Do Comair check bag weight at the gate?

Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
7 kg is non-sensical because the on-board bins have obviously been designed to hold bags that normally weigh more than 7 kg. Millions of Americans use these bins every day with baggage above that weight, as do many millions around the world. So, yes, having a 7 kg bag weigh for carry on luggage is as inexplicable as building a super-highway and having a speed limit of 50 kph. Is it safer? Maybe. Is it a huge stupid PITA? Absolutely.
A large number of Americans also shoot each other on a daily basis because they have a semi-feudal system which prevents adaptation to the modern world.
Stez and Roger like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1
Whether 7kg is right is open to debate, however Globaliser is pointing out that your observation that it is 'not common' is inaccurate.

Why not just acknowledge that rather than try and obfuscate?
I think only a tiny percentage of the world's actual airline passengers are subject to enforced 7 kg carry-on weight restrictions. Not sure why any airline -- especially one that offers free checked luggage -- would want to impose this absurd rule, but apparently there are some. The only logical reason would be to CHARGE for checked baggage. Otherwise, it actually costs the airline money if a pax says "Well, I'd rather just carry it on board, but of course my bag weighs more than 7 kg and I have to check it."

There's a reason why the US airlines are, by far, the most profitable in the world these days. They actually run their businesses like businesses.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think only a tiny percentage of the world's actual airline passengers are subject to enforced 7 kg carry-on weight restrictions. Not sure why any airline -- especially one that offers free checked luggage -- would want to impose this absurd rule, but apparently there are some. The only logical reason would be to CHARGE for checked baggage. Otherwise, it actually costs the airline money if a pax says "Well, I'd rather just carry it on board, but of course my bag weighs more than 7 kg and I have to check it."
It's not "there are some". It's "there are many".

Continuing to throw around epithets like "absurd" and "illogical" to go with "ridiculous" and "inexplicable" simply underlines the fact that you don't like this. You couldn't emphasise it more even if you were to clench your fists, stamp your feet and bawl until you're red in the face. But the truth of the matter is that a 7-kg restriction is very common. And you have a free checked baggage allowance, so use it. It really is time to stop digging; your assertion was simply wrong:-
7 kg is not common. It's not unheard of, but not common.
Stez and Roger like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a reason why the US airlines are, by far, the most profitable in the world these days. They actually run their businesses like businesses.
It didn't take long for "Not invented here" to turn up, did it?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's not "there are some". It's "there are many".

Continuing to throw around epithets like "absurd" and "illogical" to go with "ridiculous" and "inexplicable" simply underlines the fact that you don't like this. You couldn't emphasise it more even if you were to clench your fists, stamp your feet and bawl until you're red in the face. But the truth of the matter is that a 7-kg restriction is very common. And you have a free checked baggage allowance, so use it. It really is time to stop digging; your assertion was simply wrong:-
I know there's some snobbish anti-Americanism out there, but I'm sorry -- defending a 7kg carry on baggage restriction is (pick the word you prefer).

Not everything Americans and American businesses do is great. Our airlines, overall, aren't so great (largely because they're focused on making money, but that's another story). But not having undersized carry-on bag weight restrictions IS great. Deal with it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there's some snobbish anti-Americanism out there, but I'm sorry -- defending a 7kg carry on baggage restriction is (pick the word you prefer).
It doesn't matter whether it's good or bad. The point is that it is very common all around the world - but you didn't know that, and therefore made a false assertion.

But seeing as you feel so strongly that it is a bad thing, it might well be better if you didn't fly outside the US. Nevertheless, if you are planning to fly on Kulula, you need to be aware that Kulula's published restriction is that very common restriction of 7 kg, plus a personal item.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:24 am

But the point wasn't whether it was right or wrong, its whether as you stated 7kg is uncommon.

Globaliser gave many examples to show that amongst international airlines it is relatively common. Still, keep digging, you are giving us all a good laugh with your attempts to avoid the point.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Back to the topic ... I booked a business class award ticket GRU-JNB-CPT and looking at my booking on BA it gives an allowance of 1 piece of hand luggage at 7 kg for the JNB-CPT segment. I was planning on 2 carry on with one being about 10x10x15 inches and the other a backpack for a laptop, few electronics, and some paperwork. Both should be under 7kg each. Any problems here?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In theory, be prepared to lose one of them to a gate check - and if that happens, then expect it to appear on the carousel at CPT, not at the aircraft door.

In practice, I suspect that with two small bags you've got a decent chance of being OK.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Back to the topic ... I booked a business class award ticket GRU-JNB-CPT and looking at my booking on BA it gives an allowance of 1 piece of hand luggage at 7 kg for the JNB-CPT segment. I was planning on 2 carry on with one being about 10x10x15 inches and the other a backpack for a laptop, few electronics, and some paperwork. Both should be under 7kg each. Any problems here?
I did a few Comair flights in Y earlier this year with a fairly heavy maximum size cabin case plus backpack with laptop etc and didn't have any problems. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.