Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Smid
So what would securities typical reaction to a 100ml metal hipflask?

Is there a requirement that the container be some way clear, or xrayable (I assume metal won't be)?
Provided it was contained within your approved sealed clear plastic bag there would be no reaction whatever.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Even when drinks were free on BA,I could knock off 4 small bottles of Gin and some orange juice very quickly,even on a fairly short flight,and was never anywhere near 'tipsy',so,this time I will be bringing my own,will not use Bob at all,have a couple of CE flights,so that will help!!! I feel its such a shame BA have gone down this route,did they not try this when they launched 'GO' and it failed.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold.
I did see 20 cl bottles of gin and vodka in the duty free shop in T5 at about Ł10 each versus Ł4.50 a 5 cl miniature on board when I was picking up my gin for Sweden last night

No mixers yet but early days

If they are selling out of mixers and no one is buying the spirits then it will be banned for our safety
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
So what will be the first shop after security in T5 to serve M&S style pre mixed cans for you to bring on board
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bren586
I did see 20 cl bottles of gin and vodka in the duty free shop in T5 at about Ł10 each versus Ł4.50 a 5 cl miniature on board when I was picking up my gin for Sweden last night

No mixers yet but early days
Boots and WH Smith always have a good selection of mixers (orange juice, fizzy drinks, etc). The only thing they lack is tonic, for the G&T lovers.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
This is really interesting. "Illegal to be drunk on board a plane" - but what constitutes as drunk?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
This is really interesting. "Illegal to be drunk on board a plane" - but what constitutes as drunk?
The law implies that being drunk is a 'matter of fact'. On an aircraft the captain would make such a declaration of fact.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I have just flown back from LUX,had 3 small bottles of gin,in my pocket after security check,ordered a orange juice with ice from Bob,Ł2;70p,went perfect with the 3 gins,who is gonna know unless you wave the drink under the Cc's noses???Was a busy flight,the machine froze up,and not many takers.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Not many people drink straight tonic, that'ts how they're gonnan know. Your orange juice won't tell BA anything, but the 2 tonics I bought yesterday, if multiplied by all the G & T lovers, will stir Alex into action. The announcement will say "our paasengers have told us they do not like sitting next to someone with his own miniatures" "safety on board" etc., but the real reason will be commercial. And that will really be the last straw for some of us.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:18 am

Whilst it isn't specifically prohibited by law, BA's 'conditions of carriage' do layout what is expected in terms of a passenger's behaviour. If a passenger disobeys a command from a crew member intent on ensuring the continued safety and good conduct of passengers on board, then an offence may well have been committed under the ANO.

The terms and conditions in the conditions of carriage can be quite illuminating.

11a) Unacceptable behaviour
If, while you are on board the aircraft, we reasonably believe that youhave:

put the aircraft, or any person in it, in danger
deliberately interfered with the crew in carrying out their duties
failed to obey the instructions of the crew relating to safety or security
failed to obey the seat-belt or no-smoking signs
committed a criminal offence
allowed your physical or mental state to become affected by drink or drugs
failed to obey the crew's instructions relating to drink or drugs
made a hoax bomb or other security threat
threatened, abused or insulted the crew or other passengers
behaved in a threatening, abusive, insulting or disorderly way towards the crew or other passengers or
behaved in a way which causes discomfort, inconvenience, damage or injury to the crew or other passengers
we may take any measures we think reasonable to prevent you continuing your behaviour. When the aircraft lands, we may decide to:

make you leave the aircraft
refuse to carry you on the remaining sectors of the journey shown on your ticket and
report the incident on board the aircraft to the relevant authorities with a view to them prosecuting you for any criminal offences you might have committed.
11b) Diversion costs caused by unacceptable behaviour
If, as a result of your behaviour, we divert the aircraft to an unscheduled place of destination and make you leave the aircraft, you must pay us the reasonable and proper costs of the diversion.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

Some LCC's will actively look to prosecute you as has been the case recently with easy jet.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/26/woman-...light-6406681/

Obviously the BoB era may well usher in a similar rule once the M&S bars start racking up higher costs than their complimentary service predecessors. Clearly common sense applies, it is just a shame there seems to be a shortage of this as well as Courgettes and Iceberg Lettuces.

You will know when M&S bars are hurting finances, the Ice and Lemons will disappear.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Whilst it isn't specifically prohibited by law, BA's 'conditions of carriage' do layout what is expected in terms of a passenger's behaviour. If a passenger disobeys a command from a crew member intent on ensuring the continued safety and good conduct of passengers on board, then an offence may well have been committed under the ANO.

The terms and conditions in the conditions of carriage can be quite illuminating.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

Some LCC's will actively look to prosecute you as has been the case recently with easy jet.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/26/woman-...light-6406681/

Obviously the BoB era may well usher in a similar rule once the M&S bars start racking up higher costs than their complimentary service predecessors. Clearly common sense applies, it is just a shame there seems to be a shortage of this as well as Courgettes and Iceberg Lettuces.

You will know when M&S bars are hurting finances, the Ice and Lemons will disappear.
What gets me about the Metro piece is the apparent ignorance of the EasyJet spokesman who claims that no airline permits its passengers to consume their own alcohol. This rubbish - many do, including BA. Is this genuine ignorance or just selected ignorance which happens to suit your employer's business interests?

Banning consumption of personal alcohol is not a legal requirement; it is normally implemented for revenue protection reasons.

In the case reported in Metro, the only thing the passenger may have fallen foul of was failure to follow the crews' instructions, but as it is not claimed that the crew ever gather her a direct instruction (all that was said were general announcements and comments to third parties) that is a bit dubious. Evidently the Spanish police took that view as they took no action.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: FT
Good to know it is OK. I was pretty sure it was fine on BA from what I read here.

It was perfectly acceptable to crack open the cans of beer I bought at ITM for my flight on JAL to HND. in fact, that is why they sell beer past security in the small stores..well, and to have before your flight in the public waiting area.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
What gets me about the Metro piece is the apparent ignorance of the EasyJet spokesman who claims that no airline permits its passengers to consume their own alcohol. This rubbish - many do, including BA. Is this genuine ignorance or just selected ignorance which happens to suit your employer's business interests?

Banning consumption of personal alcohol is not a legal requirement; it is normally implemented for revenue protection reasons.

In the case reported in Metro, the only thing the passenger may have fallen foul of was failure to follow the crews' instructions, but as it is not claimed that the crew ever gather her a direct instruction (all that was said were general announcements and comments to third parties) that is a bit dubious. Evidently the Spanish police took that view as they took no action.
Exactly!
Whist the policy has existed on LCCs and Charters for decades (initially for consumption monitoring purposes) it has been seized on to promote sales from onboard bars. There are very few, if any, original crew operating with these airlines and so the newer generations have been trained that consuming your own booze is illegal. This is an ingrained mantra from the get go as brand/product protection is king. I suspect only a few, if any crew on these carriers know that this is just a conditions of carriage issue on their airlines vs being a case of law.

Such is the veracity of LCC brand/product protection that any crew member caught consuming food from a bar when a failure to supply crew foods has occurred is normally fired and they need to have the nouse/balls and ability to bring it to tribunal before the airline(s) will back down. They rule by fear, even when they know they are in the wrong. But if a crew purchase code has not been authorised, pack your bags, regardless of carrier's legal obligations towards their crew. Sometimes those codes just take for ever to be arranged. Deliberately so. And it always happens on a flight time limiting duty with a very tricky slot to make.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FrancisA

A good example is some of the "dry" mid eastern airlines that are happy to serve alcohol the passenger brings. Some of them even have personal "bars" at business class and first class seats.

OTOH, USA carriers forbid you to consume alcohol on board that isn't served by cabin crew. This rule seems to have the force of law.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Exactly!
Whist the policy has existed on LCCs and Charters for decades (initially for consumption monitoring purposes) it has been seized on to promote sales from onboard bars. There are very few, if any, original crew operating with these airlines and so the newer generations have been trained that consuming your own booze is illegal. This is an ingrained mantra from the get go as brand/product protection is king. I suspect only a few, if any crew on these carriers know that this is just a conditions of carriage issue on their airlines vs being a case of law.
And when they move on from the LCCs this happens...

Palmer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.