Awkward F encounters

Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:08 am

If I were told in advance that this was going to be the situation I would much rather get on last than endure this. Way over my own personal awkwardness threshold! I like a premium cabin to feel like a sanctuary, not some sort of judgement enclosure.

Don't often say this to F passengers but... poor you!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
Originally Posted by Joe Barton Holme
If I were told in advance that this was going to be the situation I would much rather get on last than endure this. Way over my own personal awkwardness threshold! I like a premium cabin to feel like a sanctuary, not some sort of judgement enclosure.

Don't often say this to F passengers but... poor you!
I'm glad to hear that it's not just me
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
As a rule, where possible we avoid general boarding through the First cabin. There are some situations where this can't be avoided, such as gates where jetties can only be positioned on certain doors on an aircraft type, broken jetty, etc. In T4, we had this on what from memory was gate 25 on the victor pier where we always had to use door 1, which meant that 777s always had customers boarding through First.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Seen boarding through the Club cabin, which isn't quite so extreme in that sense, I can guess Club doesn't look that impressive.

I have seen the children stop and go "DADDY IS THIS OUR SEAT?" at the seat across the aisle...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by davrossuk
As it was our first visit to The Big Apple, I'm not sure how BA usually manage boarding there (perhaps there was a technical/logistical reason) but it made me feel quite awkward, sitting there in a spacious seat drinking champagne while people that were about to spent 7 hours cramped down the back walked past staring at us, with at least two mutterings of "Lucky gits" to be heard.
Only awkward when you have been upgraded and your Group CEO has not...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:26 pm

In this instance I would have held my champagne in one hand while using the other to squeeze my nose and say "PU" as the coach passengers passed by.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Coming back from HKG on the A380 in November we were advised at the gate that only 2 jetties were working so pax would be walking through the first cabin ( I was in 1k) and given the option of boarding first or last by the gate agents.

It did not bother me too much once I was in the seat.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
In this instance I would have held my champagne in one hand while using the other to squeeze my nose and say "PU" as the coach passengers passed by.
Very much not my style but this made me laugh
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:15 pm

I've been in the front, I've been in the back. Just enjoy your drink and stop being so sensitive.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I read an article the other day that detailed the results of an interesting study, which cane be summarized as follows - aircraft with an F cabin have more incidents of air rage than an all-coach configured aircraft, and aircraft with an F cabin that separates F and Y passengers during so that the "unwashed masses" don't see what they are missing have fewer incidents of air rage than those that force all passengers to walk through the F cabin to reach their slimlined narrow Y seats.

I guess class envy is alive and well.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
I know the feeling you're talking about, but just sit read your emails, text or talk to your companion. When I am riding in 'less than,' it's usually because all seats were booked in F or because it's an ongoing flight and for some reason, couldn't book F for that part. I DO wish I were sitting up there as I board, but it has nothing to do with who is sitting there.
Just relax, as the others have said, and don't worry about it, regardless of how you got to F, or how often you do. Haters will hate, no matter.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Dambus
Only awkward when you have been upgraded and your Group CEO has not...
Our CEO travels F. Not happened yet with my boss who is a VP and does not travel in business F unless flight is >6 hours when I do also. I have been higher on the UG list than my boss but neither of us got the UG.

I am not an envious type so it does not get me envious or otherwise seeing other people in F. I can get a little embarrassed.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Relax. Just because people may comment in passing that you're lucky, or they wish they were sitting up front, it doesn't mean they are judging you personally or wishing you ill will. Just have another sip of your champagne!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:54 pm

I've this a handful of times at JFK on the 777 and never anywhere else. Bizarrely it's also the only route i've consistently been able to convince the crew to give me wine before take off instead of champagne (after dinner in the CCR i usually prefer a couple of glasses of bordeaux then bed than more champagne).

The last i time it happened I was in 1a as the rest of the plane boarded past me and the crew had left the bottle of red on my side table for me to help myself which made for even weirder looks than usual. Most awkward i've ever felt on a plane!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've had this happen on LHR-DFW on a 777. There were two jetways connected, but neither were signposted and there was nobody directing passengers, so most went into the first one. The crew seemed a bit surprised to see so many people arriving by that door.

A bit awkward, I agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.