Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles Expiry in a Household Account

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Miles Expiry in a Household Account

I found a thread from 2012 that seems to have an answer, but I was wondering if it is still valid.

Some points:
  • I have added someone to my HHA whose Avios are expiring soon.
  • I have Silver status with BA currently which may drop to Bronze by July.
  • I don't plan on making any redemptions for a little while.
  • The person whose account was recently added will not be earning any Avios soon.
  • I will be earning Avios by flying soon.

My Questions:
Are the soon-to-expire Avios now safe in the HHA, or is there still a risk of them being lost?
Subsequently, if they are soon to be lost, would it be worth it for me to make a redemption booking and then cancel for a refund; or will this not reset the clock?

Last edited by evanderm; Jan 20, 2017 at 4:16 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA, VS
We recently had a similar situation. My wife and myself share a household account, but since the arrival of our son a couple of years ago my wife hasn't flown since. To avoid losing her pot of Avios in our HHA we simply did a £5 Tesco Clubcard transfer to Avios in her name and that restarted the clock.

It was my understanding that being in a HHA doesn't protect the Avios, there must be a transaction of some sort by the individual.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
They only need one avios to reset the clock, so

By something cheap you need through the shopping portal on their account - job done
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Could you not make a miniscule redemption yourself which as you now have a HHA set up, will automatically take a percentage off the expiring members balance hence keeping it active?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at the Guide:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html
Keeping Avios alive!
If a Blue or Bronze member has had no activity in 36 consecutive months but they are part of an HHA which has a Gold or Silver member their Avios will be protected as long as there is an active Gold or Silver in the HHA. Other than that, make sure you keep an eye on this and ensure all accounts have some activity occasionally – of course, the easiest way to do that is a redemption due to the formula above.
And from the BAEC terms and conditions:
18.1.16. For the avoidance of doubt the Avios points balance of individual Household Account members shall expire in accordance with Clause 14.4 if the individual Household Account member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the appropriate Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months. Notwithstanding Clause 3.12.1 in such circumstances the membership of the individual Household Account member and the Household Account shall continue in effect.

18.1.17. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16 in the event a Household Account has as a Household Account member a Gold or Silver Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account member any such Gold or Silver Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...nd_conditions#
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I've solved it by making a redemption.

Not the greatest use of Avios I'll admit, but I upgraded myself to WTP on my upcoming BDA-LGW flight. Hopefully, my streak of booking W and flying J will continue, but on this route, and at this time of year I have my doubts.

It was either that or change an upcoming AMS-LHR redemption to Club.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Another way of doing it is to sign-up for Reward for Thoughts online surveys.

https://www.rewardsforthoughts.co.uk/

You get a mere trickle of Avios, and it can be a total pain to successfully complete an online survey, but the extra 50 here and there can keep an account ticking along...
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Or ... free BA Amex card, get partner the companion card. iWife does groceries on her card, I do the big bills on my card. Both Avios accounts have activity. Simple? YMMV.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Or ... free BA Amex card, get partner the companion card. iWife does groceries on her card, I do the big bills on my card. Both Avios accounts have activity. Simple? YMMV.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have the RBC BA Visa in Canada (sadly not free) but it's not an option in this situation.

---

All great suggestions and I do see the importance of keeping the account active. Thank you everyone for the input.

Sadly being based outside of the UK does limit things slightly, but I just splurged and upgraded a booking I wouldn't have otherwise spent avios on.

I'm secretly hoping for an op-up now to make the upgrade more worth it, but I know my chances are slim to none. Either way, I've saved some of the Avios from expiring, and I'll have a WT+ seat on my next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.