Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia flight number + PE = 0 tier points?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Iberia flight number + PE = 0 tier points?

I took a flight a few weeks back from IAD to LHR. I booked through Opodo and they seem to have booked me with an Iberia flight number. My outbound flight was the normal BA217.

I had booked in PE as I feel it's worth the tier points for the price. I waited a few days and the tier points didn't appear so I submitted a claim. I got an e-mail yesterday saying my claim was approved and "any tier points earned have been awarded". I looked at my account and there's now an entry for IAD - LHR in my account history, but sure enough it's 0 tier points and 0 avios.

I found this strange so I called the silver line for support. They were very kind, but basically said this flight wasn't eligible for tier points. They walked me through the tier point calculator where it clearly says 0 tier points and 0 avios when flying on an Iberia flight number.

Is this right? It seems very strange that I could have actually earned more tier points by flying economy. Does anyone know what's going on? Glitch in the matrix?

Here's a screen shot of the calculator:
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sadly, it seems that this confirms the answer to the question posted here a couple of days ago.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Hopefully this anomaly in the earnings table will get corrected in due course, not least because IB is currently introducing PE on its own metal.

But OP's unfortunate case serves as a reminder that it's always crucial to check exactly what you're buying - including the operating and marketing airline - especially when using an OTA and especially if you are in the points game.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This makes no sense and must (!) be an error on BA's part. If the O and Q buckets attract Avios and TP, then it makes no sense that all or T, E and W earn nothing. This has probably been put there since IB are only just starting to sell PE and is a mistake.

I would contact the BA representative on this board for clarification. (BA Executive Club) If it is really the case then we must take all steps to avaoid anybody booking PE on an Iberia code.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Jan 18, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
This makes no sense and must (!) be an error on BA's part. If the O and Q buckets attract Avios and TP, then it makes no sense that all or T, E and W earn nothing. This has probably been put there since IB are only just starting to sell PE and is a mistake.
We mustn't forget the general rule:-And none of the PE/WT+ booking classes appear on the ba.com list for IB.

We have had this before when airlines have introduced new cabins and booking classes. QF's new Premium Economy was a case in point. QR's new R class in the business cabin. And so on. They have usually demonstrated that general rule, until BAEC changed the lists so that they started earning.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Did anyone actually get 0 points for a QR R coded flight though? I seem to remember there being a lot of worry, but points were posting - even before the date BA said they'd be recognising R
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't remember, to be honest. But I think that there is also MH I class. QF E class. And so on.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I would contact the BA representative on this board for clarification. (BA Executive Club) If it is really the case then we must take all steps to avaoid anybody booking PE on an Iberia code.
Good idea. I've contacted them. Hopefully they can shed some light about what's going on.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I'm still struggling to get a response from British Airways, but I see this now under the "Flying with our Partners" section. Seems as of the 11th of January you now earn tier points on WTP flying IB.

But note the tier point calculator hasn't been updated to reflect this.

PS - I see now the text about this being for Iberia wasn't part of the screen shot but you can see it here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As ever, ignore the calculator and use the table!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like the OP traveled before January 11th.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like the OP traveled before January 11th.
I did indeed. This is just an update on the situation.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We've had a few cases of this happen before, where some glitch on BA.com has led to valid travel classes ending up with zero points. If you can somehow get this under the radar or BAEC management themselves, or get an agent to escalate it over to Waterside, then I suspect it will get corrected properly. I'm think here of the Qatar / Canary Isles / Funchal / KEF / Catania corrections as example of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.