Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Old May 4, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Clearly BoB has driven certain behaviours which didn't exist before and has also caused an odd anomaly with the flying experience.

As a GGL Card holder (and it's the same for Gold), I can avail myself of almost all of the additional services enjoyed by a Club or First passenger throughout the airport experience - First Wing, lounge access, Group 1 boarding. While I am in the lounge I can (if I choose) drink £100 worth of champagne (I don't, but I could). I could drink 10 cups of tea for free. I can take cans of beer onto the plane and drink them on the plane - I have only done this once, on the way to the 6 Nations, but no issue for the crew and they even provided glasses for us to use. I can eat myself silly.

However, once on board, but only on shorthaul economy, I can't even get a cup of tea for free, but I can in any other class or on any longhaul service in any class. There is no continuity of experience between the ground experience where I'm very well treated, to the onboard service where I'm treated like self-loading freight. The GGL landing page on ba.com declares it's"Travel as you've always imagined it"

So, you can understand why some people might decide to take things onboard to ensure that very experience as BA doesn't provide it in ET
Dover2Golf likes this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; May 4, 18 at 7:45 am
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Can anyone confirm whether the policy is now no self bring on board booze? I noticed the above quoted text in HighLife today and was surprised as read it as saying you cannot bring your own. Never brought my own on board, just curious!
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Never had a problem, but then we donít overdo it. Crew usually seem to find it funny when the little bag with pre-cut lemon slices and our own glasses comes out. We have a couple of G&Ts with our favourite Silent Pool gin brought from home and decanted into minature bottles and a couple of tonics bought on board or borrowed from the lounge. We donít ever pinch gin from the lounge, partly as thatís just wrong and partly as we donít like Bombay Sapphire that much... even at security they donít bat an eyelid.
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
If I'm flying with my wife in F I take a small bottle (Boots sell them, less than 100ml) with Campari, and on boarding go straight to the crew with it and ask them to serve us both Campari Orange (just the Campari mixed with orange juice). Never had any problems, and they usually say that it's a really nice idea. Now of course, if we had boarded half drunk and then pulled out a large bottle of scotch they may have looked at things differently ...
Old Feb 25, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
BA CityFyer policy is that passengers may not consume their own alcohol on board, and that any bottles or cans of alcohol carried in hand baggage must remain sealed throughout the flight.

Mainline policy may be different.
IAMORGAN and Calchas like this.
Old Feb 25, 19, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by zappomatic View Post
BA CityFyer policy is that passengers may not consume their own alcohol on board, and that any bottles or cans of alcohol carried in hand baggage must remain sealed throughout the flight.

Although CityFlyer will happily serve you a beer from their own trolley, free of charge!
Old Feb 26, 19, 3:23 am

Programs: Primary: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club. Also Qantas, Air France & Emirates
Originally Posted by ginger50 View Post
........ A simple glare from a crewmember had the supporters back in their seats and behaving themselves!
Thats Rugby supporters for you in general..... I bet the same wouldnt be said for a plane full of football fans?
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
They don't. They offer you the chance of buying a CE ticket which includes a free beer service. ^
Unless you're not in 1A and someone else takes the one can of Tribute they have loaded...
Calchas likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Originally Posted by zappomatic View Post

Drinks are free in economy in BA Cityflyer, are they not? In which case you'd have no reason to drink your own unless you want more than normally served.

So service is different from mainline so I'd expect policy to be different.
Old Feb 26, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the policy is now no self bring on board booze? I noticed the above quoted text in HighLife today and was surprised as read it as saying you cannot bring your own. Never brought my own on board, just curious!
We were permitted to drink our own on a flight on Saturday 2 February 2019 (Euro Traveller).
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I do sometimes wonder on my longer Euro Traveller segments how crew would react if I kindly ask for a bottle of Fizz bought from duty free at the airport to be chilled and served to us later in the flight?

I heard that on long haul it's not totally unheard of but I was wondering if BOB makes a difference here?
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL View Post
I do sometimes wonder on my longer Euro Traveller segments how crew would react if I kindly ask for a bottle of Fizz bought from duty free at the airport to be chilled and served to us later in the flight?

I heard that on long haul it's not totally unheard of but I was wondering if BOB makes a difference here?
There isnít much space to stow a full size bottle of bubbly on a typical shorthaul aircraft. The ice boxes are filled with ice, milk, lemon etc. It is possible to store one or two small quarter bottles on ice - a full size bottle would be too big.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Does BA policy still allow you to bring your own alcohol and drink onboard (beer), it's been years since I stopped flying them but having to do so next week!
Old Feb 2, 20, 6:51 am

There is no ban on bringing alcohol to consume on flights with British Airways. Some dry airlines - like Egyptair - openly state that alcohol can be brought to consume.
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Are you allowed to drink your own booze on a train or bus in the UK?
Though not illegal across the board in the UK, local councilís and railway companies can introduce By-laws making it illegal within a city or on certain rail services.
Scotrail has a by-law making consumption of alcohol illegal on train services in Scotland between 10pm and 10am, there is often legally forceable Ďdryí trains for major football games and from Aberdeen heading south when the oil-rig workers have just come off a 2-week stretch offshore.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: