Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG and residency requirement with BREXIT ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

has anyone any idea, how the residency requirement for the IAG holding will be met for flights for Iberia and Aer Lingus since the seat of the IAG Ltd. is in the UK, when the UK does their Brexit and the other airlines in the IAG group fly ex EU ?

Since the British PM said, that she would do a complete Brexit this might spell the end for the IAG Group or BA, if BA needs to remain in British hand and the other EU Airlines,which are part of Brexit in EU hands ??

I imagine, that this will produce quite a few headaches in the legal department of IAG...

I know, that this was already an headache for Air Berlin with the Etihad holdings in Air Berlin ...

PS.: Please excuse it, if this is more suited for one of the OMNI Forums..

Last edited by want2fly4less; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:37 am Reason: Added PS+ British PM
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
As IAG is Spanish registered, my understanding is that BA that faces issues re residency, not EI, IB et al. No doubt someone better informed than me will be able to confirm, and in the context of the drivel that the British PM was spouting today.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Perhaps they could come up with some sort of hybrid company like Royal Dutch Shell or Unilever - BA + RestOfIAG
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by rpjs
Perhaps they could come up with some sort of hybrid company like Royal Dutch Shell or Unilever - BA + RestOfIAG
just witter away about global Britain BA and it ll all be fine.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
The quicker this thread moves to OMNI the better!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srbrenna
The quicker this thread moves to OMNI the better!
My question is BA related and not political about how to do the brexit or similar....
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by want2fly4less
My question is BA related and not political about how to do the brexit or similar....
Are there any other companies in the UK with subsidiaries outside the EU, or which is fully-owned by corporations outside the EU?

IAG will probably survive like all those companies already does, and have done for years.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by theddo
Are there any other companies in the UK with subsidiaries outside the EU, or which is fully-owned by corporations outside the EU?

IAG will probably survive like all those companies already does, and have done for years.
Well that ignores the OP's question, which is pertinent because there are specific ownership rules about airlines which do not apply to other companies.

But, there is already at least one other thread on this topic so I suggest this one may be best merged with that.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well that ignores the OP's question, which is pertinent because there are specific ownership rules about airlines which do not apply to other companies.

But, there is already at least one other thread on this topic so I suggest this one may be best merged with that.
I searched for it, but didn`t found such thread in the BA Forum...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:27 am

IAG's seat notwithstanding, I wonder if the UK will have to renegotiate a bilateral air service agreements with the EU and US to keep the existing route structures open.

Could we see Bermuda II make a return?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by evanderm
IAG's seat notwithstanding, I wonder if the UK will have to renegotiate a bilateral air service agreements with the EU and US to keep the existing route structures open.

Could we see Bermuda II make a return?
There is no wondering about it, it absolutely will have to be renegotiated.

How hard or easy that will be is what's up for debate.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It's not just BA, Easyjet is in an even more compromising position flying many inter EU flights which non EU airlines are not allowed to do as a rule.

I suspect there will need to be a new agreement negotiated to sort this out.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

In my opinion, that it`ll all depend on the political will to make it happen and on how the "old" bilateral treaties were designed, if they were dissolved as the next generation of the treaties went into effect or the old treaties simply went into some kind of hibernation..
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
IAG is registered in Madrid, Spain, and all general board meetings are held in an old house within the IB campus at La Muñoza (next to MAD airport). There is also a small museum and a "first class" restaurant I was lucky enough to visit a couple of times.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Etxebas
IAG is registered in Madrid, Spain, and all general board meetings are held in an old house within the IB campus at La Muñoza (next to MAD airport). There is also a small museum and a "first class" restaurant I was lucky enough to visit a couple of times.
This will make it easy for IB, VY, EI. Just BA`s situation is a little bit unclear...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.