Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Focus - London Gatwick (LGW) South: Temporary BA Lounge

Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is relates to the temporary lounge facilities for LGW South. At the time of writing there are three lounges open, the two permanent lounges for First and Club, linked immediately below, and the temporary Speedbird lounge, which is handled in this thread. The Clubrooms facility referenced below has now ended.

Details on the new BA First Lounge can be found here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-february.html

Details on the new BA Club Lounge can be found here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ub-lounge.html

Temporary access directions for the new lounge can be found by clicking here.
Print Wikipost

Lounge Focus - London Gatwick (LGW) South: Temporary BA Lounge

Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Thanks for report and photos CWS.

One point that does puzzle me a little : in the second image of the thread, the signage board indicates that Gold members should proceed forward ; but Gold members are then also shown (together with Silver) within the list of categories directed to the right.

Perhaps it's me being thick and I'm misunderstanding some distinction here. Are there some flight scenarios in which as Gold one would go straight, but others where Golds should go to the right ....
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by subject2load
One point that does puzzle me a little : in the second image of the thread, the signage board indicates that Gold members should proceed forward ; but Gold members are then also shown (together with Silver) within the list of categories directed to the right.

Perhaps it's me being thick and I'm misunderstanding some distinction here. Are there some flight scenarios in which as Gold one would go straight, but others where Golds should go to the right ....
Don't Golds have split personalities?

More seriously, I suspect that it just identifies that Golds have a choice.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well my next LGW flight is next Wednesday, so I'm quite happy if BA want to finish polishing everything right through the weekend.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Let's see who's correct
From an article in Business Traveller

In a statement today British Airways said

“We are giving our customers a warm welcome to their world-class new home at South Terminal, with a stunning new check-in area, using the very latest technology to offer the smoothest-possible experience.

We are offering our premium customers alternative lounge accommodation while the finishing touches are made to our world-class new lounge.

We know our customers have high standards, and we want to make sure the experience is 100 per cent ready for them. We know they will enjoy the sweeping views across the runway, 40 per cent larger space and dedicated area for our First and Gold customers, and when our new lounge opens in the next few days.”

So a statement from BA saying next few days!! Fingers crossed!!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Neilgcal

So a statement from BA saying next few days!! Fingers crossed!!
Indeed !

By all accounts, the new lounge really is ready, and its opening will only be delayed by a matter of days whilst the remaining loose ends /procedural formalities are sorted. AND it will - hopefully - be worth the wait.

Although ....as per the precise timing of any BA improvement/innovation, I always think it best to adopt the mantra of we will see it when we see it. It's quite possible - given all the other aspects involved in this major move - that the ongoing delay is (partly ...?) outside BA's own control.

BA do have a track record of keeping us waiting for promised improvements ; but are seemingly more efficient when removing or downgrading services & facilities. BoB was launched bang on schedule, surprise surprise ; albeit with somewhat less-than-impressive delivery, service-wise.

Puts one in mind of the fuel retailers who are extremely adept at translating wholesale price hikes into increased pump prices ; but mysteriously slower at passing on reductions .......
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Due to poorish eyesight and/or poor computer, I am not quite able to make out the paid for champagne prices?

Can someone with better eyes/computer assist please?

Thanks to corporate-wage-slave for the detailed 'hot off the press' coverage!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:47 am

The lounge failed its safety test, according to Raffles: http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/01...e-safety-test/
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
The lounge failed its safety test, according to Raffles: http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/01...e-safety-test/
That report also mentions people being turned away due to queues. As we saw with previous interim arrangements
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
He also describes it as a farce, which all things considered is a bit over the top! I think c-w-s has done a much better review, more details, more level headed.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Avoiding hyperbole, and not knowing the exact details of why it failed, could we just say it's very disappointing?

The juxtaposition with the BoB failure issues just compounds the disappointment, as they are inevitably linked for some passengers (sorry, customers) wanting something to eat.

I'm hopeful things will be better-ish in time for our next encounter in March.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Avoiding hyperbole, and not knowing the exact details of why it failed, could we just say it's very disappointing?

(my bold)

I do believe you've just said exactly that
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
None of the signs mention anything about non BA Sapphire/Emerald members. Did they forget about us, or was it deliberate?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My understanding, as hinted in post 1, is that they didn't complete the electrical testing (mandatory for this sort of enterprise involving the public) due to too many loose ends (metaphorical sense) rather than it actually failed. Probably just a nuance in the circumstances: if they had done the test it would have probably failed.

I also did see some queuing for the No. 1 Clubrooms. There was actually space freeing up every few minutes, but there was a timelag. Where Raffles was sitting there is a round seating and table combination, which could sit 8, but after 4 people around it, no-one else was going to shift round to create space. It's not that well designed actually. Passengers were given the choice of waiting (most did) or using Speedbird. I noticed managers watching the Information Boards to see when RAK was leaving since that was a gilt edged flight. It's possible there were Priority Pass people, though it's difficult to overstate how BA the terminal is, there were very few other flights there this morning.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I've actually just realised this current situation is much better for a silver travelling on CE, since when the regular lounges do open I very much doubt we'll be getting eggs benedict and champagne
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
None of the signs mention anything about non BA Sapphire/Emerald members. Did they forget about us, or was it deliberate?
Some of the signs had the oneworld colour spot, but that is a bit obscure. An oversight, but I imagine non BAEC cardholders are very thin on the ground at LGW, it's not much of a connecting airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.