Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA High Life Duty Free

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by RJD1983
There must be a demand, because whenever I go by it, it's always busy. I don't go to Waitrose because it's far too expensive, and they don't have a great selection of food. Grand Marche in Town is great for me! Cheaper, and larger selection of everything.
Not seen this before, but I have no idea how you come to the conclusion that Waitrose is expensive either in the U.K. or the Channel Islands. Waitrose has a price promise, which applies to
both, that all branded goods are the same price as Tesco.

The Alliance shop, which stocks Tesco branded rubbish, is probably busy as the Co-op which used to stand on the corner opposite was demolished two years ago and there is no other reasonable sized food shop in that area.

I personally use the Red Houses Waitrose and both the range and quality of the products knocks the competition for six. Perhaps you might want to visit - it has a fantastic selection of food that beats any other supermarket in Jersey.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
to add to this for the JER WDF anyone have an idea how much the cafe creme cigarillos are there?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by ianwall
Code HFEB10 is currently giving 10% off pre-orders of all spirits at www.highlifeshop.com
Thanks for this. Stupid question but if I order some booze this way for collection on my LHR-SYD flight, does it come in the tamper proof sealed bag so I can carry it onto a connecting domestic flight, even though I have to take it through security again?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Would preordering booze effect any chance of an opup?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
I don't understand onboard shopping whatsoever. Surely it has to be a candidate for being enhanced away which would be to everyone's benefit.

Alex...take note, please Cruzify it and replace with a trolley of food & beverage items so you can properly stock your planes.

In this digital age, orders for inflight shopping should be taken on board, payment taken and a receipt printed. The handheld device should then send the orders to a storage office at the airport and you collect your purchases from a desk in the arrivals hall. That way a wider range of products can be made available, BA don't have to fly around heavy trolleys of stock which aren't essential and there'd be more room for adequate provisions of refreshments on board.

Surely this is too good to be true?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
Hi, Is anyone able to shed any light on this product?

'real' Dewars Signature costs A LOT more than than £45.

https://www.highlifeshop.com/products/dewars-signature

Appreciate its a duty free bottle, but its named exactly the same as the original...

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...nature-whisky/

Confused...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by crazyegg
Thanks for this. Stupid question but if I order some booze this way for collection on my LHR-SYD flight, does it come in the tamper proof sealed bag so I can carry it onto a connecting domestic flight, even though I have to take it through security again?
Australia has special rules regarding liquids.I think this will be removed by security in SIN.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by rapidex
Australia has special rules regarding liquids.I think this will be removed by security in SIN.
There are no liquids restrictions for domestic flights in Australia.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by EDIer
Hi, Is anyone able to shed any light on this product?

'real' Dewars Signature costs A LOT more than than £45.

https://www.highlifeshop.com/products/dewars-signature

Appreciate its a duty free bottle, but its named exactly the same as the original...

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...nature-whisky/

Confused...
+1

I'd point out its sold out in the UK which has probably jacked up the price... but reviews (from 2013/14) say it is supposed to compete with JW Blue, so couldn't have been this cheap.

There seems to be a couple of different bottle/package variants, so must be different expressions of it.

Worth a punt for £45 though...?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by perthflyer
Originally Posted by rapidex
There are no liquids restrictions for domestic flights in Australia.
The problem for crazyegg is that if the purchase is delivered on the LHR-SIN sector whether on BA11 or BA15, it will have to be carried off at SIN (even if on BA15, as the aircraft must be cleared at that point - nothing can be left on board). And once carried off the aircraft at SIN, Australian regulations mean that it cannot be carried back on board by the passenger whether or not it's sealed in a STEB. (This assumes that the purchase will not qualify to go into the LAG baggie.)

So the solution would be to order it for delivery on the SIN-SYD sector, if that is possible. But ISTR that there may be a difficulty with pre-ordering for delivery on either sector on BA15 anyway, so this may not work.

Once the purchase gets to Australia, then it's correct that there are no liquids restrictions on domestic flights regardless of whether the liquids are in a STEB..
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:49 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The problem for crazyegg is that if the purchase is delivered on the LHR-SIN sector whether on BA11 or BA15, it will have to be carried off at SIN (even if on BA15, as the aircraft must be cleared at that point - nothing can be left on board). And once carried off the aircraft at SIN, Australian regulations mean that it cannot be carried back on board by the passenger whether or not it's sealed in a STEB. (This assumes that the purchase will not qualify to go into the LAG baggie.)

So the solution would be to order it for delivery on the SIN-SYD sector, if that is possible. But ISTR that there may be a difficulty with pre-ordering for delivery on either sector on BA15 anyway, so this may not work.

Once the purchase gets to Australia, then it's correct that there are no liquids restrictions on domestic flights regardless of whether the liquids are in a STEB..
Thanks, that's where my thinking has got me to also :-)

I drink vodka and don't have expensive taste so Smirnoff Red is fine for me. However, I refuse to pay Oz bottle shop prices (around $50 usually so around £30).

https://bws.com.au/product/907623/sm...label-vodka-1l

I normally grab a couple in the Duty Free shop as I land in SYD (normally 2 for ~$60 so around £18 each).

The answer seems obvious and I don't know why I'm not thought of this before but I can grab some in SIN on the way. At S$16.40 thats around £9.25 so by far the cheapest option (actually bit cheaper than the Highlife discount and without the hassle).

https://www.ishopchangi.com/product/...rf-10l-9513-10

Presumably there's no issues with me then carrying onto the remaining BA15 SIN-SYD leg? Assuming the tamper proof sealed bag, I'll have no trouble also carrying onto the Oz domestic.

I think the reason I've never considered it before is because it's normally a quick charge to beat the queues and get a shower in the SIN lounge ignoring all shops on the way!

Side note: QF showers and lounge better and quieter at this time IMO :-)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The answer seems obvious and I don't know why I'm not thought of this before but I can grab some in SIN on the way. At S$16.40 thats around £9.25 so by far the cheapest option (actually bit cheaper than the Highlife discount and without the hassle).

https://www.ishopchangi.com/product/...rf-10l-9513-10

Presumably there's no issues with me then carrying onto the remaining BA15 SIN-SYD leg? Assuming the tamper proof sealed bag, I'll have no trouble also carrying onto the Oz domestic.

I think the reason I've never considered it before is because it's normally a quick charge to beat the queues and get a shower in the SIN lounge ignoring all shops on the way!
The desire for a shower is one reason why I seldom even think about shopping at SIN. So I'm with you on that one.

If you buy at a shop at SIN during the stop there, IIRC you won't be alllowed to carry it away from the shop. The shop is required to deliver it to the aircraft door (or the top of the jetty, at any rate), after the gate security point. So that's how the issue is resolved. But do remember to pick it up as you head toward the aircraft.

You don't need a STEB for the Australian domestic - the 100 ml etc restrictions simply don't apply.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by RJD1983
I meant Tesco in the UK. But there is a "Tesco" now in Jersey, which is not really Tesco. They just stock Tesco branded products that are 20-40% more expensive compared to the UK. It's opposite Green Street Carpark/Behind the Thomas Cook shop.

Thanks everyone.
"Alliance" is opposite Sand Street car park

For the sake of a few quid, I don't bother dragging heavy bottles around when flying. Cigarettes are a different equation
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by GLABA
+1

I'd point out its sold out in the UK which has probably jacked up the price... but reviews (from 2013/14) say it is supposed to compete with JW Blue, so couldn't have been this cheap.

There seems to be a couple of different bottle/package variants, so must be different expressions of it.

Worth a punt for £45 though...?
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I took the plunge on pre-ordering this at £45 for a LH flight. Took the flight yesterday, and it is indeed the real deal Dewars Signature, complete in fancy wooden box.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I took the plunge on pre-ordering this at £45 for a LH flight. Took the flight yesterday, and it is indeed the real deal Dewars Signature, complete in fancy wooden box.
That is just bizarre....

Wish I'd known about that a few days ago, I just got back from PHL.... my next LH is on AA...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.