BA Budget Long Haul Survey

Old Jan 18, 17, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
BA Budget Long Haul Survey

Just completed a survey for BA through a third party site. It seemed to mostly be about whether I heard anything negative about them recently (hmm possibly just the off BOB teething issue) but mostly about my thoughts on whether I would still fly BA if they introduced budget long haul with less amenities than currently offered.
Some of the questions were quite leading ones, phrased so I could certainly see how they managed to get the survey answers they did for all those customers who so keen for them to start charging for food and drinks on short haul! ;-)

Couple of non leading questions that might show the way they are thinking:

"The conditions of the airline market are changing with more low cost airlines offering long haul flights. If BA were to consider offering 'budget' flights with less added amenities, how likely would you be to choose to fly with them?"

"Would you be willing to forego any of the following for a cheaper fare or pay a higher fare to keep them?"

Free headphones during the flight
Snacks Included
Hold luggage Included
Great service onboard
Free comfort bag (socks, toothpaste etc)
Blanket/pillow on each seat
Onboard overhead luggage allowance included
In-seat power socket
Hot meal included
Access to inflight entertainment system
Increased legroom seat space
Wifi
Free alcoholic drinks included
--

I know it's only a survey so it could all be hot air and it shouldn't be a surprise given Cruz's slight obsession with Norwegian that they are considering it but it would seem a difficult thing to pull off to try and be a full service premium airline for long haul and at the same time be a budget long haul option as well, even more of a balancing act than short haul.

I obviously hyperventilated just at the thought of having to pay for alcoholic drinks on a long haul flight :-)
Old Jan 18, 17, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy View Post
Just completed a survey for BA through a third party site. It seemed to mostly be about whether I heard anything negative about them recently (hmm possibly just the off BOB teething issue) but mostly about my thoughts on whether I would still fly BA if they introduced budget long haul with less amenities than currently offered.
Some of the questions were quite leading ones, phrased so I could certainly see how they managed to get the survey answers they did for all those customers who so keen for them to start charging for food and drinks on short haul! ;-)

"The conditions of the airline market are changing with more low cost airlines offering long haul flights. If BA were to consider offering 'budget' flights with less added amenities, how likely would you be to choose to fly with them?"

"Would you be willing to forego any of the following for a cheaper fare or pay a higher fare to keep them?"

Free headphones during the flight
Snacks Included
Hold luggage Included
Great service onboard
Free comfort bag (socks, toothpaste etc)
Blanket/pillow on each seat
Onboard overhead luggage allowance included
In-seat power socket
Hot meal included
Access to inflight entertainment system
Increased legroom seat space
Wifi
Free alcoholic drinks included
--

I know it's only a survey so it could all be hot air and it shouldn't be a surprise given Cruz's slight obsession with Norwegian that they are considering it but it would seem a difficult thing to pull off to try and be a full service premium airline for long haul and at the same time be a budget long haul option as well, even more of a balancing act than short haul.

I obviously hyperventilated just at the thought of having to pay for alcoholic drinks on a long haul flight :-)
Interesting. Did they make it clear if this was Y? Some of these things don't exist in BA WT as it is.

Edit: On second thoughts they must be thinking at least partially of CW given the 'blanket/pillow on each seat'.
Old Jan 18, 17, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Great service onboard

"Customers have told us they'd rather not have good service in economy class"
Old Jan 18, 17, 4:29 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Why not just hand out a packed lunch and a cuplet of water at the gate to every Economy passenger and then provide no onboard service? That way Mr Cruz would not have any crew costs for the Economy cabin. Then why not remove the overhead bins and create additional mezzanine seating? Or fill up the emergency exit rows with seats as the probability of using them is so low?

When will it stop? The current team is ruining BA.
Old Jan 18, 17, 4:31 am
Suspended

They already have a brand for it 'Vueling'.
Old Jan 18, 17, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Why doesn't Cruz just create a 'basic' cabin for those pax that are fully price sensitive with no service or catering whatsoever, and leave everyone else that values being treated like a human being well alone?

Perhaps he can convert some hold space for his new concept.
Old Jan 18, 17, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
This question is very leading...

Would you be willing to pay extra or forego for a chepaer fee? If customers say yes, "We're reducing the service levels to offer lower prices."

If customers say no: "Customers told us they didn't value..."

Is Norwegian really eating BA's lunch that much?
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
This question is very leading...

Would you be willing to pay extra or forego for a chepaer fee? If customers say yes, "We're reducing the service levels to offer lower prices."

If customers say no: "Customers told us they didn't value..."

Is Norwegian really eating BA's lunch that much?
Perhaps BA should have recruited their CEO from Norwegian rather than Vueling. As far as those questions how about offering them and not lowering or raising the price?
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Forego great service onboard? So is there going to be a section of whY where the CC will snarl at you?
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by stifle View Post
Forego great service onboard? So is there going to be a section of whY where the CC will snarl at you?
I believe that's called IB.
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
I believe that's called IB.
Am I the only one who's never had bad service on IB?
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I have never had good service on IB.
FWIW I can speak half-decent Spanish.
Old Jan 18, 17, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze; IHG Spire Amb
It's never ending. The great service thing is just depressing.
Old Jan 18, 17, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by tom139 View Post
Why not just hand out a packed lunch and a cuplet of water at the gate to every Economy passenger and then provide no onboard service? That way Mr Cruz would not have any crew costs for the Economy cabin. Then why not remove the overhead bins and create additional mezzanine seating? Or fill up the emergency exit rows with seats as the probability of using them is so low?

When will it stop? The current team is ruining BA.
Seats? Seems a bit extravagant, holding poles?
Old Jan 18, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: BA

Not entirely an open, non-leading question in my view. Implies that prices can't stay static and that by keeping any/all of these options, prices will go up (a higher fare). It's pointing you in the direction of having to forgo items to avoid paying more.

(Also, while I appreciate that people are less fussy about the correct use of less and fewer, it does rankle when those who purport to write professional copy get it wrong. I saw 'quite unique' in a press release the other day...)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: