Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GUF2 booking with TA -- some-fares now non-upgradable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I was just speaking with Trailfinders about buying 2 revenue WTP tickets and upgrading to Club World using a GUF2. In the past I was able to do this from the lowest WTP fare, however this time the travel agent apparently learned (to his surprise as well), that the GBP 1380 or so fare I was quoted was not eligible for upgrade and that I would have to pay GBP 1550 for an upgradable ticket. Neither he or I have encountered this before. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:01 pm

These are the new Duel inventory fares, they take an economy booking and you pay an extra surcharge to be upgraded into WTP from my understanding, I too am in the same situation trying to use my GUF2, a real pain.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Does this also apply to upgrading with Avios? Or are WTP fares still upgradable from the lower fare?

Also, I'd like to confirm that booking GUF2s in revenue buckets is still only possible through TAs. That's always been my understanding but the Ts&Cs on BA.com are kinda vague on this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The dual inventory fares will still allow upgrading using Avios. They are published fares and book into T class and so can be upgraded. I have just done this with a DFW - LHR and LHR - LAS ticket. I had to book online to get the cheaper fare and then call to upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm... I wonder why the dual inventory fares won't work for GUF2... Everyone's had that experience? Is it published somewhere?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I'm speculating, but I suspect it is because the fare basis doesn't correspond to the booking inventory. Although they book into T, they are likely Y or M class fares with an ADC, and so they aren't actual T-class fares.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
I think it's exactly the same when trying to make an OnBusiness booking with upgrade.

I tried to do this for a trip recently and the WT+ fare i was being quoted was more than double the WT+ fare on ba.com. I had a call with the OnBusiness team who were perplexed and said that they couldn't do booking offline for me and everything related to onbusiness booking / redemptions had to be self-serviced online. A pain if you wanted to mix classes etc.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I think you can use a GUF on these dual inventory fares.

The issue - from what I gather having spoken to BA about them - is that TAs / not all TAs can access them.

in my case, the agent couldn't find the same fare as I could online. But I managed to book it online without issues and upgrade the existing ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Yes, the fare basis is economy. So, for example, my recent booking is VLX2S1C1 so there needs to be availability in V and in T in order to book into T.

There's a little more detail here: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...nventory-fares
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
in my case, the agent couldn't find the same fare as I could online. But I managed to book it online without issues and upgrade the existing ticket.
I didn't know you could apply a GUF2 to an existing booking after it was ticketed. How do you do this?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bklink
I didn't know you could apply a GUF2 to an existing booking after it was ticketed. How do you do this?
This is only possible for a booking made directly with BA. You just call them and apply the GUF. For a TA booking the GUF must be applied at the time the bokijgbis made - it can't be applied at a later date.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:20 am

BA Trade Support unfortunately don't know the rules, and are giving out incorrect information to travel agents.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Washington DC
BA Trade Support unfortunately don't know the rules, and are giving out incorrect information to travel agents.
What rule are they getting wrong?

EDIT: for reference here is the BA trade support page on GUFs http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-card-upgrade
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
What rule are they getting wrong?
Advising that DIFs are not able to be used with GUFs.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Yes, the fare basis is economy. So, for example, my recent booking is VLX2S1C1 so there needs to be availability in V and in T in order to book into T.

There's a little more detail here: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...nventory-fares
Of course the problem with a travel agent applying a GUF to these is that they have to book straight into I and so the GDS cannot force a fare that depends on V and T being available simultaneously. The TA instructions for GUF involve specifying a fare basis, which for DIFs is a Y cabin fare.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-card-upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.