Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Open 05:15 to the last flight daily, for Silver/Sapphire and Club passengers, plus guest(s) where applicable, usual oneworld rules apply.

For the Gatwick South BA User Guide, click here.
Details on the First lounge can be found here:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...st-lounge.html

Review: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ub-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

London Gatwick South: British Airways Club Lounge

Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:22 am

Limited Access

Just to keep you up to speed I have just contacted BA to enquire if this lounge will be fully opened by next Sunday which is when I next fly out of LGW and I have received the following message, unsure who is actually using this lounge club world perhaps? Don't get too excited yet still being put in Speedbird

Thanks for your email.

I've spoken with our colleagues at Gatwick airport, who've advised they're introducing a soft launch.

Unfortunately all passengers travelling in Club Europe will continue to use the Speedbird lounge for the time being.

I'm sorry to disappoint you on this occasion.
Kind regards

Rachael
British Airways
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:37 am

Been told the club lounge has been shut due to issues with the toilets
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That was a successful 'soft opening'. I hope someone is 'flushed' with embarrassment
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by T8191
That was a successful 'soft opening'. I hope someone is 'flushed' with embarrassment
*groan*

Yep, looks like someone has been caught with their pants down
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:50 am

Just for the record, I am not responsible for any malfunctioning toilets.

Here are a few more photos of the lounge from earlier by the way. There is a kids' area but this seems very small to me, especially for school holiday peaks. The football table will be popular with older kids but there's not really anything for toddlers.

Forgot to mention that the views of the runway and apron are great, as with the F lounge.
Attached Images     
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again. I 'like' the workbench, where people with their heads down on laptops have the best view that they won't see, whilst denying others that pleasure. Perhaps I could stand behind them, and take photos of the airfield, while they're typing?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Looks quite nice! I hope they formally open it soon...
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Wait, where is the Baileys? That's one of the few things I ever consume in the lounge
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Wait, where is the Baileys? That's one of the few things I ever consume in the lounge
Yes there is Baileys in both lounges.

Essentially it's similar spirits in both, Johnny Blue in First, Red in Club.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes there is Baileys in both lounges.

Essentially it's similar spirits in both, Johnny Blue in First, Red in Club.
...then I don't have anymore complaints (did not see it on the picture in one of the previous posts).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Perhaps I could stand behind them, and take photos of the airfield, while they're typing?
Jot down some registration numbers in your notebook?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Jot down some registration numbers in your notebook?
I did that in the 1950s, on the roof of Queen's Building, and then grew out of it. I never got the full BEA Viscount set either, which probably (mercifully) prevented me from becoming a complete 'anorak'
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Looks to me that this is a complete volte face on BA's part.

Reduced F lounge size with limited hours now replaced with an F lounge on a par with LHR T5 or T3. The Club lounge actually looks like an improvement on the LHR equivalents with the same food and beverage offerings.

I am not sure of the sizes of these lounges. There has been a comment that the new F lounge is larger than the old F lounge on closure. I imagine it is at least the size of the old pre-contraction F lounge. The old Club lounge used to be on two floors too, but I am unclear whether the new one is of comparable size.

One thing I would say is clear is that this represents a very firm commitment by BA to LGW and to the continuation of premium cabins, both long and short haul. I say this as otherwise why have an F lounge and why have such a large Club lounge, if the only users would be status passengers on one-class shorthaul.

Indeed I would suggest that the new capacity is greater than current flights merit. Whether BA have immediate plans for route expansion, the additional lounge capacity would certainly allow significant route growth, particularly long haul, where bar the lack of a CCR, the playing field for ground products between LHR and LGW has been dramatically levelled. In fact, given the normally swift Premium Gatwick security and the noted friendliness and efficiency of BA's LGW staff, provided the location is not inconvenient, then LGW probably has some advantages over LHR now.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... and rose petals will be scattered in our path

No, but seriously, I fully accept this represents a committment to LGW by BA. Whether that's to create a competititive envoronment against other carriers, or just a necessary response to "Please move out or North to allow EasyJet to expand" is an interesting question. But it seems they (BA) have made an effort to create a decent Lounge environment, for which I give them due credit.

There is substantial CE/CW/F traffic through LGW, both long- and short-haul. Those pax deserved, and still do, decent Lounge facilities to match (or, in these days, exceed) the airborne offer.

We all wait with interest to see how the 'soft' aspects match up to BA's significant investment in the 'hard' product ... and I hope the Club Lounge plumbing is fixed rapidly ... not for your safety but for your comfort!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

I have to admit that after the fiasco of the north terminal temporary arrangements and then the failed opening on 'move day' I had feared the worst.

However the pictures of the Club lounge look great and I think I prefer the overall look/ amount of space to the photos I've seen of the F lounge.

Thankfully some positive BA news and I'm looking forward to trying them both out on some upcoming trips over the next few months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.