to see self-pour Castelnau in the LGW south business lounge at the weekend. I thought all 'normal' BA Club lounges only had it on request and I don't remember seeing it the previous times I was in that lounge. Is this an exception to the rule or is this indicative of a wider change? Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere.
They do sometimes leave out self-pour in LGW Galleries lounges during quiet periods, and always have done so, incidentally. One Christmas 2 or 3 years ago the LPGS from First (in itself a surprise) was also left out in Galleries. More likely to happen after 19:00 hrs, I think when the combination of staff and passenger numbers makes it easier to do, and the First lounge gets closed at around 20:00 hrs.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They do sometimes leave out self-pour in LGW Galleries lounges during quiet periods, and always have done so, incidentally. One Christmas 2 or 3 years ago the LPGS from First (in itself a surprise) was also left out in Galleries. More likely to happen after 19:00 hrs, I think when the combination of staff and passenger numbers makes it easier to do, and the First lounge gets closed at around 20:00 hrs.
Oh ok thanks - had never noticed, or twigged. Although this was at 3pm on Friday, so not that quiet a period!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:02 am

Self pour arrived about 3pm Saturday too. Though before that time there was no shortage of people asking for it from the staff. (In typical British shy fashion, half the people asked for "sparkling wine" or "the fizzy stuff"..
maybe they were deriding it instead )

I t​hought the lounge was very nice. It had that new leather smell like a new car.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold
It took quite a bit of convincing to be permitted entry to the J lounge at LGW South last week. I'm Qantas Gold (OWS) and was flying in Y on CX. Anyone know the reason why CX gives you a lounge invite to use the No 1 lounge instead of directing passengers to BA? I thought the new space was great, and good views of the airfield. The mezzanine level was empty and was a good place to relax.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by grant32
. Anyone know the reason why CX gives you a lounge invite to use the No 1 lounge instead of directing passengers to BA?
Cathay were in South before BA, and this was a arrangement which pre-dates the BA lounge. That said, it's not unusual for CX to offer third party lounges when there are other (and often better) oneworld airlines available, bit of mystery why this should be, I presume it's cost related.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by grant32
Anyone know the reason why CX gives you a lounge invite to use the No 1 lounge instead of directing passengers to BA?
​​​​​​
Perhaps it's cheaper than paying BA?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Can anyone confirm who is eligible to use the Shower facilities in the new LGW south lounges? I've been through the lounge on 4 separate occasions since opening - twice to connect to Business UK flights (both from long haul CW flights) and twice to connect to long haul (one club world, one WTP). It would have been nice to use the showers connecting off the long haul onto the domestic as I had a lengthy connection however I was informed the showers were for First class passengers only. Since then several friends (no status but travelling WTP/Business UK) have been able to use them when connecting to the Business UK flight.
bit confused and couldn't really find an answer on the forum.

Just realised I mean Club Europe not Business UK - I haven't really moved on yet. Meant all block with the "Europe" reference when it's still domestic!
Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
Can anyone confirm who is eligible to use the Shower facilities in the new LGW south lounges?
According to BA.com, showers are part of the Club lounge offering as well. Sounds like you were misinformed on a previous visit.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Are staff numbers still as plentiful as in the early days?

I'm off to Bordeaux on Thursday and don't like to wait long for my breakfast Champagne
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The left turn after security shortcut currently blocked off. Lounge entry says probably due to water leaks. 1st is leaky right now apparently.

In happier news the club lounge is lovely.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
I've just been turned away from the club lounge - BA Blue (Bronze after this trip, what a high roller I am) flying IB Express in business.

I tried to explain that as a Oneworld J ticket I should be allowed in, but I was sent packing to the No. 1 lounge. Was I wrong?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
I've just been turned away from the club lounge - BA Blue (Bronze after this trip, what a high roller I am) flying IB Express in business.

I tried to explain that as a Oneworld J ticket I should be allowed in, but I was sent packing to the No. 1 lounge. Was I wrong?
I think they are wrong, you could ask them to have a look at page 21 in their Lounge Eligibility Guide. However you are not the first to have had this problem. I'm currently on the HKG-LGW service en route to EDI, so I'll initiate a discussion on this when I land to see if I can find out what the difficulty is. They can legitimately deny entry on capacity grounds.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the very quick reply.

Very frustrating that they seem to be in the wrong here. I think the problem was that the manual they referred to only mentions access for OW emerald and sapphires - it doesn't seem to mention J passengers without status at all.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Thanks for the very quick reply.

Very frustrating that they seem to be in the wrong here. I think the problem was that the manual they referred to only mentions access for OW emerald and sapphires - it doesn't seem to mention J passengers without status at all.
That page 21 is for non status passengers, since pages 13 and 14 handle the status scenarios. Most of the remaining pages would be irrelevant for LGW, so maybe they aren't au fait with the end of the tome, but page 21 is headed Iberia / Iberia Express.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Most of the remaining pages would be irrelevant for LGW, so maybe they aren't au fait with the end of the tome, but page 21 is headed Iberia / Iberia Express.
Ah, I don't think they made it as far as page 21. I appreciate your replies though - and I'd appreciate a quick word with the LGW lounge guardians even more!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.