Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is a user guide to the new British Airways LGW (London Gatwick) South Terminal. Operations for BA's service in LGW transferred on 25 January 2017 from the North terminal. The purpose of this guide is to assist passengers in locating the services and facilities in LGW South. Background to the move here: BA move to LGW South Terminal
Gatwick to Heathrow transfer guide
BA Lounge First guide: click here. BA Lounge Club guide: click here.
Print Wikipost

Gatwick (LGW) South Terminal - user guide for BA travellers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by argonath
Flying Club Europe/Club World to Barbados from GLA via LGW and back, does this give you Fast Track Security through when connecting ?
Yes, all Club World and Club Europe passengers can use Premium Gatwick. In your case you will have to exit landside after arriving in LGW anyway, just go the short distance to main security and Premium Gatwick is on the left side. My preferred but unsigned route is to bear rightwards at Boots, and then take the lifts by the toilets intended for Bloc Hotel, but get off at the Departure Gate floor, and you're right by Premium Gatwick.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, all Club World and Club Europe passengers can use Premium Gatwick. In your case you will have to exit landside after arriving in LGW anyway, just go the short distance to main security and Premium Gatwick is on the left side. My preferred but unsigned route is to bear rightwards at Boots, and then take the lifts by the toilets intended for Bloc Hotel, but get off at the Departure Gate floor, and you're right by Premium Gatwick.
Thanks very much C-W-S this will help maximise time in the lounge :-)
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Apologies for the thread ressurection for a pretty odd question: does anyone know how far in advance of my flight can I pass through security at LGW? I would be taking the AMS flight at 15:45, and probably getting to Gatwick at maybe 9am-ish.

[The genesis of a slightly crazy plan, about which you should probably not ask... :-P]
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
As far as I’m aware as long as you have a valid boarding pass you can enter anytime on day of travel.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:15 am

Previous reports on here suggest 6 hours.

LGW very very early for flight.... [Can't go airside 6+ hours before flight]
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Apologies for the thread ressurection for a pretty odd question: does anyone know how far in advance of my flight can I pass through security at LGW? I would be taking the AMS flight at 15:45, and probably getting to Gatwick at maybe 9am-ish.

[The genesis of a slightly crazy plan, about which you should probably not ask... :-P]
As early as you like on day of travel. I’ve flown into LGW at 8am or so and have camped out in a lounge waiting to board a 19.45 EZY to Alicante (shudder)

The only diabolical things I had to do were a) Ask the lovely lady at Easyjet self check in to lift the restrictions on the luggage drop as you can’t luggage drop more than 2 hours out for short haul. And b) when booking/purchasing the aforementioned lounge access I lied about my departure time so I could be there all day.

But nobody said anything about my flight time at Security. You’ll be fine.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is six hours in South Terminal - simply a data load issue on the automated barriers, but you will probably be allowed in sooner, particularly if you are connecting in. It's easier to talk to someone about this via the Family Channel, to the left of Bloc hotel. When school time is on, they don't seem to mind a few non family people.
T8191 and etiene like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Connection questions to DUB on BA codeshare

HI all, a couple of questions.
We arrive BA CW from Antigua and connecting to Aer Lingus to DUB.
1. I assume BA will have through checked our luggage?
2. When we arrive, do we have to exit into public area and go through security again for our "domestic" connection since I am led to believe there is no flight connections like in LHR?
3. I assume we will still have BA lounge access since we arrive CW (and wife will be BA Gold), even though Aer Lingus only has economy but the flight has a BA number?
Haven't travelled through LGW for a long time, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dselvan
1. I assume BA will have through checked our luggage?
2. When we arrive, do we have to exit into public area and go through security again for our "domestic" connection since I am led to believe there is no flight connections like in LHR?
3. I assume we will still have BA lounge access since we arrive CW (and wife will be BA Gold), even though Aer Lingus only has economy but the flight has a BA number?
1) If it is a single booking from ANU to DUB then yes it will be through checked.
2) Yes, you need to go fully landside at the moment, and then go through normal security at LGW. Just go through the exit channels, when landside continue onwards (slightly rightwards) to Boots, at the back of which by the WC are some lifts that take you to main security. I don't think you will have Fast Track in this scenario but it's usually just as fast with main security. The arrangements are expected to change in a few months - I don't have the precise date, but looking at the building work it doesn't seem too far off. Flight Connection at LGW South is only for international flights, and DUB doesn't count for that.
3) Yes, if Gold you would have lounge access so long as it is a BA issued ticket (125 ticket number) and Sold As a BA flight number.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:19 pm

Thank you C-W-S. Yes it is a single PNR issued by BA with BA numbers on all flights including the AerLingus one.
Not travelling for a few more months, so will monitor situation.
Thanks for your help.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
Apologies, have read through thread but may have missed it- recommendations for a reasonable hotel near south terminal? Have an overnight and usually a Heathrow kind of a girl
Old May 30, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
Apologies, have read through thread but may have missed it- recommendations for a reasonable hotel near south terminal? Have an overnight and usually a Heathrow kind of a girl
The Hilton is built into South, so in easy reach, the other two options being the Bloc hotel and Yotel. The Sofitel and Hampton are built into North, and given the transit doesn't add much to the time needed to get there. There is Premier Inn which is slightly detached, but effectively in the complex and easy enough to walk to. Slightly further out from the Hilton is the Courtyard Marriott, it's walking distance but many people seem to take the £3 shuttle bus. Then there is a vast number of hotels connected by the 24 hour public bus network from LGW. Personally I prefer the Hilton.

Note that there is a cluster of hotels around the rear entrance to East Croydon station, including a Jury's and another Hampton. These places are therefore just a few minutes from South, and can be cost effective even adding in the rail fare.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Then there is a vast number of hotels connected by the 24 hour public bus network from LGW.
Indeed - being a resident of Crawley, there are a plethora of hotels in the town to suit all budgets, and regular buses will get you there easily (around 15 minutes from the South Terminal to the Travelodge in the town itself as an example) and unlike many airport bus routes I have used, no premium fares are charged - £2.50 each way.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA gold
Is this 03:30am open time still current as per quote below from 2017?

You can check-in any time on the day of travel, it's normally 3 hours before but anyone with lounge access can check-in on the day anytime. Check-in opening varies a bit by day of the week and time of the year, but you can use 03:30 as a guide there, though the lounges won't be open at that unGodly hour.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:16 am

1) If it is a single booking from ANU to DUB then yes it will be through checked.
2) Yes, you need to go fully landside at the moment, and then go through normal security at LGW. Just go through the exit channels, when landside continue onwards (slightly rightwards) to Boots, at the back of which by the WC are some lifts that take you to main security. I don't think you will have Fast Track in this scenario but it's usually just as fast with main security. The arrangements are expected to change in a few months - I don't have the precise date, but looking at the building work it doesn't seem too far off. Flight Connection at LGW South is only for international flights, and DUB doesn't count for that.
3) Yes, if Gold you would have lounge access so long as it is a BA issued ticket (125 ticket number) and Sold As a BA flight number.
Hi
Does anyone know if the arrival procedure has recently changed for International to domestic transfer? As mentioned above we arrive international on BA Club World and connecting to Dublin on Aer Lingus. Same ticket and I guess luggage will be through checked from the Carribean all the way to Dublin. Are we still expected to go to land side in Gatwick on arrival after passport and customs and then go through security to airside?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.