Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail: Skipping the last leg to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Mail: Skipping the last leg to save money

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
hahaha just saw this on my facebook home page!
Attached Images  
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
This is going give a strong incentive to BA to clamp down further on this; between the likely scale of DM readers trying it on (rather than just some of Flyertalk) and Cruz' determination to let no revenue opportunity go unexploited, I anticipate much more aggressive efforts by BA to prevent this in future. This will undoubtedly snare some travellers with a more sound reason for missing the final flight than fully intending to no-show the last segment and go home just to pay less.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:50 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Oooh, msm2000uk has outed himself as a reader of the DM.

Unless you actually need to visit the European origin and/or need some TPs, I really think premium economy is not worth wasting an extra 6 hours of your life for, might as well just slum it in Y and rest at the destination.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Daily Mail. Nuff said
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by :D!

Unless you actually need to visit the European origin and/or need some TPs, I really think premium economy is not worth wasting an extra 6 hours of your life for, might as well just slum it in Y and rest at the destination.
Not best placed myself to judge any differential in comfort or otherwise .... but my understanding from some comments, here & there, is that WT+ can be genuinely worthwhile (on some sectors) over and above WT ..... .. ??
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
Not best placed myself to judge any differential in comfort or otherwise .... but my understanding from some comments, here & there, is that WT+ can be genuinely worthwhile (on some sectors) over and above WT ..... .. ??
I prefer it over Y. For a day flight to the east coast when you have a bit of work to get on with it's pretty good.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:16 pm

Thanks Calchas - I have relatives, with property in Florida, who could afford J (and indeed F) far more easily than I can. But they choose to go in WT + for their twice-yearly trips there, and seem pretty happy with it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by flatlander
This is going give a strong incentive to BA to clamp down further on this; between the likely scale of DM readers trying it on (rather than just some of Flyertalk) and Cruz' determination to let no revenue opportunity go unexploited, I anticipate much more aggressive efforts by BA to prevent this in future. This will undoubtedly snare some travellers with a more sound reason for missing the final flight than fully intending to no-show the last segment and go home just to pay less.
Would it be cynical to wonder how this article came to be commissioned? Was this the DM off their own bat or did someone at BA plant the seeds?

Also, if your intent is to get press coverage that you then react to, you probably don't want to highlight how flying ex-EU (and taking all the sectors) is a fantastic deal, so give an awful example.

If the purpose of the article is to give a reason for a crack down without encouraging the masses to book their next LH flight ex-EU, then it has served its purpose.

Who pray would have that as an objective?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:31 pm

I don't know how this article relates to the FT practice since I've been assured that people here take the last leg of the flight and then fly the return portion of their positioning flight itinerary.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't know how this article relates to the FT practice since I've been assured that people here take the last leg of the flight and then fly the return portion of their positioning flight itinerary.
Some do, some don't. Taking the last leg gets you more Avios and TP plus is the safe option. I've done ex-DUB before but decided to make the most and spend a bit of time in Dublin each end of the trip.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Daily Mail readers don't typically like Europe or Europeans, so I can't see too many of them starting a journey there.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Daily Mail readers don't typically like Europe or Europeans, so I can't see too many of them starting a journey there.
^ On the other hand they tend to like flight bans so maybe some countries will think of disallowing them!

Just kidding. I personally doubt that third country departures will ever become popular with the general public. Also, the silly paper should have also warned them of the risk of missed departure. All great to buy that Ł29 Monarch positioning flight but I can imagine some wannabe travel 'geniuses' (no limit to ridicule really) in for massive expenses when their flight is cancelled or delayed and they lose their long haul entirely.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing wrong with being a wannabe travel genius ... just should be aware it can be an expensive hobby.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Think you might be on dodgy ground with that one.

Nice stereotypical throwaway quip though !
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I agree the Comments section makes for interesting reading, but please don't turn this thread into a DM Bash Thread.

The fact this matter has now been brought to the attention of the general public, is the main reason I started the thread.

M
I started this thread in good faith, because I felt the article would be relevant, and could potentially draw BA's attention to the matter.

Could my fellow FTers please stick to the topic, and stop the DM bashing - the OMNI is around for that.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.