FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Does british airways prioritise avios tickets for downgrades? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1816250-does-british-airways-prioritise-avios-tickets-downgrades.html)

lotusodc1 Jan 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Does british airways prioritise avios tickets for downgrades?

Anybody else read this? Apologies if there is another thread, the search failed me..

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/01/18/does-british-airways-prioritise-avios-tickets-for-downgrades/

Fitch Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm

No-one outside Waterside really knows.

We would need a lot more data points to draw any sensible conclusions !!

mike&co Jan 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by lotusodc1 (Post 27782466)
Anybody else read this? Apologies if there is another thread, the search failed me..

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/01...or-downgrades/

Are you related to Raffles ?, he'll appreciate the publicity :D I take it the 186 replies to his article did not provide a definitive answer ?

UKtravelbear Jan 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mike&co (Post 27782520)
Are you related to Raffles ?, he'll appreciate the publicity :D I take it the 186 replies to his article did not provide a definitive answer ?

well given that there are a lot of comments noting to do with the article (just like BA flyer talk board!) I'd say no there isn't a definitive answer.

FrancisA Jan 18, 2017 12:43 pm

I would strongly suspect that status comes into this equation. Reward and no status would be bottom of the heap, but say silver on a redemption would trump a blue revenue passenger.

Of course, reality is that those on redemptions are more likely to be status passengers so hitting them first might be very counterproductive.

As a reference point, I have plenty of experience of IRROPS over the years and every time as far as I can tell my gold status is the determinant factor, not whether I am on a reward ticket or not. Thus during the new year snow problems, I was put up in the Hilton as gold, not the Travelogue with everyone else, although on a redemption booking.

Cap'n Benj Jan 18, 2017 12:52 pm

It would certainly make sense for them to do so IMO, it's been mentioned so infrequently on here, as an occurance, that even if it is something they do, it's probably not something that's really worth worrying about

Washington DC Jan 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Very much so, recently there have been tales of 2-4-1 voucher travellers being targeted by BA for downgrades irrespective of their status.

Makes sense as it minimises cost to BA (which is their main focus right now) but is illegal when they fail to ask for volunteers to downgrade beforehand.

lost_in_translation Jan 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Some downgrades are almost always going to happen unless you absolutely refuse to oversell a premium cabin, so as much as I despair about the direction of BA's premium cabins these days I don't think it would be a horrendous measure if they did target those using 2-for-1 vouchers when downgrades are necessary.

Any downgrade is difficult, but surely it makes sense to target those whose bookings have likely generated the least revenue for BA. BA is perhaps beginning to notice that First on some routes is heading uncomfortably close to AA's model whereby those who haven't paid for cash F tickets in the cabin outnumber those who have.

The only slight modification to this that makes sense to me would be downgrading those on deeply discounted cash tickets with no status before downgrading those on Avios bookings who have a high CIV.

Dave Noble Jan 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Washington DC (Post 27782695)
Makes sense as it minimises cost to BA (which is their main focus right now) but is illegal when they fail to ask for volunteers to downgrade beforehand.

There is nothing that I can see in the regulation that required the airline to ask for volunteers for downgrading - only reference to volunteers is for denial of boarding

TabTraveller Jan 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27782942)
There is nothing that I can see in the regulation that required the airline to ask for volunteers for downgrading - only reference to volunteers is for denial of boarding

It's a US requirement, not EU.

UKtravelbear Jan 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 27782887)

BA is perhaps beginning to notice that First on some routes is heading uncomfortably close to AA's model whereby those who haven't paid for cash F tickets in the cabin outnumber those who have.

They have noticed it and it was mentioned in the recent IAG markets presentation.

There are simple solutions for BA could implement. Whether they are palatable to passengers is a different matter.

1. No F avios reward seats or upgrades.

2. No staff to be put in F when on staff travel benefit. Even if it;s the only empty seat on the flight.

3. If they do do avios rewards in F then charge extra fees for it.

Dave Noble Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 27783125)
It's a US requirement, not EU.

There is a US requirement for volunteers before denying boarding, but do not believe that there is such a requirement before downgrading

Eskimoboy Jan 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 27782887)
Some downgrades are almost always going to happen unless you absolutely refuse to oversell a premium cabin, so as much as I despair about the direction of BA's premium cabins these days I don't think it would be a horrendous measure if they did target those using 2-for-1 vouchers when downgrades are necessary.

Any downgrade is difficult, but surely it makes sense to target those whose bookings have likely generated the least revenue for BA. BA is perhaps beginning to notice that First on some routes is heading uncomfortably close to AA's model whereby those who haven't paid for cash F tickets in the cabin outnumber those who have.

The only slight modification to this that makes sense to me would be downgrading those on deeply discounted cash tickets with no status before downgrading those on Avios bookings who have a high CIV.

I can see why they would do this but saying no EC261 is owed is a bit cheeky of them.

lost_in_translation Jan 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 27783180)
They have noticed it and it was mentioned in the recent IAG markets presentation.

There are simple solutions for BA could implement. Whether they are palatable to passengers is a different matter.

1. No F avios reward seats or upgrades.

2. No staff to be put in F when on staff travel benefit. Even if it;s the only empty seat on the flight.

3. If they do do avios rewards in F then charge extra fees for it.

To be pedantic, I believe the presentation said something like 'NPS high but yields low' or similar, so not necessarily a reference specifically to Avios redemptions (although may have meant that) but possibly also focused on the level of cash fares. I'm not convinced further restricting Avios availability will make that much of a difference without product changes to increase the willingness of people to buy cash F fares.

gustavmahler Jan 18, 2017 3:41 pm

While it could be very disappointing, especially for someone who has saved up Avios for a once in a lifetime F flight, I can understand that if downgrades need to be made, maybe 241 pax are more vulnerable for the chop than some. However, the story of splitting the couple and not providing downgrade compensation for the companion is just mean to me. Of course some F cabins are over sold so someone has to be moved. It's the way they find a solution that is key here.