Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX 2-4-1 skipping inbound

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

AMEX 2-4-1 skipping inbound

Hi all

So as the thread title says. Using a AMEX 241 + GUF2 to fly F next week to North America.

Outbound we'll both be on the flight. Inbound to LHR though I may need to skip it and stay in the the USA (and it's all booked on my account).

Is it simply as one passenger doesn't shows up at the gate or is 'sick' ?

Any insights into this?

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:02 am

Well theoretically your 'guest' shouldn't be allowed to fly back without you.

In practical terms, I can't really see how they would pick it up in time to do anything about it. But it is against the t&cs.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Risky I would have said. From the T&Cs:

'The Cardmember and their Companions must travel together at all times therefore must be booked onto the same flight and cabin class when travelling using a Companion Voucher.'
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd say not risky at all. You can check in at different times etc, there is absolutely no way this can be enforced when you're boarding the plane.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mec72
I'd say not risky at all. You can check in at different times etc, there is absolutely no way this can be enforced when you're boarding the plane.
What about afterwards?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
What about afterwards?
Not sure what can be done afterwards? Can BA prove it sustained any loss? I doubt that.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Well it's a clear breach of the T&Cs. Could BA take action afterwards? Possibly. An account audit/removal of Avios and/or tier points would all seem a possible consequence.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by mec72
Not sure what can be done afterwards? Can BA prove it sustained any loss? I doubt that.
You broke the explicit terms and conditions, why does BA have to prove the level of loss?

My point is, yes you may be right and nothing will actually happen in terms of denied boarding. However, it is clear that this is against the terms of the companion voucher, and BAEC can take any of the actions set out in the terms of conditions - we have no idea whether they would and if so what they would do.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You broke the explicit terms and conditions, why does BA have to prove the level of loss?
I think this is a somewhat academic discussion. Yes, it's a breach of T&Cs - as it is in the case of dropping the last leg on ex-EU tickets (where the consensus on this forum seems to be that if it happens once or twice, you have nothing to worry about - if you make a habit out of it, it may become an issue). There at least BA can argue that without the last leg it would've repriced the ticket. Here, it's a different situation - you use miles for one pax plus pay taxes/YQ for two pax, but one of them doesn't fly. Do people really habitually book 2-4-1s just to waste the return portion? That wouldn't make sense - if it happens, I'd think it's because of unforeseen circumstances rather than trying to game the system.

Last edited by mec72; Feb 1, 2017 at 8:09 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:13 am

Academic perhaps. However, I think advising that it is "not risky at all" is a bit irresponsible since frankly we have no idea whether BA care and whether they would do anything.

Comparisons to dropping the last leg of an exEU are not relevant, that is a whole different quagmire which I am not suggesting we get in to here.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
I can't imagine this being enforced in practice. And would be comfortable with it
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
The sensible reading of the T&C is that when you use a 2-4-1 voucher, you are expected to travel on the same flights as in you can't book flight 123 for your friend and 234 for yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about this one but it is clearly against the T&C to not travel on the same flights so one can't be 100% sure.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:22 am

So here's a thought... is it possible to call and split the booking into two one ways?

Then use the voucher for the outbound, and cancel one seat on the inbound. By my reckoning, that's the same number of Avios as the OP has spent and everything's tidy.

Or is this just not possible?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
So here's a thought... is it possible to call and split the booking into two one ways?

Then use the voucher for the outbound, and cancel one seat on the inbound. By my reckoning, that's the same number of Avios as the OP has spent and everything's tidy.

Or is this just not possible?
I think (NB: Not 100% sure), that you would need to use two vouchers then, rather than one... Similar to applying a GUF... can be used to upgrade one way or two ways, depending on availability, but cannot be used for two separate bookings on two PNRs.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:58 am

But that's the point. It doesn't need two vouchers. It'd only be used on the outbound. The inbound becomes a non-241 booking for one person using just the Avios already shelled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.