Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail: Skipping the last leg to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Mail: Skipping the last leg to save money

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I started this thread in good faith, because I felt the article would be relevant, and could potentially draw BA's attention to the matter.

Could my fellow FTers please stick to the topic, and stop the DM bashing - the OMNI is around for that.

M
I don't think anyone is questioning that you were absolutely right to point out to this article!

And whether 'DM bashing' or not, I'd argue that my point that the DM is being very silly in presenting this as a 'genius trick' without pointing it out to people that there will be no protection between the positioning itinerary and the ex-third-country long haul itinerary is very much on topic.

We regularly have people confused about that on FT, which is a typically far more informed community than average so there is much reason to think that many in the wider population will have no clue about the fact that you do not have the same right when you buy two separate tickets as opposed to a single through itinerary. I maintain that it is pretty incompetent (or if it is not incompetence, then irresponsible) for the Daily Mail not to emphatically make this warning if it is pretending to give 'genius' tricks to its readers as to how to save money.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
I started this thread in good faith, because I felt the article would be relevant, and could potentially draw BA's attention to the matter.

Could my fellow FTers please stick to the topic, and stop the DM bashing - the OMNI is around for that.

M
the source, the DM is relevant to the thread. though perhaps the idea will just be seen as (yet) another 'alternative fact' from them.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Would it be cynical to wonder how this article came to be commissioned? Was this the DM off their own bat or did someone at BA plant the seeds?

Also, if your intent is to get press coverage that you then react to, you probably don't want to highlight how flying ex-EU (and taking all the sectors) is a fantastic deal, so give an awful example.

If the purpose of the article is to give a reason for a crack down without encouraging the masses to book their next LH flight ex-EU, then it has served its purpose.

Who pray would have that as an objective?
Almost certainly the blogger (who is US based so has no skin in the game if it leads to a clampdown) pitching it to the Mail for personal PR.

Ironically - and remember I had a full page profile in the printed version of the Mail in November - it doesn't drive traffic, wrong audience. I've not had a single email since November which said 'I came across you after the Mail profile and .....'
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by layz
Some do, some don't. Taking the last leg gets you more Avios and TP plus is the safe option. I've done ex-DUB before but decided to make the most and spend a bit of time in Dublin each end of the trip.
And how else would you get from LHR to LCY?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
And how else would you get from LHR to LCY?
Love it !
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The fact this matter has now been brought to the attention of the general public, is the main reason I started the thread.

M
I remember watching a consumer programme on BBC1 around 25 years ago where their 'money saving expert' went on a ex EU to show the viewers how you could save ŁŁŁŁ flying business class so it's been well aired even before Flyertalk started.

Must admit at the time I thought it was something only a lunatic would do...how wrong could I be.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Daily Mail. Nuff said
Yes, I am proud to be a reader of it.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Feb 2, 2017 at 8:48 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Nuff Said
Yes, I am proud to be a reader of it.
My wife wasn't best pleased when her photo appeared in it, especially as I'd never told her I'd given one to them :-)
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:24 am

could potentially draw BA's attention to the matter.
This is being mentioned a lot, but I find it difficult to digest.

BA are obviously already aware of this phenomenon. They set the fares. They choose to compete with Norwegian/AF/KL/LX/LH etc. And they are, of course, fully aware of hidden city ticketing.

The benefit of competing with those carriers far, far outweighs the revenue lost by the (relatively) small number of people who choose to start their journey in another country. Not to mention the revenue gained when people miss a leg and need to reprice their ticket, or buy a new ticket at the last minute.

This DM article is not going to change any of the above.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:24 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I don't think the article did a very good job of explaining the method and the risks.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Trying to explain the benefits of ex-EU J fares to my friends is difficult enough.

An article in a national newspaper using a WTP example with a very small margin of benefit has got the exact reaction I expected!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Oh gawd. It's in the (online) metro as well: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/02/secret...ravel-6423371/

Anyone know if it was in the print version?

Their description of the example is even worse than DM although they do highlight the risks more.

And the last paragraph is genius:

The website, Skiplagged, was sued by United Airlines and Orbitz, the travel company.
Eventually Orbitz settled out of court, but not before Zaman blocked Orbitz’s IP addresses which tricked their lawyers into thinking he had taken down the website.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:48 am
Suspended

Superbly badly written that will encourage many to have a go and get it totally wrong.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by richardwft
Superbly badly written that will encourage many to have a go and get it totally wrong.
And given the reference to FT in the DM article, it will cause an influx of newbies, filling this forum with questions like "If I book an OTP - LHR - JFK itinerary, can I just get on at Heathrow?"
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Oh gawd. It's in the (online) metro as well: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/02/secret...ravel-6423371/
This one is even worse because it doesn't mention that ex-ARN is Premium Economy. It looks like you will save Ł50 by flying from ARN and that's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.