Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Open 05:15 to 20:00 hrs daily, for Gold/Emerald and First passengers, plus guest, usual oneworld rules apply.

Buffet from 05:15, menu food from 7am

For the Gatwick South BA User Guide, click here.
Details on the Club lounge can be found here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ub-lounge.html

Review: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ub-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

London Gatwick South: First Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by cuspidor
It's time access is reviewed on F lounges. They should be for F ticketed passengers only and Golds purchasing a club / first ticket. The reason for the overcrowding is to many having access.

I had the joy of sitting next to a another Gold yesterday on a LGW flight in economy who bragged he had bought a hand baggage only fare, then from his bag took out cans of drinks/ crisps and even sandwiches he had taken from the F lounge
The long-term solution is not to restrict access, but to increase the capacity. Ideally, the capacity should be 30-40% higher than the expected passenger flow, so guests don't have a feeling that the lounge (especially if we are talking about F lounge) is packed.

Look at CX F lounges at HKIA, it would be very unusual to see The Pier at more than 50% of the capacity (excluding IRROPS and peak dates) and even at the (much busier) Wing you still can find a seat in the bar/restaurant areas without having to share a table with a stranger. So rather than complaining about having too many Golds like BA, they just match the capacity with expected pax flow (and it's much harder to predict the numbers with 11 airlines operating at the airport).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cuspidor
It's time access is reviewed on F lounges. They should be for F ticketed passengers only and Golds purchasing a club / first ticket. The reason for the overcrowding is to many having access.
You are assuming that the lounge would be exactly the same if it were limited to F & CW-traveling GCHs only. This sounds to me an improbable proposition. If BA expected a lower footfall, I think that there would be a likelihood of 90% of the lounge being diminutively-sized.

Calling for beggar-thy-neighbour policies in the hope that it will result in a better outcome seems to me rather short-sighted.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:20 am

In the new F lounge now, must say I'm slightly underwhelmed.

It does a bit cluttered with chairs filling almost every inch.

However, it might seem nothing to others but one thing thay makes it quite unpleasant for me is that the volume on all the wall TVs are all on.

Right now, I can hear the noise from 2 different channels. Others may not might but I can't recall this kind of experience any where else. It's really distracting and not at all conducive to a calm and relaxing atmosphere.

Others may not mind but I do.

On the positive side, great view of the runway :-)

Right, off to try the food and then put the old headphones on to drown out the noise
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:34 am

Just overheard a member of staff saying the F Lounge will normally be closing at 6pm (just like the old one for the last year or so).

Ah well, I'm just coming to the end of my one (and last) year as Gold. I have no more Gatwick flights before I drop back to Silver at the end of this month so this is it for me.

Given the pics and comments on the other thread about about the new Club lounge, I don't think I'll be too bothered. Looks a bit better than in here to be honest :-)
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by crazyegg

However, it might seem nothing to others but one thing thay makes it quite unpleasant for me is that the volume on all the wall TVs are all on.

Right now, I can hear the noise from 2 different channels. Others may not might but I can't recall this kind of experience any where else. It's really distracting and not at all conducive to a calm and relaxing atmosphere.

Right, off to try the food and then put the old headphones on to drown out the noise
Just overheard a member of staff saying the F Lounge will normally be closing at 6pm (just like the old one for the last year or so).

Ah well, I'm just coming to the end of my one (and last) year as Gold. I have no more Gatwick flights before I drop back to Silver at the end of this month so this is it for me.

Given the pics and comments on the other thread about about the new Club lounge, I don't think I'll be too bothered. Looks a bit better than in here to be honest :-)
If the noise of the TVs is troublesome I would suggest you raise this with the staff. They may not have noticed and it is this type of feedback that will prove useful - especially in a soft opening phrase.

Itbus my understanding that the old Flounge closed at 3pmso closing at six would be an improvement, although think it would be better if it was open the same hours as the club lounge, although wonder what the demand would be?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The North Terminal Flounge did close at 3pm.

I was turfed out when waiting for a MLA flight in 2015. Actually, it was about the time to leave for my flight so not a major issue, but the fact it was closing so early annoyed me.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
YEs the first lounge timings changed to co-incide with the Last flight out that had a First cabin- Bermuda
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A shame about the later JER flights for Golds, but not the end of the world.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
However, it might seem nothing to others but one thing thay makes it quite unpleasant for me is that the volume on all the wall TVs are all on..... It's really distracting and not at all conducive to a calm and relaxing atmosphere.
This isn't normal and the volume would be turned down if you point this out. I certainly hope that BA lounges never turn into the TV obsessed areas that AA lounges are.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by T8191
A shame about the later JER flights for Golds, but not the end of the world.
And the late EDI departure too. But the J lounge looks good enough.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Go and turn them down. Have done it myself in the CCR, the remote is usually teatherd to the TV.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings from Flounge LGW South. Normally the First lounge will close at 19.00 hours, but as I will explain later, that's not the problem it was at North. It did close today at 18.00 hrs, for unrelated reasons but TyneTraveller and I have used our residual reserves of charm to get in.

First is excellent, Club is amazing!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Greetings from Flounge LGW South. Normally the First lounge will close at 19.00 hours, but as I will explain later, that's not the problem it was at North. It did close today at 18.00 hrs, for unrelated reasons but TyneTraveller and I have used our residual reserves of charm to get in.

Ooh good, it's staying open long enough for the later VCE flight
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Customer Convenience ... whatever next? Is this the BA we have denigrated for the last couple of years?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:11 pm

Opening??

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Hi

BA informed me via email it will be Speedbird until next weekend at least?

Many ideas why?

many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.