Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Focus - London Gatwick (LGW) South: Temporary BA Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is relates to the temporary lounge facilities for LGW South. At the time of writing there are three lounges open, the two permanent lounges for First and Club, linked immediately below, and the temporary Speedbird lounge, which is handled in this thread. The Clubrooms facility referenced below has now ended.

Details on the new BA First Lounge can be found here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-february.html

Details on the new BA Club Lounge can be found here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ub-lounge.html

Temporary access directions for the new lounge can be found by clicking here.
Print Wikipost

Lounge Focus - London Gatwick (LGW) South: Temporary BA Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:24 am

Whilst disappointing, could a factor be that the new BA lounge is a new build project, whereas Virgin merely took over the old BA lounge in the North and refurbished it.

I believe the BA lounge is largely ready but it is an electrical/fire alarm certification issue, due to it being a new space. Anyone with knowledge of the new Berlin airport will understand that these factors can delay opening!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by evanderm
I'm a bit confused as to my eligibility now. As a SCH travelling to BDA will I be given access to Clubrooms, or do I have to go to the Speedbird Lounge?
You can use either, the presumption being that you will want to go to Clubrooms.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:30 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I would think these things have been known for a few weeks and this was not a surprise yesterday.
Indeed. As I highlighted in a separate thread earlier this week, BA check-in staff at Gatwick mentioned to me last week that the new lounges may not be ready for the move this week. It seems they were right!

Since they knew there was an issue last week, it suggests to me that it is not a simple quick fix item that needs to be addressed. My guess would be that it may be weeks rather than days before the permanent lounge facilities are available.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: Executive Club
Thanks corporate-wage-slave

My main reason for posting was to balance up the experience this morning in the South terminal, because from the Clubroom prospective there is no negative feedback warranted.

Just BA's typical lack of serious interest in their passengers regardless what they say!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
It is pretty disappointing that this cannot be got right for a major event like this after such a long time in the planning, and I can't see any reference to it on BA.com (my next BA LGW booking is a couple of months away, so can't read much into the fact that there is nothing in MMB). Agree that the level of organisation for the alternative arrangements would suggest they've been aware for a while that they wouldn't make it.

However, the alternative arrangements don't look too bad (echo the appreciation of the work of CWS and andrewkeith5), and I would imagine BA's big concern will be flights departing/arriving on time with no more bags than usual going missing. Their nightmare scenario would be queues out the door and crowds of people sitting on the terminal floor talking to TV reporters. I'd agree that they will probably consider what's happening a success, despite the lounge fail.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks for all the excellent info CWS.

Are you or anyone else using the new Speedbird Lounge for Club passengers able to advise what the food offering is for the rest of the day after breakfast is cleared?

Will there be hot food 12-3 and 6-close or will it just be sandwiches and cakes all day?

I have a 7 hour layover on 25Feb and was looking forward to the large new lounge so a little wary this may not be an overly pleasant experience now!

Also how's the seating looking? Mega crowded all day with lack of seats or is it not so bad?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Originally Posted by gms
Indeed. As I highlighted in a separate thread earlier this week, BA check-in staff at Gatwick mentioned to me last week that the new lounges may not be ready for the move this week. It seems they were right!

Since they knew there was an issue last week, it suggests to me that it is not a simple quick fix item that needs to be addressed. My guess would be that it may be weeks rather than days before the permanent lounge facilities are available.
Totally agreee, and if you look at the trouble they have gone to with the signage and the helppoint etc, and the use of the old VS clubhouse. This was not exaclty knocked up last night, they have known for ages. And can't be bothered to communicate to their customers, let alone care. The lounge will open by the start of the summer schedule, not a few days.

And the C word, bet thats gone for good in GC .
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Lgwfan
And the C word, bet thats gone for good in GC .
That would kill BAEC for Mrs Gaxxy. She's pretty close right now.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
That would kill BAEC for Mrs Gaxxy. She's pretty close right now.
Wouldn't it depend on whether the prosecco is worse than the champagne? I've not been to GC for ages and never tend to ask for any in outstations but I can imagine the champagne on demand in GC has been enhanced to the cheapest available.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:06 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
The lounge will open by the start of the summer schedule, not a few days.
I didn't want to sound too pessimistic in my post, but had contemplated saying "months or weeks rather than days". I certainly think anyone hoping to see the new BA lounge in the coming weeks is likely to be disappointed!

Although having had my first LGW South Clubrooms experience last week ... when I received my SMS questionnaire from BA I commented that "it was disappointing to see that BA didn't have a branded lounge available, but nice that the Clubrooms food and drink was better quality than what BA usually offer frequent fliers"
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by layz
( Is there anyway round this at NCL?)
No whatsoever I'm affraid now the last years search area and airside terminal developments are finished.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for all the kind words. I am sorry that the previous assurances that I passed on didn't quite work out: as with everything else here really, since I don't work for BA....

I did ask, let us say, someone senior in BA when the lounge was being ready. He was willing to be quoted with anything more than "soon", the subtext, if I may interpret, was "I'd really like to say (e.g.) Saturday but I dare not make a false promise here that's going to end up on BA FT". I did try to push him to "within the next month?" and he rapidly said: "oh well before then". So I think a week or so, even though the amount of work needed sounds fairly trivial. Trivial, but still important in terms of safe operations.

It sounds like we spoke to the same person (J?! Not sure if I should mention his name in a public forum out of respect). I asked similar questions and received very similar word for word response. He would be surprised if its not open on Saturday when he's next back on shift.

The temp lounge "Speedbird" is pretty decent enough for now. There is lots of hugely positive words from staff here at LGW with regards to the new lounge and they are certainly setting high expectations. Could we be possibly looking at the best lounge in EU!!! (these are my words!!)

I'll post some pics in the meantime for anyone visiting in the next 48 hours (once the wifi works!...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Could we be possibly looking at the best lounge in EU!!! (these are my words!!)
That honour goes to NCL
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The lounge will open by the start of the summer schedule, not a few days.
Originally Posted by gms
I certainly think anyone hoping to see the new BA lounge in the coming weeks is likely to be disappointed!
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
It sounds like we spoke to the same person (J?! Not sure if I should mention his name in a public forum out of respect). I asked similar questions and received very similar word for word response. He would be surprised if its not open on Saturday when he's next back on shift.
Let's see who's correct
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Let's see who's correct
I know who I've got my money on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.