Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA "has no record of my upgrade" - reverse charges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA "has no record of my upgrade" - reverse charges?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'd be every bit as frustrated if I'd paid for an AUP and was getting the run-around over the getting the correct Avios and TPs.

But come on: You paid to sit in CW instead of WT+. You sat in CW. You got the CW service. You've even got the Avios and TPs for WT+. Between that, that was the vast bulk of what you'd paid for. Do you really think you're justified in asking for all of your money back just because you didn't the extra Avios and TPs for CW?
He was offered a price up upgrade to CW which entails additional Avios and Tier points. As this was not forthcoming the product sold is not as described and therefore a chargeback is warranted.

It's not as if this customer is trying to get out of paying for his upgrade. He does however have a genuine reason to complain and his complaint seems to have even dealt with in a scandalous manner.

If this was me I don't think I would have been even contemplating going down the route of a CC chargeback, however, after his treatment, especially the false accusation that he was trying it on, I would be going hell for leather to make BA pay. I think he jolly well deserves his upgrade fee refunded in full. BA need to learn some lessons fast and thankfully in this country there is some legislation to protect consumers and might eventually enoucrage BA to learn.

I'd love to see BA trying to defend the chargeback when they have already told the OP it didnt happen.

You could make an hours TV comedy gold each week comprising solely of BA customer service responses.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Of course he's not. But I would think that the award of extra Avios amounts to a warranty to the contract, and if not fulfilled, it would be reasonable to claim the cost of buying those Avios.
I don't even think it's a question of a warranty. There seems to be no doubt that he's entitled to them. He should, I think, focus on getting them.

Not for the first time in relation to someone who seems only ever to have trouble with BA, I wonder if his opinion that he is entitled to all of his money back suggests a frame of mind that somehow communicates itself to the BA people he's dealing with and leads to misunderstanding. I'm sure that he doesn't intend it. But when there are comments back along the lines of "trying it on" or "trying to circumvent the loyalty system", it makes me wonder whether his own message to BA is getting across sufficiently clearly. After all, the usual experience seems to be that either the correct Avios and TP credit, or there is no trouble getting the correct amount credited.

And in this particular case, it's in the context of still not having anything like a clear understanding of what happened and what went wrong for him in a different transaction: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ded-money.html. Interestingly, that also appeared to involve an upgrade, but the OP has not given any details about its role in that problem.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be every bit as frustrated if I'd paid for an AUP and was getting the run-around over the getting the correct Avios and TPs.

But come on: You paid to sit in CW instead of WT+. You sat in CW. You got the CW service. You've even got the Avios and TPs for WT+. Between that, that was the vast bulk of what you'd paid for. Do you really think you're justified in asking for all of your money back just because you didn't the extra Avios and TPs for CW?
If it were me, once they've responded in writing that they have no record of the upgrade and therefore I must be lying, I'd immediately claim a chargeback and would continue to insist on that even if they corrected their Avios error with the inevitable "we're doing this not because we're in error, but simply as an expressing of goodwill." The only thing that has me retracting my chargeback claim is a written admission of their mistake and an apology for calling me dishonest.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by rickg523
If it were me, once they've responded in writing that they have no record of the upgrade and therefore I must be lying, I'd immediately claim a chargeback and would continue to insist on that even if they corrected their Avios error with the inevitable "we're doing this not because we're in error, but simply as an expressing of goodwill." The only thing that has me retracting my chargeback claim is a written admission of their mistake and an apology for calling me dishonest.
Exactly, if BA has no record of you upgrading, make sure your bank statement will also have no record of you upgrading as in, do a chargeback.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: GGL
Why not take a different tack, email explaining you have an unexplained charge on your credit card and ask what it is for.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:50 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I can see the ops logic. If BA claims he either wasn't upgraded at all, or was upgraded for free, then they shouldn't have his money for the upgrade they said never happened.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by OSIModel
I've just checked, sorry I was wrong. The exact phrase is
"Trying to circumvent the loyalty system"
I agree with the others saying initiate a chargeback* with your card provider. I'm also going to be chasing BA now to get the hotel I booked with for a Christmas break to refund me £1,500, because of a mistake made by BA.

*Although I like the idea Mixbury suggested too.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Club

I paid for the upgrade on the basis of getting the TP's, Avios and seat/service.

After contacting them on several occasions and no reasonable response is given If this is the only way to get here attention then so be it.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Im with the chargeback group.

Op has already spent considerable time and energy chasing this matter up, only to be stonewalled and insulted.

For all we know op is a professional charging out at several hundred an hour, I think a chargeback is reasonable for wasting this time.

Charging back also shifts the onus back to them. Let them chase their tails. It will be amusing once they "find" the proof only for you to throw all their emails back in their faces.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just called them and told them my plans. However there is a "global outage" that has effected them for 2 hours.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:05 pm

Just called them and told them my plans. However there is a "global outage" that has effected them for 2 hours.

Just thought I'd let you know.
What was the response?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
I paid for the upgrade on the basis of getting the TP's, Avios and seat/service.

After contacting them on several occasions and no reasonable response is given If this is the only way to get here attention then so be it.
Not to mention near enough being accused of lying and being out to abuse the system based on trying to claim said Avios and TPs that you are entitled to.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
What was the response?
Call back in 24hrs.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Puzzled that BA won't accept the OP's bank /credit card statement as evidence of purchasing the AUP. Had the same scenario happen to me out of ALG a few weeks ago, which was resolved when I provided my cc statement detailing the charge. BA accepted this without question.
Have to say I'd be pretty annoyed if anyone had suggested I was trying it on.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by aceman
Im with the chargeback group.

Op has already spent considerable time and energy chasing this matter up, only to be stonewalled and insulted.

For all we know op is a professional charging out at several hundred an hour, I think a chargeback is reasonable for wasting this time.

Charging back also shifts the onus back to them. Let them chase their tails. It will be amusing once they "find" the proof only for you to throw all their emails back in their faces.
I think I'd be talking to my legal friends about the exact wording of the emails from BA and whether they had defamed me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.